Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    We have 1 ac lot, 3br 2b about 2000 sf, value about $250k, live in country so just parish taxes...about $2100 yr property taxes and our roads look like shit.....
    Last edited by fishin couillon; 04-13-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    2000 sq ft and 2 acres ---taxes was 950 this year and i think that sucks lol
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    My wife and I drove around today and stopped at a new development in town with model homes. The prices absolutely blew me away, made me wonder what most are paying for home ownership. We have 8 acres that’s AG exempt, 3600ft Main house with a 1200ft guest house with well & 2 septics. Value of the house & property is around $700k, property taxes run us $6k a year. Electric bill is $130-$250 depending on season, water is obviously free with the well. Just want to set up a comparison and I feel like we pay too much in property taxes.

Anyways here’s the prices of this new neighborhood that have me flabbergasted. It’s a special district since it’s “new”.

The cheapest house in this subdivision is $400,000. The lot is 55’ wide, they look to be about 100’ long.
    Property taxes on a $400k house here are $11,000 a year! For the $800k house, taxes are $22,000!!!
    HOA fees $800 year.
    WATER BILL....for 5k gallons a month.....$208.00! Trash & electric are normal prices.
    A lot by itself cost $95,000 (55’x100’approx)

Surely most of America can’t be this expensive can it? Tell me you guys don’t have ridiculous prices like this.
    We have an area in our County very similar to this. 500,000 property runs ya 11,000 a year in property taxes. Cookie cutter 1/3 acre lots there are now hittting 80k sale prices.

Surely most of America can’t be this expensive can it? Tell me you guys don’t have ridiculous prices like this.

You have it CHEAP. Your property tax is high due to no state income tax. There is a reason people are moving to Texas in droves right now.

I lived in San Antonio for about 18 months, a couple years ago before moving back home to HI. In Texas we had a nice house for a couple hundred grand.... Back here we have a 2bd 1ba townhouse with maybe a 25x30 yard, two parking stalls and a 60-90 minute commute depending on traffic. We paid $630k, HOA is $319 a month, and power runs us around $100 a month (however we have a large solar system with battery backup...its just he overage (per kWh is $0.35 on average here). Our property tax is stupid high, and increasing due to the corrupt rail debacle (now being investigated by the feds 10billion $), our vehicles are $664.50yr for my f150, $490 for the SUV, and $360 for a honda hybrid). Our schools are ranked 49th in the nation, so private school it is for about $20k a year on average per kid. We don't have sales or income tax, we have GE tax, when you look at the actual impact of that its essentially a tax rate of just over 11%. Not to mention our cost of living day to day $3.85 gas, groceries 50-100% higher, etc etc. Our wages are stagnant, and much lower than the mainland in almost every field.

We are taking a strong look at bouncing out again...we both grew up here so its home, all of our families are here...However we tried to buy a new house multiple times over the past year. We were outbid every single time by foreign investors bidding above appraisal, and paying straight cash. The middle class is all but being forced to leave here. Half of all college grads are gone within 5 years. Most of my friends must have a rental unit on their home (ADU) in order to come close to affording a mortgage.

If we leave we are going right back to texas, for good this time. Boerne is higher because of what it is. The same house in NB, Schertz, etc would be a lot cheaper.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UWBASS View Post
    I have 1700 sq ft house with 1/3 acre lot, House is tax assessed at 220K, taxes $5200/yr. Must be nice to live in the cheap South. No wonder everybody pays cash for boats down there.
    No kidding!!!! I live in West Central Hellinois,3600 square ft house 67 acres.Taxes $6,600 per year. Average home price in my town of 15,000 people is probably around $70,000. Very depressed.

6. Banned
    50 minutes North of Toronto....houses in new subdivisions vary but my subdivision has about 1000 homes on 35 and 40 ft lots average price about 1.2 million....property taxes 7000.00....total sholes.....

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bass Junkie View Post
    You have it CHEAP. Your property tax is high due to no state income tax. There is a reason people are moving to Texas in droves right now.

