Thread: Mark Twain

Mark Twain

I’m planning a trip to Mark Twain later in the month. Anyone with some advice on Crappie fishing would be very appreciative. I won’t be there long enough to bass fish but if that has picked up since past years maybe I will try for a few hours.

thanks

2. Member
    I was there yesterday and the crappie fishing was slow! The water isn't even 50 degrees yet

3. Banned
    Was supposed to have a joe bass tourney up there today but I couldn’t make it.

4. Member
    If you are unfamiliar with this lake, later this month could mean fluctuating water levels as it is a flood control reservoir. Water conditions can vary greatly as well, depending on recent rains. Temperatures should be higher triggering crappies to start the spawning movements towards the banks. If you are a "minnow" guy, that'd be the best bet - start fishing near the bank, 1' -2' deep then work out and deeper if no luck. If this is your first time to the lake, launch at the Spaulding ramp (lower end of lake) and fish the cove the ramp sits in, working toward the back end. There are planted brush piles in this cove - you'll find them easily enough. Leaving the Spaulding area there are the 2 Indian creeks, (Big and Little) that offer a lot of good crappie fishing areas, however, there is plenty of timber so motor this area with caution. Final note - if the lake is near normal and clear enough ( one foot to 18" visibility) I wouldn't bother with minnows, but throw crappies jigs under bobbers. That'll get 'em. G'luck.

5. Member
    The weather isn’t looking the best Saturday with wind and rain but I think we will still make the attempt. Any current crappie updates will be great. Mouths of coves or to the back? We will have minnows and crappie jigs. Anyone trolling cranks this time of year.

6. Member
    I'll be up there from Sunday -Wed. This is usually the best time of the month for spawning, but the weather is always unpredictable. Has the spawn started on Truman yet? That is usually about a week ahead of Twain.

7. Member
    I seriously struggled, tried backs of creeks all the way to mouths of creeks. Talked to a guy that fished shallow in the back of a creek that fished Minnows 1-2 feet deep against the bluff wall and was catching em good. Otherwise didn’t talk to anyone with much luck.

8. Member
    What was the water temperature? I might go this weekend for bass.

9. Member
    Sat - 59-60 and Sun 56-58 near Black Jack Marina. I did much better on Sunday. Everyone seemed to be catching crappie. We caught ours in back of pockets/creeks in 1-4 ft of water.
    Talked to guys bass fishing said they were doing really well. They didn’t offer much but I could tell they were hitting secondary points with black/blue one Colorado blade spinnerbait.