Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
  1. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Have you ever contacted the Pro you bought it from to see if he could help? Sometimes they have some contacts and a little bit of pull with the company. Sometimes the company don't know who they are, but I would think Suzuki would since they don't have that many pros running them.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    Have you ever contacted the Pro you bought it from to see if he could help? Sometimes they have some contacts and a little bit of pull with the company. Sometimes the company don't know who they are, but I would think Suzuki would since they don't have that many pros running them.
    Yes I still communicate with him occasionally. He offered up his contact last summer. I have spoken with that contact briefly before and he really helped me out with a C-10 gauge a while back (different issue). He did his due diligence to call whoever and make sure my issue was being addressed. But he was more on the engineering side of things and not really, from what I surmised, on the higher level management end if that makes sense.
    Just to be clear, Suzuki has addressed my issues. They were on this current one Monday morning after I dropped my boat off Sunday night. And this current issue wouldn't be as frustrating if I hadn't just gone through that whole ordeal last Summer/Fall that took entirely too long to be resolved. I have always pointed out their positives when I can. It's my piece of mind on a very big purchase at this point. Is this current issue a residual one from last time? All kinds of questions start going through my head. Everyone on here who has an outboard engine on their bass boat can related to some extent. If I take my boat out this weekend and run it to my satisfaction and see no issues, I'll be the first one to come on here and say so.
    Last edited by BassCatKev; 04-19-2019 at 08:51 AM.

3. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Yes I still communicate with him occasionally. He offered up his contact last summer. I have spoken with that contact briefly before and he really helped me out with a C-10 gauge a while back (different issue). He did his due diligence to call whoever and make sure my issue was being addressed. But he was more on the engineering side of things and not really, from what I surmised, on the higher level management end if that makes sense.
    Just to be clear, Suzuki has addressed my issues. They were on this current one Monday morning after I dropped my boat off Sunday night. And this current issue wouldn't be as frustrating if I hadn't just gone through that whole ordeal last Summer/Fall that took entirely too long to be resolved. I have always pointed out their positives when I can. It's my piece of mind on a very big purchase at this point. Is this current issue a residual one from last time? All kinds of questions start going through my head. Everyone on here who has an outboard engine on their bass boat can related to some extent. If I take my boat out this weekend and run it to my satisfaction and see no issues, I'll be the first one to come on here and say so.
    Hopefully it’s good to go now. I know it’s frustrating. The few buddies I have with a Suzuki love them. I wouldn’t hesitate to have one.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

4. Member
    Good luck to you. Hope all goes well

5. Member
    I have load tested some engines by doing the same thing but I hope the ramp is clean. I don't know what "water inside the engine" means. If you run ethanol gasoline and it's fresh it should absorb any trace water (I think). I have tested ethanol gas here with a kit and I can't remember exactly how it works but if it's 10% it shows 10%.

6. Member
    I marshaled with him last year and one thing I found weird was he would role onto a spot real fast then go into reverse on womp on it to stop him. I thought that can't be good on a lower unit.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I have load tested some engines by doing the same thing but I hope the ramp is clean. I don't know what "water inside the engine" means. If you run ethanol gasoline and it's fresh it should absorb any trace water (I think). I have tested ethanol gas here with a kit and I can't remember exactly how it works but if it's 10% it shows 10%.
    They're saying no water in gas. Just water in engine. Keep in mind Suzuki rep would not take time to text or call me about details as to what he did to cause alarms to stop and get engine running. I'm only going by what that rep told my dealer mechanic and THEN told to me 2nd hand. So I can't ask follow up questions as to what I could do differently or better understand situation. I did ask my dealer mechanic if he has EVER heard of water getting sucked in engine from the rear. He said "no." So now for those who have been following this from the onset, that's TWO....I repeat TWO things that have happened to my engine that they have NEVER seen before on any other Suzuki engine. Pretty amazing huh. I'll give it a good run tomorrow. My gut tells me it will run fine tomorrow.

