Echomap Ultra polarized screen support

I see where it says the new Echomap Ultra unit is polarized screen supported. Does anyone know what this means? Hopefully it helps with screen reflection and viewing angles. Also does anyone have any additional information or pictures of the new ball quick release system. Looks like it will be a couple more weeks before these units ship. Trying to decide which 12" unit to pair with Livescope. I currently have a Echomap 93sv plus unit that does a good job with Livescope but my old eyes would like a bigger screen. Thanks!

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    As for the quick release mount, look at the manual on-line, it has an illustration on how it works..... dont about the screen.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Polarized screen should help with glare. Mine has some interference with my polarized sun glasses though, dims the screen slightly. If i tilf my head a but I can make the screen brighter.

4. Member
    Tilt my head a bit

5. Member
    Just noticed you asked about echomap ultra. Mjne is a echomap plus but is defineatly polarized.

6. Member
    I have an Echomap 93sv plus unit as well. It does not list Polarized Support under the specs for this unit. It only is listed on the new Echomap Ultra series units as well as the 8600 units. I've submitted this guestion to Garmin suport but was really hoping someone on here who has gotten to test these units could offer some insight. Since it is listed as a feature on the 8600 units how about some insight for anyone using these units. Does this Polarized Support feature help reduce the glare from sunlight and improve viewing angles? Thanks!

7. Member
    Is screen glare an issue for you on your plus unit?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puhlw View Post
    Is screen glare an issue for you on your plus unit?
    Oh yes, big time. I installed the anti glare screen protector from Boxware?, it helps some but it is still hard to view in direct sunlight. My buddy built me a shadow box which does a good job but you pretty much have to almost stick your head in it to view the screen sometimes, lol. I did change to the standard blue color instead of amber. Things show up much brighter but not the same detail you see with the amber.

This polarized support is also listed on the 8600 series units, does anyone have any input who has one of these high end units, thanks!

9. Member
    I was going to say the same thing. Its only an issue for me on the amber/brown livescope screen. That does seem to give me the most detail though. Im guessing all displays may have this same issue since the colors are dark. Bright screens/colors will overpower the glare. Im 100% sure my plus unit is polarized even if not advertised as so. I can make the screen go completly black if i tilt my polarized glasses right. That only happens when you have two things that are polarized.

Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    Oh yes, big time. I installed the anti glare screen protector from Boxware?, it helps some but it is still hard to view in direct sunlight. My buddy built me a shadow box which does a good job but you pretty much have to almost stick your head in it to view the screen sometimes, lol. I did change to the standard blue color instead of amber. Things show up much brighter but not the same detail you see with the amber.

This polarized support is also listed on the 8600 series units, does anyone have any input who has one of these high end units, thanks!

10. Member
    Have you tried turing up the color gain? This helps brighten smaller returns without jacking the entire gain. Seems like in theory you should get the same image with any color pallet but not to my eyes.

11. Member
    Make sure auto screen brightness is off and its maxed out.

12. Member
    The new release requires two actions to release and reconnect the unit. You will need to press in and pull up (directions could be reversed as I’m going off of memory). You can’t disconnect or connect without both actions to secure/release the device. I’m patiently waiting on mines arrival.

13. Member
    Found some new setting l like that help with screen brightness/glare and give the blue background more detail. Try maxing out color gain then adjust the normal gain down till most of thr clutter is gone. Low auto worked pretty well for me. Used this in full sun today and had much less trouble.

14. Member
    Thanks, I'll give those settings a try next time I'm out.