10 hp lakes near Chesapeake/Norfolk/Suffolk

I'm taking my tin boat with a 9.9 to my son's house in Chesapeake next weekend. I saw that there are a lot of 10 hp limit lakes nearby. Which one do you recommend? Probably looking for quantity more than quality. My son and his friend that wants to go are fairly new to bass fishing.

2. Member
    Contact "J Osby" on here that is his username. He fishes alot of those lakes and can get you the info you need.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

You have a wide variety of lakes to choose from. Lake Smith off North Hampton Blvd. is a good bet, as it Little Creek Reservoir right across the street from Smith. Little Creek connects to Lake Whitehurst via a canal, although you can't go from one to the other. You can launch off Shore Dr. to get on Whitehurst.

In Suffolk you have a variety of choices. Lakes Prince, Cohoon, Meade, Western Branch and Burnt Mills are all great fisheries. You have to pay for a pass to access the lakes. Ocean's East sells them for the Norfolk-owned lakes.

4. Member
    all of them are awesome.....Cohoon and Western Branch have both on my "to do" list

5. Member
    A 10.67 lb bass was caught at Lake Cohoon this week during a tournament.

6.jpg

If you would like additional reports for the Suffolk Lakes, I have them on my website.
    We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children
    ><((((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸.·´¯'·...¸><((((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'· .¸.·´¯'·...><((((º>

6. Member
    Thanks, looking forward to it.

I fished that tournament Saturday. What a hog! There was also one 8.3 lber. weighed.

8. Member
    Three more questions.
    1. Do you think Cohoon will be a madhouse this weekend because of last weekend's catch?
    2. I read that Burnt Mills is very stumpy. Are boating lanes well marked?
    3. The website I found talking about Burnt Mills doesn't say if it is electric only or not. Does it allow a 10 hp motor?

Leaning towards Prince or Cohoon depending on answers to question 1. Might try Western Branch but I read that they are working on the ramp and it may not be open. Stumpy sounds fun, especially if it contains Cypress trees but I don't want to tear up my stuff because I don't know where I'm going.

Three things to start just offered FYI. One, BassJons has a tournament Saturday on Burnt Mills. They have about 15 boats. Two, yes, Western Branch will still be closed this weekend. Third, there is a pretty large 2-day tournament this weekend (around 30 boats).

For the 2-day event, the guys will fish Prince, Cohoon or Meade. They draw the lake the night before. The Sunday location will be drawn after day 1.

As for your second question, yes, Burnt Mills is the worst regarding stumps. If you go there, stay in the front of the lake and you'll have no issues (just don't run in the coves). Meade also has two fairly large stump flats, both not far from the ramp. Prince is basically open, you'll see any hazards.

Good luck wherever you fish!

Kevin Mills

Sorry, the second paragraph above should have noted the guys will fish Prince, Meade or Cohoon on day 1.

you can use your gas motor on Burnt Mills.

12. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    There used to be a second access to Western Branch. It was located just below the Burnt Mills dam and ramp. I have not been to the lakes in several years, so don't know if that access is still there. From that launch (dirt, not paved) you had to go under a low bridge to get into the main lake.

That dirt ramp by the spillway has been closed for many years. The only ramp is now located by Lake Prince spillway.

14. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Thanks, Hunter.....I'm not surprised it was closed. It was not the easiest access, but it was the only one for many years...