Iv "heard" of mercs sucking up water by shifting from reverse to forward to fast (or something like that). I have never seen it though.

For what its worth im sorry your having so many issues

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Iv "heard" of mercs sucking up water by shifting from reverse to forward to fast (or something like that). I have never seen it though.

For what its worth im sorry your having so many issues
    Interesting. I don't ever do anything but go back to neutral and then to either For or Rev. I'd cringe if I ever witnessed anything different.

10. Member
    Update on 3-1 and 3-2 Engine Alarms: The regional Suzuki rep (same one that worked on it last summer/fall) has addressed this current issue. He was on it Monday morning. He does not work at this dealership so I assume he came in from out of town. I've learned from many past experiences that he doesn't prefer to speak in person to customers. So I did rely on a mechanic from the dealer to keep me apprised. This dealer mechanic never touched the boat but was my only source of communication. Early in the week it was thought that water was in the gas. I was told by dealer mechanic that Ring Free was being ran through engine at the dealership. Also that I had a bad primer bulb. And possibly a problem with #5 injector sticking.cylinder number 5. If it does not work it's way out through running, then the fuel rail and injectors will need to be removed and cleaned. By today I was told (by dealer mechanic) that there was water in the engine but not the fuel. It is believed it was sucked in through the rear of the engine by backwash somehow.This is what I was told. I'm fully aware of how backwash works on Basscats and always give it a little juice and that moment the boat comes off plane to prevent water rushing up the back deck. Anyone who owns a BassCat knows what I'm talking about. So I'm definitely perplexed about hearing that and open to your thoughts as backwash occurs to an extent on any outboard.
    I was told Tuesday that the engine alarms were fixed, Ring Free had been ran through engine for a good while, and that it would need to be tested under a load. They did not feel comfortable running the boat at the nearby river due to high water and floating objects being the current conditions. I understand and appreciate that. I was told I would hear back later that afternoon. Never heard back from anyone that day and also crickets on Wednesday. I called, left voice message with Suzuki rep today. He texted me I needed to talk to my contacts at the dealer. And of course the dealer folks had told me the exact opposite and I needed to speak to Suzuki rep since he was 100% the only person who handled it. The bottom line was the dealer wasn't going to be able to test under a load with boat on trailer until Friday morning. I had volunteered on Tuesday to do the test myself if I had approval from Suzuki and if that was the only thing left to be done. I'm quite certain it was ready to be tested Wednesday morning (if not Tuesday evening) but nobody communicated. The reason I even bother to communicate this detail is because it's blatantly obvious these 2 parties (dealer and rep) are not on good terms regarding my engine from past history. And I'm DEFINITELY caught in the middle hoping to not piss anyone off. To this day I've never been able to speak with a higher up Suzuki person regarding last summer's issues. And that will always stick with me until it changes.

Today I finally knew I could come test it which I was glad to do for 2 reasons. One to help the dealer out and save their time (rep left after what they did to get it running which I'm fine with since they have other regional issues to tend to). And number 2 I live an hour away and had time tonight to find out if it held up to a load and get it home to put tackle etc back in boat for weekend.

I got directions to the nearest ramp the dealer uses to test boats. I was told to run boat on trailer (prop spinning) for 15-20 minutes at 2200-2500 rpm and verify no alarms and runs well. I did that and it appeared fine with no alarms. So I brought it home. I'm headed to Cumberland this weekend to run it off the trailer. Hopefully everything is fine.
    I hope that all of your issues have been solved.....and yes, i completely agree that the engine must be tested under a "load"....but my question/concern is: What kind of marine dealership DOESN'T have a Dyno to test their repairs.....and then YOU have to go test it!!! Yes, i have read this entire post, but that is not a way to service a product...even though you are the second owner, it is still under warranty. Best of luck.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    I marshaled with him last year and one thing I found weird was he would role onto a spot real fast then go into reverse on womp on it to stop him. I thought that can't be good on a lower unit.
    That’s one way to stop a boat quick and wake up the fish!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20DC BULLET View Post
    I hope that all of your issues have been solved.....and yes, i completely agree that the engine must be tested under a "load"....but my question/concern is: What kind of marine dealership DOESN'T have a Dyno to test their repairs.....and then YOU have to go test it!!! Yes, i have read this entire post, but that is not a way to service a product...even though you are the second owner, it is still under warranty. Best of luck.....
    I appreciate your kind words and want to clarify that the dealership would have gone and tested it themselves but it would not have been until Friday morning. I offered to take care of it Thursday evening. They were okay with that.

