250 PRO XS 4S oil temperature

Has anyone noted their oil temperature during a long WOT run. mine goes up to 256* in 65* water. I cannot find anywhere in the manual that lists upper limits for oil temperature and am wondering if this is normal. sn 2b529959
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

Yes thats normal mine runs around 225-250 after long runs, the pressure is 60-80 psi depending on throttle . Mercury v8 4 stroke 200hp

3. mikesxpress
    Don what is the oil temp supposed to be for extended runs at WOT?

I can find no information on a high oil temp alarm the Smartcraft would emit. One would think it would be "alarm capable" and what would be the temp the alarm would sound off?

250 V8 #2B529759

65 water temp, 58 air temp, 28 minute run at WOT Smartcraft showed 271 degrees oil temp toward the end of the run. Once off plane it cooled down rapidly. Water pressure was 28 psi. No issues with cooling. No alarms.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 04-18-2019 at 03:59 PM.

4. mikesxpress
    Another oil related question.

The service manual shows an optional oil level sensor. If this were installed would it show on the level 1 merc monitor, is it alarmed, and at what oil level would it alarm?

5. mikesxpress
    Don how about the oil temp?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sorry guys- off on weekends.

Oil temp will vary based on a number of factors. Common to see it in the mid 250's (sometimes even higher). Each calibration has it's own specific Guardian limits, so the figures can vary from one engine model to another.

That being said- I know I've seen one well above 255 without warnings.

Oil Level Kit: This allows the Oil Level to be referenced on Smartcraft. You SHOULD be able to utilize it on the FACE of a Level-1 MercMonitor (but not on NMEA-2000).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. mikesxpress
    271° after a 28 minute run in 65° water. Longer run and 75+ water temp is going to push it up some more. Conventional oil starts breaking down at 275°.
    Were running a synthetic blend so that goes up a bit.
    A full-synthetic oil will withstand temperatures in excess of 300 degrees. Deduction says 285° and our oil will break down. That explains why these don't "make oil". It cooks off the moisture.

At what temp does the alarm go off?
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 05-06-2019 at 04:12 PM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That info is specific to each PCM calibration (honestly don't see a max spec listed in the manual).

Will make a note to check the threshold (at least a range) on the next one I rig.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. mikesxpress
    Mercury should have an optimum run temperature for the oil and what the high oil temp alarm is set at?
    The local techs don't know what either of these are. Calling into Mercury resulted in the same, they couldn't provide answers.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They surely do. However very few actually have access to the Calibration/Engineering Parameters. There are some "general rules of thumb" but I strongly suspect these engines are running some pretty high oil temps compared to some of the early 4-strokes.

I'll be sure to ask and notate info when available.