Thread: NO BOW LIFT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    The new generation of evinrude props are junk. Try one of the mercury props. I bet a fury 4 is exactly what you need on there
    my Raker HO 24p is as good as it get's. Beats an old raker, raker II and razor all over the board.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

When I was kicking around buying the 1980 versus other boats I asked a lot of questions, and the person who answered those questions for me was Keith Tripp. Keith told me that these boats should run high mid 50's to 60mph depending on the usual variables. If you have no bow lift then you are being robbed of speed, and that is pointing to either a prop or engine height issue. I have spun a hub before, and once it has been spun everything as in the hole shot and all around performance is affected...you would notice that pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by illianahunter95 View Post
    Hopefully some more people chime in about speeds they are seeing. I believe most of us are running the factory prop. I’d be curious to see if 60mph can be reached.
    60 is doable. But don't plan on running at it consistently. I can run in the mid to upper 50's all day long. I have touched 60 twice(60.1 and 60.4) I don't buy guys saying they have hit 63-65, maybe on the speedo but not actual. I am running the stock Raker on mine. There has been several others on the Vexus Owner FB page who have also touched the 60 mark.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    60 is doable. But don't plan on running at it consistently. I can run in the mid to upper 50's all day long. I have touched 60 twice(60.1 and 60.4) I don't buy guys saying they have hit 63-65, maybe on the speedo but not actual. I am running the stock Raker on mine. There has been several others on the Vexus Owner FB page who have also touched the 60 mark.
    yeah I’m running the stock raker and I haven’t seen over 53.. I’ve tried trimming it here and there and i can’t find anymore speed. Not a big deal but I feel it should run 55 all day

5. Banned
    All of the people who said they didn't care about going fast are now trying to squeeze every MPH out of their Vexus. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    All of the people who said they didn't care about going fast are now trying to squeeze every MPH out of their Vexus. LOL!
    Fast means different things to different people. Any boat with a 150hp motor should run 60mph...that is is not about speed as much as it is about the design of the boat. Put a 150 on the back of an Allison and you are over 70mph. A BassCat Pantera Classic will run in the mid 60's with a 150. A Pantera and the 1980 are about the same length which is why I used that boat as a comparison. The Vexus is supposed to have a glass like hull...so there is not a reason in the world that it should not run 60mph.

With that said they are using a Renegade prop...and I am sure it is probably not the best performing prop but more of an all around prop. I just sold my 17' tin bass boat that had a 90 Etec that would run 48mph gps with just me in the boat. 2 people would run all day at 45mph. It is not about the all out speed but when the performance does not match what the competition is achieving then what is the answer?

How does YOUR Vexus run? . Owners want their boat to perform as it is designed to perform. The tidal rivers that I mostly fish isn't 70 mph friendly. Which in my case makes the 1980 perfect. Seldom do I run it up to the top end. Most of the time it is cruising along at 50ish. However, if I wasn't getting this performance I would do the same as the OP and bounce it off other owners to see if I can figure out what the cause is. Or provide feedback.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

Looks like us non-Vexus owners on BBC should leave this forum and let the three who purchased have it

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Looks like us non-Vexus owners on BBC should leave this forum and let the three who purchased have it
    You haven't gotten any smarter the last few weeks I see. Shocking.

Touché
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

first off what are your loads, your weights and gear weight. its a lot of variables to pinpoint speed until you check it. I still say hearing this post, first make sure motor is getting WOT, make sure trim is allowing maximum trim up. make sure the of prop. Also what battery size and type, what trolling motor and type, big graphs or flush mounted. Again many variables can effect speed.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

12. Member
    Nixon Marines?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    Fast means different things to different people. Any boat with a 150hp motor should run 60mph...that is is not about speed as much as it is about the design of the boat. Put a 150 on the back of an Allison and you are over 70mph. A BassCat Pantera Classic will run in the mid 60's with a 150. A Pantera and the 1980 are about the same length which is why I used that boat as a comparison. The Vexus is supposed to have a glass like hull...so there is not a reason in the world that it should not run 60mph.

With that said they are using a Renegade prop...and I am sure it is probably not the best performing prop but more of an all around prop. I just sold my 17' tin bass boat that had a 90 Etec that would run 48mph gps with just me in the boat. 2 people would run all day at 45mph. It is not about the all out speed but when the performance does not match what the competition is achieving then what is the answer?

any boat...

