Ultrex lost spot-lock...

Happened twice today. Hit spot lock go to messing with tackle and look up and I’m almost into a dock the first time and blowing down the bank the second. Both times the spot lock lights were still on, hit the button to turn it off then turn it back on and it works fine. Any ideas?
    TACKLE WHORE!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hasetak View Post
    Happened twice today. Hit spot lock go to messing with tackle and look up and I’m almost into a dock the first time and blowing down the bank the second. Both times the spot lock lights were still on, hit the button to turn it off then turn it back on and it works fine. Any ideas?
    Mine has done that once or twice......also kicked itself off 3 or 4 times.........had a few times it would not stay within about a 30 foot circle of head unit.
    I think it is heavy cloud cover and being in tight hilly terrain. Seems to work fine in good clean open water. I fish the mean stuff.

3. Member
    Sounds like you may have to increase your "boat scale" setting on the minn kota ultrex remote.

Whenever it's done it to me, I seem to find fault with the coil cable getting bound up with something...or something up against the pedal. It doesn't take much to freak it out.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Member
    Not familiar with these switches but is it possible for the light to be on without spot lock engaged? Doesn't take much resistance to the pedal for it to trip off.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

6. Member
    Spot Lock.
    any obstruction that will hinder performance of the foot pedal will disengage spot lock.
    If you are in spot lock and you attempt to move the foot pedal with your foot or hand, it will disengage spot lock.
    any power issues while in spot lock will disengage spot lock.
    when you push the button on the foot pedal or with the remote the spot lock will come on. the light should be on also. When spot lock is not engaged the light should be off.

If you have done the recommended circles with the troll motor to cal the heading sensor, then you will have to do a boat scale adjustment to get it not to drift as you speak.
    It is in the hand remote. Look in the I-pilot manual.
    As stated by many guys with repair shops and you do or don't do the install, please take time to read the manual. for both the troll motor and the i-pilot. It will help you understand this motor much better.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Sounds like you may have to increase your "boat scale" setting on the minn kota ultrex remote.
    how would increasing my "boat scale" help with this? The way I read that my 80 lb ultrex is more than enough for any boat out there without adjusting boat scale. boat Scale.PNG
    TACKLE WHORE!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Spot Lock.
    any obstruction that will hinder performance of the foot pedal will disengage spot lock.
    If you are in spot lock and you attempt to move the foot pedal with your foot or hand, it will disengage spot lock.
    any power issues while in spot lock will disengage spot lock.
    when you push the button on the foot pedal or with the remote the spot lock will come on. the light should be on also. When spot lock is not engaged the light should be off.

If you have done the recommended circles with the troll motor to cal the heading sensor, then you will have to do a boat scale adjustment to get it not to drift as you speak.
    It is in the hand remote. Look in the I-pilot manual.
    As stated by many guys with repair shops and you do or don't do the install, please take time to read the manual. for both the troll motor and the i-pilot. It will help you understand this motor much better.
    I read the directions and as far as i could tell i did everything that i was supposed to do during the install process. The heading sensor was calibrated per directions, offset was set, and i looked at boat scale and determined that i didn't need to adjust that according to the scale in the manual. There was nothing interfering with the pedal. It didn't turn Spot lock off it just stopped holding position and let me drift.
    TACKLE WHORE!

9. Member
    I am by no means an electronic genius, but I do know that most charts are guides to what 95% of what they represent would be required to maintain some degree of accuracy. No adjustment is set in stone, soon I would try to adjust the boat scale and see where it gets me. If playing with the boat scale does not maintain some degree of accuracy which I am not sure how accurate it is suppose to be. My guess would be +/_ 20 feet.
    Not staying in spot lock could be a GPS issue if all the other issues that contribute to the problem are good. I would then lean towards the GPS Module. Some of these issues were encountered in the 1st Gen GPS modules, but this is the first one I have heard off since the upgrade. It may be wise that you get a hold of Minn Kota and describe your issue with them. they may be able to shed some light on what I have stated.

10. Member
    Hasetak. Set the boat scale + then - and see what it does. Easy to do and you can see if it helps or not. I have heard of some who change it for different conditions(windy vs calm) It just makes the control more aggressive or less aggressive. No rocket science here. Bob

11. Member
    Hasetek: You say it doesn't kick you out, but just quits holding you. Is the motor still "hunting" and running at that point. If so, then the boat scale setting should solve you're problem.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]