Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    No haven't had any discussions like that.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I know you shouldn’t have to do this, esp on a motor with warranty; but have you asked how much they’d give you for the motor on trade in for a new motor to re-power? It would be a last attempt, but if it weren’t too much, might be worth it for a brand new start.
    This makes too much sense. You might be out a couple thou, but if you never get another issue you can relax. You wouldn't need to pay to rig the boat any different BUT if you kept having issues you would know, unfortunately, that it wasn't the motor.
    One question: is your red line 6100? Do you run it at the limiter?
    If you were the original owner I think you would have gotten better service.

Maybe go up the hill, to to the North American head honcho for Suzuki Outboards, if not there, to Japan. The Japanese are very honor conscious.

If the word comes from Japan, remember S R D.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    This makes too much sense. You might be out a couple thou, but if you never get another issue you can relax. You wouldn't need to pay to rig the boat any different BUT if you kept having issues you would know, unfortunately, that it wasn't the motor.
    One question: is your red line 6100? Do you run it at the limiter?
    If you were the original owner I think you would have gotten better service.

Maybe go up the hill, to to the North American head honcho for Suzuki Outboards, if not there, to Japan. The Japanese are very honor conscious.

If the word comes from Japan, remember S R D.
    I really REALLY do NOT want to go the trade in route. I want this newest thing to be something simple and get a call today that it's fine and fixed and go on with my fishing.
    Are you referring to a red line 6100 on the gauge? I'd have to check. I've never over reved while running fast. Over reved one time due to cavitation when power loading I think. I doubt I've EVER been over 5900. Not a speedster. Not sure if that answers your question though.

If you've read my thread on Suzuki forum you'll see I've tried to speak with some folks higher up the chain. And that's not half of what I've done to reach a decision maker. They assign me a new case manager that has no say so in anything in attempts to appease and string me along. Whoever these higher ups are, at this point, I consider unreachable. And to find one of these Japanese Suzuki folks that follow codes of honor? Well I guess I would be dreaming if one of those came to the rescue. I truly went through all the proper customer service channels the Suzuki corporation claims to want one to do. The manager refused to ever return my calls. After emailing some other Suzuki folks (contacts given to me through some fine folks reading here on BBC) I got a call back from a new case manager. That was 5 months ago. I did call that same lady yesterday regarding these issues and she documented what was going on.

My boat is currently at the same dealer that worked with Suzuki during the 3 month fiasco last Summer/Fall. I truly think everyone is between a rock and a hard place. I've dealt with some very nice people at this dealer and don't find them incompetent or disrespectful. I'm frustrated but I know they are too. You're right maybe things would be different if I had been original purchaser. But they have to have Suzuki's green light to do warranty work. I hope this dealer realizes I understand that. They're a high volume dealer and I don't want them to be done with me. I find all of this a balancing act of advocating for myself, not pissing off the dealer and regional reps by being impatient, and sure as heck not wanting to piss off Suzuki international outboards. But my patience is waning quickly. I assure you a big reason I purchased the boat was because it had a Suzuki. I wanted to be a Suzuki four stroke outboard owner. And I will still continue to be one if they'll just make it right. I do not feel like I should be put in line to wait for service. As far as I'm concerned every day I'm waiting is a day on top of the 3 months I waited in the past. I need my boat by this weekend no excuses.
    Last edited by BassCatKev; 04-16-2019 at 08:42 AM.

4. Banned
    There’s only one reason as to why I can’t bash Suzuki fully and that was because of the video posted where the pro jumped the earthen dam on the BPT. No telling how often that happens that we don’t know about.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    There’s only one reason as to why I can’t bash Suzuki fully and that was because of the video posted where the pro jumped the earthen dam on the BPT. No telling how often that happens that we don’t know about.
    Not sure what you're referring to but interested Sounds like something I would never do but would be fun to watch.

Kev, I’ve read all of the posts pertaining to the grief you have gone thru. Man, I can even begin to understand how you have handled all of this BS from Suzuki without going postal. If it were me I damn sure wouldn’t trade the motor in on anything from Suzuki. If they replaced said engine with a new one and refunded the cost of that motor to you I’d still go with another brand. I went thru a warranty issue with Hydra Sports back in 1979 with all the same run a round crap you are getting. After a a call and a letter from my attorney I was made whole again. I hope you get this resolved to your liking.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

7. Member
    It seems you have solid grounds for demanding a new motor. I'm kind of the same way as you, I expect them to do the right thing without badgering or getting irate or anything. Sometimes that leads them to try and run over us and you have to put your foot down. Sucks to have to be that way but I would be calling and mentioning that you think it's time for a full replacement. I wouldn't be a @$$ about it, just start putting the bug in the right people's ear and see where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Not sure what you're referring to but interested Sounds like something I would never do but would be fun to watch.
    It was Phoenix / Suzuki driving Gerald Spoher I think, they took the video down

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    It was Phoenix / Suzuki driving Gerald Spoher I think, they took the video down

For someone like me it was crazy! But listening to Ike Live the other day, he said guys do it all the time.

The guy got his boat on plane, I’m guessing around 20-25mph and then proceeded to drive over a earthen dam into a waterway on the other side of the dam. The motor was out of the water for 2-3 seconds and I guess that might be enough time to throw an overheat code, I don’t know.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    It seems you have solid grounds for demanding a new motor. I'm kind of the same way as you, I expect them to do the right thing without badgering or getting irate or anything. Sometimes that leads them to try and run over us and you have to put your foot down. Sucks to have to be that way but I would be calling and mentioning that you think it's time for a full replacement. I wouldn't be a @$$ about it, just start putting the bug in the right people's ear and see where it goes.
    I'm getting there fast. I think this one will be the tipping point one way or the other. I think for most people the last chapter would have been. I was close then too.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    I'm getting there fast. I think this one will be the tipping point one way or the other. I think for most people the last chapter would have been. I was close then too.
    You have Avena or Card's old boat? Trying to think of who else has a Basscat / Suzuki combo..