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 3.24.59 PM.png

14. Member
    One difference between an aluminum boat and a fiberglass boat is rigidity. Build two boats exactly the same and the fiberglass boat will have less flex which allows it to lift better. So, assuming anyone here agrees with that premise it explains the speed differences we might see between fiberglass and aluminum. It may also explain differences between two identical aluminum boats (one is more rigid). It’s why a really good Performance Propeller shop like the one we have in Chattanooga won’t recommend blueprinting your prop to get very little more lift or speed. Blueprinting a prop works better on lighter weight fiberglass boats. The ductility of aluminum is what allows Vexus to stretch it to form the “stretched formed gunnels”. This same ductility of aluminum might in my opinion (and others) allow an aluminum boat to be less rigid. I could be making it all up...who knows...but it’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

But, to get back to the real question...what will my new AVX1980/G2 150hp boat’s top speed be this week when I get it back from the shop with it’s new foot throttle and blinker trim installed? I promise to report and hopefully get a photo of the GPS speed on it’s newly installed Solix 10 SI or even the Evinrude E-Link app.
    Last edited by Jimbug; 04-16-2019 at 07:04 PM.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
    One difference between an aluminum boat and a fiberglass boat is rigidity. Build two boats exactly the same and the fiberglass boat will have less flex which allows it to lift better. So, assuming anyone here agrees with that premise it explains the speed differences we might see between fiberglass and aluminum. It may also explain differences between two identical aluminum boats (one is more rigid). It’s why a really good Performance Propeller shop like the one we have in Chattanooga won’t recommend blueprinting your prop to get very little more lift or speed. Works better on lighter weight fiberglass boats.
    I dont know if I agree with that. If the gunnels are secure at the transom for them to sag at any point would require the sides to buckle, the extruded keel isnt moving either from its connection to the transom.
    Last edited by grandbassslayer; 04-16-2019 at 06:08 PM.

My previous 17' tin boat was a SeaArk ZX170. It was not your average tin boat as it was a collaboration between SeaArk and Allison boats. It had a hull like I have never seen on another boat, and that is why it ran as well as it did with the 90 Etec. It wasn't the best built boat, as I tore it apart in order to put new carpeting in. It was stuffed with pieces of packing foam...blocks of the regular white foam. The deck flexed when you walked on it, and cheap plastic everywhere. But it was the fastest planing boat I have ever seen, and others who rode in it were shocked how fast it was on plane. I could leave it in its trimmed running position, and still jump on plane instantly. It would stay on plane at 2000 rpm's. For what it was it proved that a good hull design could make a boat run even if it was a cheap tin boat.

So now we are talking about a 150 that is supposedly tuned to 165hp. A boat that is designed to perform should be able to run at least 60mph. It is hard to explain but to me I am not going to be running full throttle all of the time just to run 60mph...but it would bother the hell out of me to have a boat with 165hp on the back that was running just a few miles faster than a boat with a 90hp motor. I was wrestling with buying a BassCat Eyra with a 250 Yamaha...but I liked having a tin boat because I wouldn't have to worry about it all of the time as far as chips, scratches, etc. so I went with the 1980. When it comes in I will water test before buying it. If it does not get the bow out and cannot get close to 60mph then I am not going to own it. I guess it's a matter of principle to me as if I am going to pay mid $40K for a boat it better perform like I was told that it would.

From an 80+mph Eyra to 50mph tin. Quite the spread.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

18. Member
    The reason your not getting full speed I’m guessing. Those 25-30lb bags of smallmouth is slowing you down

How trim on the gauge at wot? Critical on my Etecs in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    From an 80+mph Eyra to 50mph tin. Quite the spread.
    If I was going to go back to a glass boat it was going to be an Eyra...a boat that performs and fishes great and is the performance model from BassCat. To me a nearly 20' tin boat with a 150 that I was told would run 60mph is doing pretty good on the performance side. If this was all about speed then a tin boat would not have even been in the equation. It is like performance cars...you can spend a lot of money on a car that gets you from 0-60 in 3 seconds or you can spend less on a car that gets you 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. Is the .2 seconds worth the $40K difference? I looked at a 19' Xpress with a 200 yamaha, and that was priced in the mid $50K range. Is it worth $10K to go 7mph faster? Not to me as I do not tournament fish anymore. But if I am told that a product is going to do something, and then it does not come close to that then I am not going to buy it. Words have meaning.

If I water test the boat at it does not hot 60mph but does 58mph...I am OK with that because there are always variables involved. If I run the boat and it only runs in the low 50's...there is no way I am going to go forward with it. There are too many other boats for less money that will do the same thing. As you get older you learn that if it floats what your fishing out of has no bearing on putting fish in the boat. You pay for comfort features and things that meet a need in case you tournament fish like faster boats. Again...any boat with a 150 should be able to run 60mph.
    Last edited by angleiron; 04-17-2019 at 02:32 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast