Thread: NO BOW LIFT

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

NO BOW LIFT

I have a 1980 with a 150 g2 6 in jack plate 24 in raker prop and cant get more than 53mph with one person in boat. i have tried anywhere from 3.25 to 4.50 below pad with same results. the one constant issue is no bow lift at any trim angle or height. Great hole shot and midrange but no top end. Getting 5800 to 6000 rpm depending on plate height. The only thing i can think of is bad prop out of the box. Any help or anybody having same issue. Thanks jim

2. Member
    Trying a different 24 Raker prop might be a first thing to check in case it’s hub is slipping.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

How are you reading the speed? GPS or speedo gauge?

4. Member
    Need more cup on your prop to get lift.I had a 150 evinrude years ago sent the prop off had cup added gained 5mph .Stock raker props at that time didn’t lift good .

5. Member
    I’m seeing the same speed with the exact same setup. I was assuming I’d see 60mph

6. Banned
    Under powered.

7. Member
    gps

8. Member
    The other thing to check is the weight distribution in your boat. Is it running this way with empty or light load in the front compartments, or do you have a lot of heavy tackle in the front compartments? Heavy tackle should be in the back boxes.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

9. Member
    only weight in front is 10 rods and trolling motor

Bow lift is a prop issue. Once you get the bow out of the water you will get the speed. Even if you had a 115hp on the back you should still be able to get the bow out of the water with the right prop. What I am surprised is that not taking the boat out for a water test before signing any paperwork. A boat is no different than buying a car or truck...you take it for a test drive right? Why just show up and take it home only to find out that there are problems after you get it on the water?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    Bow lift is a prop issue. Once you get the bow out of the water you will get the speed. Even if you had a 115hp on the back you should still be able to get the bow out of the water with the right prop. What I am surprised is that not taking the boat out for a water test before signing any paperwork. A boat is no different than buying a car or truck...you take it for a test drive right? Why just show up and take it home only to find out that there are problems after you get it on the water?
    I don’t know any boat dealers that do test drives around here. It isn’t like a car at all.

12. Member
    Went for a ride in boat after purchase with dealer to fix problem and as of now vexus is sending me another prop and i have bought a tempest a45 to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    Under powered.
    How so?
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

I would think Vexus would know exactly what prop that set up needed.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

The new generation of evinrude props are junk. Try one of the mercury props. I bet a fury 4 is exactly what you need on there

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    I don’t know any boat dealers that do test drives around here. It isn’t like a car at all.
    You have to ask for it, and if they don't do it then don't buy the boat. You should water test before you pay for something, as once they have your money then you are left to deal with bringing it back and losing out of use time. I have a 1980 on order, and as soon as I get the call that it is in it will be water tested before I pay for it. Any boat with a 150 should be able to run 60mph, and if you have a good dealer they will have an assortment of props to bring to the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    How so?

Its not even close to being underpowered. Its actually spot on for HP!
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    You have to ask for it, and if they don't do it then don't buy the boat. You should water test before you pay for something, as once they have your money then you are left to deal with bringing it back and losing out of use time. I have a 1980 on order, and as soon as I get the call that it is in it will be water tested before I pay for it. Any boat with a 150 should be able to run 60mph, and if you have a good dealer they will have an assortment of props to bring to the water.
    Agree 110%

Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    Its not even close to being underpowered. Its actually spot on for HP!

. The performance of these boats are far from under powered.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

20. Member
    Hopefully some more people chime in about speeds they are seeing. I believe most of us are running the factory prop. I’d be curious to see if 60mph can be reached.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast