Right size jackplate for 206

I have a 02 champion 206 with a 2008 Mercury 250xs. I am wanting to get a new rapid jack jackplate. Anyone know the right offset to get?

2. Member
    I think most came with 10 inch from factory.

3. Member
    I read that. I’m getting the transom rebuilt and the boat guy said that transom wasn’t made for that big of a jackplate. Said I should have a 6. Thought I would get some opinions.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Cole View Post
    I read that. I’m getting the transom rebuilt and the boat guy said that transom wasn’t made for that big of a jackplate. Said I should have a 6. Thought I would get some opinions.
    May need to find somebody else to fix your transom?

5. Member
    I have a 12 now. What is the adavantage with a 12 over a 10?

6. Member
    It's very hard to say which size jack plate will work best on each boat. Even boats supposed exactly alike! Pat could give you the particular variables better than I could but he would could tell you what works best in general. I have seen them with 8 and even one with a 12 inch. Saw a test one time where they took a boat and tried no jack plate all the way to a 10" . On that boat the 8 had the best all round performance. I had a 14 inch set back on my last Allison! I would guess most came with a ten. But just a guess.

7. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I believe 12 is too large. I hope Pat and Matt see this. They will know what size is best for your boat.

8. Member
    Call Steve at HydroDynamics. If the new transom is strong and you have a healthy 250, a 12" is what I'd get. Mine has an 8" from factory. Lots of variables... you have poles or a lot of weight in rear? The 8 handles great, thus the reason I haven't messed with getting the 12 for the extra couple mph. Good luck and be safe! Make sure they check the stringers and knee-braces for rot.
    Champion 206
    250XB

Steve's good people and focuses on straight line fast and will most likely recommend 12 as he wants to get you ever last MPH. Pretty sure 8-10 was the factory OEM. Most the folks I know are running 10's. 12 is to much IMO. Pat will be along to confirm or deny.

10. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    My old 2003 196 came factory with an 8 inch