13. Member
    I appreciate your kind words and want to clarify that the dealership would have gone and tested it themselves but it would not have been until Friday morning. I offered to take care of it Thursday evening. They were okay with that.
    You're welcome.....it's stories like this that just get under my skin!!! Best of luck, and i hope that you have a Great, trouble free year, out on the water fishing!!!!!

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Sir, you have so much more patience than I do it’s unbelievable! I truly hope that your issue is fixed and you never have another issue. Personally I would have gotten an attorney involved a long time ago, but I’m an attorney! You must be a great guy to fish with, you’re unflappable and as patient as anyone could be.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

15. Member
    Ran the boat today. Fishing was excellent from the first spot I stopped. So didn't run around a whole lot. But I did make several 2 to 3 mile runs at various speeds and several short runs throughout the day. It appears to be running normally.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    This will kill a motor

17. Member
    an another reason not to buy a boat from someone who I a pro of sorts.

18. Member
    Kev, I'm a fellow Suzuki 4 stroke owner as you know. I purposely selected the brand because of the "good press" Suzuki has. It is unfortunate you can't pinpoint the exact reason your warning system activated, whether it was from an actual fault or a nuisance issue with the computers, gauges, wiring and all.

We all want to know if the motor itself has a problem or is it peripherals. I'm sure you do too.

I don't like to see negative press on our motor but I do believe in telling the truth, which you have done. I just wish there was a final diagnosis and fix we could relate to.

Let us know if that data comes in.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Kev, I'm a fellow Suzuki 4 stroke owner as you know. I purposely selected the brand because of the "good press" Suzuki has. It is unfortunate you can't pinpoint the exact reason your warning system activated, whether it was from an actual fault or a nuisance issue with the computers, gauges, wiring and all.

We all want to know if the motor itself has a problem or is it peripherals. I'm sure you do too.

I don't like to see negative press on our motor but I do believe in telling the truth, which you have done. I just wish there was a final diagnosis and fix we could relate to.

Let us know if that data comes in.
    I couldn't agree more. And I will.

20. Member
    Took it back out again today before heading home. It idled fine out the idle zone and ran fine on plane at any speed for miles up the lake. I turned it off and fished for I'd say about an hour or so. Then I decided to head to another area further away. I idled out of cove for a bit and then noticed my 2 console graphs shaking and everything rattling. This is the EXACT occurrence I experienced just before the 3-1 and 3-2 codes alarmed 8 days ago. It was a calm day and this feeling is so obviously unique to when this engine operates normally. I attempted to get on plane to get the heck back to ramp (Easter Sunday nobody around if I needed towed for miles) and engine would not get boat on plane. After I realized it would not push boat on plane, I just let it run at approx 10 MPH for a bit to get however much closer I could get before alarms would surely shut it down. After a few minutes I tried to go again and the engine accelerated to get boat on plane and it ran normal. Needless to say I was glad to be back to within trolling distance of marina. Before going into marina where trailer was parked, I turned boat off, started and idled, accelerated and everything to get it to do this shaking again but it ran completely normal. I even turned engine off and just drifted for 45 minutes(while I messed with tackle and put rods, graphs away for drive home) to emulate what was going on the hour before the occurrence up the lake. After all that I just went in idle zone and headed home. Today tipped me off just enough for me to know this will happen again. Frustrating

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast