Sabiki rig ..size #6 ..6 "baits"...can it be used in TN. for catching bait?

Considering chasing some Stripers. Can I catch the bait legally with a Sabiki?

I've done some reading on the 'net, and apparently, some regs were changed a few years back. The comments seemed to allow sabikis with 6 hooks as long as the hooks were "small". I can hardly see the hooks on the rig. Thanks...

2. Banned
    I'd say no... Five lures may still be used on Alabama rigs, but only three of them can have hooks... I'm guessing that would also apply to the Sabiki... Dan

3. Member
    Guys around here in east TN use a Sabiki to catch bait in the summer under lights when you can't catch them with your castnet. That being said, I would still check but almost positive you can use them.

4. Member
    I’ve used them forever to catch skipjack on Old Hickory, never had an issue. I didn’t even consider the A-Rig rule.

5. Member
    I am pretty sure, from a post that I read, that the Sabikis are exempt from the three hook A rig rule, due to their tiny size.

I just hoped that someone had actually read the exemption, which I couldn't' easily find.

6. Banned
    This is from a 2013 article written in 2013...

The Chattanooga Bass Association, a long standing and well respected tournament organization has made the decision to restrict their tournament anglers to the use of three wire and three hook umbrella rigs for their 2013 season in an effort to help them better enforce the rules and regulations.

This regulation seems to be well written and very simple for angler's to understand and if not abused will allow angler's to enjoy fishing for years to come and protect the waters we all love to fish in.

Here is the regulation: Statewide Hook Restriction: Unless otherwise restricted in this guide, anglers are restricted to a maximum of 3 hooks per rod, pole, or hand-held line. Single, double, or treble hooks each count as one hook.

This restriction does not apply to the Sabiki or piscatore rigs, which are a set of small lures attached along a single line. Also, the Umbrella Rig Restriction which allowed only one hook on arrays with more than 3 lures was removed from the regulation

Tournament anglers should check their tournament rules and regulations for each tournament trail they are fishing.

https://www.wrcbtv.com/story/2125510...nglers-in-2013

You can always e-mail the TWRA... Dan

7. Member
    "Does not apply to Sabiki rigs"... That was what I was looking for. Thanks.