Question Help diagnosing hpdi issue

So every once in a while first thing in the morning when I turn the key my 08 225 hpdi (rebuilt 2 years ago) will start for a split second cough and shut off. Hit the key again and just cranks and blows some smoke. I have found that if I trim it up and wait a half hour it will usually start and run fine the rest of the day. But sure enough a month down the road it happens again. Hasn't left me stranded but waiting around the ramp for it to decide to turn over is getting old. Any thoughts?

A pretty common problem with the HPDI. I fought it for two years and never really fixed it. I now love my SHO
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. Member
    My stepdad had this problem in March 2018. We adjusted the TPS and have not had an issue since. HPDI's are actually really good motors if you keep all of the filters changed.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    A pretty common problem with the HPDI.

I think my Yamaha experience will be like my Ford...first and last! Love my boat and have no reason to trade it in other than this paper weight on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticslobra View Post
    My stepdad had this problem in March 2018. We adjusted the TPS and have not had an issue since. HPDI's are actually really good motors if you keep all of the filters changed.
    Totally agree. Mine is 9 yrs old and zero issues. Clean fuel with a stabilizer and ring free in every fill up. Change boat mounted filter/water separator every year.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    14 years with mine and very few issues. Still going with 850+ hours.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Alive View Post
    I think my Yamaha experience will be like my Ford...first and last! Love my boat and have no reason to trade it in other than this paper weight on the back.
    Just like your Ford, find somebody that knows how to fix them vs throwing parts at it and you will be good. Like anything else they all break. The HPDI is more sensitive to a lack of maintenance also. What problem are you having? Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Just like your Ford, find somebody that knows how to fix them vs throwing parts at it and you will be good. Like anything else they all break. The HPDI is more sensitive to a lack of maintenance also. What problem are you having? Cj

So originally it would give me problems starting at the ramp first thing in the morning a couple times a year. No big deal. The past 5 or 6 trips it's happened once first thing and twice in the middle of the day, which has never happened before. Not sure if it's a coincidence but when it gives me a problem starting the engine is trimed down almost all the way. I'm going to put a new set of plugs in and see what happens.