12. Member
    Pipkens

13. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Dawg....me and the bank would be issuing some serious demands like YESTERDAY!!! Totally uncalled for......they have spent more $$$ trying to fix that one than a new one costs!!! I pray they do you right and just put a new motor on it.....

I sold a boat that had a 150 EFI Suzy on it, had about 50 hours on it. Some years later he had some problems, the dealer (150 miles away) worked on it and worked on it and could to get the problem taken care of. If I'm not mistaken Suzuki sent a tech from Ca. To Ne and got the problem taken care of.

Grout, in the 50's the ski club found a lake off the river. There was no access to it, no roads ect. Guys would make a run trim the motor up and slide over a berm of dirt and sand and ski the lake. It is now a Federal Reserve,name--- DeSota Bends

15. Member
    Update on 3-1 and 3-2 Engine Alarms: The regional Suzuki rep (same one that worked on it last summer/fall) has addressed this current issue. He was on it Monday morning. He does not work at this dealership so I assume he came in from out of town. I've learned from many past experiences that he doesn't prefer to speak in person to customers. So I did rely on a mechanic from the dealer to keep me apprised. This dealer mechanic never touched the boat but was my only source of communication. Early in the week it was thought that water was in the gas. I was told by dealer mechanic that Ring Free was being ran through engine at the dealership. Also that I had a bad primer bulb. And possibly a problem with #5 injector sticking.cylinder number 5. If it does not work it's way out through running, then the fuel rail and injectors will need to be removed and cleaned. By today I was told (by dealer mechanic) that there was water in the engine but not the fuel. It is believed it was sucked in through the rear of the engine by backwash somehow.This is what I was told. I'm fully aware of how backwash works on Basscats and always give it a little juice and that moment the boat comes off plane to prevent water rushing up the back deck. Anyone who owns a BassCat knows what I'm talking about. So I'm definitely perplexed about hearing that and open to your thoughts as backwash occurs to an extent on any outboard.
    I was told Tuesday that the engine alarms were fixed, Ring Free had been ran through engine for a good while, and that it would need to be tested under a load. They did not feel comfortable running the boat at the nearby river due to high water and floating objects being the current conditions. I understand and appreciate that. I was told I would hear back later that afternoon. Never heard back from anyone that day and also crickets on Wednesday. I called, left voice message with Suzuki rep today. He texted me I needed to talk to my contacts at the dealer. And of course the dealer folks had told me the exact opposite and I needed to speak to Suzuki rep since he was 100% the only person who handled it. The bottom line was the dealer wasn't going to be able to test under a load with boat on trailer until Friday morning. I had volunteered on Tuesday to do the test myself if I had approval from Suzuki and if that was the only thing left to be done. I'm quite certain it was ready to be tested Wednesday morning (if not Tuesday evening) but nobody communicated. The reason I even bother to communicate this detail is because it's blatantly obvious these 2 parties (dealer and rep) are not on good terms regarding my engine from past history. And I'm DEFINITELY caught in the middle hoping to not piss anyone off. To this day I've never been able to speak with a higher up Suzuki person regarding last summer's issues. And that will always stick with me until it changes.

Today I finally knew I could come test it which I was glad to do for 2 reasons. One to help the dealer out and save their time (rep left after what they did to get it running which I'm fine with since they have other regional issues to tend to). And number 2 I live an hour away and had time tonight to find out if it held up to a load and get it home to put tackle etc back in boat for weekend.

I got directions to the nearest ramp the dealer uses to test boats. I was told to run boat on trailer (prop spinning) for 15-20 minutes at 2200-2500 rpm and verify no alarms and runs well. I did that and it appeared fine with no alarms. So I brought it home. I'm headed to Cumberland this weekend to run it off the trailer. Hopefully everything is fine.
    Last edited by BassCatKev; 04-18-2019 at 11:19 PM.

16. Member
    I truly hope they have it fixed for you. After all u have been through with it, they should have pulled the injectors and rails and cleaned them. I can't believe you can't talk directly to the Suz tech. That is unbelieveable to me.

This says alot about Suzuki to me. All manufactured products will have an issue at some point. CS is what keeps buyers feeling valued and appreciated and a return customer. Suzuki completely blew this.

You've handled this with class. After all you've been through, this situation would leave such a sour taste in my mouth, I would dump this rig and move on. Find another Cat with any motor but a Suz and buy it. Good luck and I hope u slay em this weekend.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

17. Member
    Is 15-20 minutes at 2200-2500 RPM's on the trailer with prop spinning considered under load? I wouldn't think so but what do I know. Hopefully all is well and the saga is over for you.
    I don't always post or reply but when I do, I...?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joby1 View Post
    Is 15-20 minutes at 2200-2500 RPM's on the trailer with prop spinning considered under load? I wouldn't think so but what do I know. Hopefully all is well and the saga is over for you.
    I don't know. That's what I was told to do. But it may be this is what is next best to testing off the trailer when options are limited. But I don't know. Regardless, it showed me my engine alarms are not going off and I can possibly move on from this yet another hiccup.

19. Member
    Kev, wishing you the best,,, as knowing you have problems like this on a big purchase is hard to deal with mentally. Keep us updated.. this is a very good thread.

20. Member
    Wishing you the best and hope this ordeal is now behind you.
    Mike
    Ranger Z520
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast