Help me with my setup please

I have a 2017 721 with 250 Pro Xs I'm running a 25-pitch fury with no plugs and twin talons I get real bad walk at 68 mph can never get it passed that I checked my prop to pad and I was at 4.25 I raised the motor to 3.5 and took it to the lake it was better but still chin walking I hit 71.5 and 5700rpm I understand it takes time to learn it but I've had the boat for a couple years most likes are not big enough for me to keep going to an test but I feel like it should be better

2. Member
    Start of with the simple things. Many times chine walk is due to trimming too high, if you’re throwing a rooster tail way higher than your motor cowl that can be a sign that either the motor is too high or over trim. How does your boat sit (level left to right)in the water? Do you have 300 pounds of gear on the driver’s side plus driver etc.? Take a 3-4’ level and lay it from port to starboard on your front deck, then go sit in the driver’s seat and see how the boat sits in the water and if you need to move stuff around to get the boat level in the water. If it is way off it can make it more difficult to keep it on the pad.

I tried trimming down a little bit it'll just go to 66 and stop once I trim up a little bit as soon as I get 68 it starts.. I have no gear behind the driver seat all of it is in the center box on bow and I had water in the passenger livewell and had someone with me boat sat pretty level (by eye)

4. Member
    i have a 2015 Eyra and it will start its side to side movement @ 68-69 MPH. took me a little but it is all about preventing the movement and not controling it. with mine, i stear it to the left or right depending on how the boat wants to move. very hard to explain but now the boat will only move if i take my hands of the whell and let it move. it has become habbit for me.

the way i was tought was this.

when the front start to wobble left, you steer it left. when it wobbles right you steer it right. continue that and the boat will stay straight and wont wobble a bit. before long you wont even know your doing it. I've got a video of me driving and there is a short clip of me behind the wheel and you see the left right left right left right in my hands and the boat is flat as can be.

PS, DO NOT chop the throttle!! if it begins to "get out of your control" trim it down and start over. chopping the throttle can be very bad.

Email me the vid morais1000@yahoo.com I'll check it out and what do you mean by chopping the throttle

6. Member
    Your not high enough yet. I had the same scenario with mine. It came at 4.25 and was uncontrollable. I moved it to 3.5 which is where most boats will run but it was still not right. Moved it to 3.25 and everything was fine. Amazing that .25 makes that much difference. Only problem is mine is a 618 so your sweet spot may be different but I would go higher.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Email me the vid morais1000@yahoo.com I'll check it out and what do you mean by chopping the throttle
    chopping = cut off

chopping the throttle = totaly backing off the throttle quickly
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

8. Member
    My old 2013 721 is at 3.25". Also, move more weight to the rear compartments. My front one is nothing but rain suits, a cushion, and lifejackets. I loaded the passenger side rear box heavy to offset my big ole butt and it runs great. I have to older lower unit, so there are some differences, but all minor. As others will say, you have to drive through the chine, once it starts trim down a bit and keep your foot in it. Mine will gradually pick up speed. Good luck.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34