I lived in San Antonio for about 18 months, a couple years ago before moving back home to HI. In Texas we had a nice house for a couple hundred grand.... Back here we have a 2bd 1ba townhouse with maybe a 25x30 yard, two parking stalls and a 60-90 minute commute depending on traffic. We paid $630k, HOA is $319 a month, and power runs us around $100 a month (however we have a large solar system with battery backup...its just he overage (per kWh is $0.35 on average here). Our property tax is stupid high, and increasing due to the corrupt rail debacle (now being investigated by the feds 10billion $), our vehicles are $664.50yr for my f150, $490 for the SUV, and $360 for a honda hybrid). Our schools are ranked 49th in the nation, so private school it is for about $20k a year on average per kid. We don't have sales or income tax, we have GE tax, when you look at the actual impact of that its essentially a tax rate of just over 11%. Not to mention our cost of living day to day $3.85 gas, groceries 50-100% higher, etc etc. Our wages are stagnant, and much lower than the mainland in almost every field.

We are taking a strong look at bouncing out again...we both grew up here so its home, all of our families are here...However we tried to buy a new house multiple times over the past year. We were outbid every single time by foreign investors bidding above appraisal, and paying straight cash. The middle class is all but being forced to leave here. Half of all college grads are gone within 5 years. Most of my friends must have a rental unit on their home (ADU) in order to come close to affording a mortgage.

If we leave we are going right back to texas, for good this time. Boerne is higher because of what it is. The same house in NB, Schertz, etc would be a lot cheaper.

I damn near fell outta my chair reading this. INSANE

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
    I damn near fell outta my chair reading this. INSANE

Makes you wonder how middle class can afford it.

9. Member
    1500 square foot 1/2 acre taxes run me about 1000 to 1200 a year depending on how high the property goes up or down in value. house is 14 years old now.
    What I like is my house payment is only 600 a month includes insurance and taxes. Be stupid for me to move any where else.

Makes you wonder how middle class can afford it.
    It's simple...you really can't. Poverty line for a family of 4 is $87k a year here. Over half the state receives some form of aid (We do not...to be clear). I have a six figure salary, but here that's like living on 30-40k in most of the mainland. Our state is experiencing a major brain drain, with young talent leaving in droves. We will likely be out within a year. We put a significant amount down on our house but we are still out over 2k a month on the mortgage for a 2bdr.... The market here keeps going up, it's all foreign investment at this point. If you aren't a high earner, you'll never own a home, and really never get ahead here.. you just exist.

11. Member
    Have a 2200 sq ft two unit with two car garage for boat on a small city lot. $3100 property taxes. 90 year old brick home.

New starter homes here start about $140—- bare minimums, cheapest material, and accessories. Average new home and lot, $225K-$300K.
    Our total square ft. 2400, covered deck, concrete patio, attached garage, 1/3 acre, 900 sq.ft. Shop, 320 sq. Ft. shed— taxes $3600 utilities are reasonable ( house is very insulated and all Anderson Windows) water when running the sprinkler system— $200-250 every two months.

No wonder some of y’all think it’s a joke when someone pays cash for something. Your $400,000 house is $250-$290k in other parts of the country. Friend of mine just bought a house on Table Rock. $300K, taxes $2500 range. After selling his previous house. ( which was paid off) He paid cash for the new one. That is what you should be able to do at 70 years old.

13. Banned
    I bought my last house new and sold it for $245K. It was 2350 sq. ft. upstairs and 900 finished sq. ft. in the basement. Property taxes were $675 per year.

We bought this 5200 sq. ft. 5 bedroom 5 bath home in a luxury neighborhood for $300K as a foreclosure. (Neighbors are 7000-10,500 sq. ft.) My wife is disabled, so we have no property taxes.

Our lake house is assessed at $385K, and our property taxes are $1,100.

Alabama property taxes are dirt cheap, and we are thankful. But schools are in subpar facilities generally. What I'm thankful for is 2 1/2% sales taxes on cars and boats. And we have no personal property taxes on our boats.

14. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Townhouses around here go for over a million, not sure about taxes but its MD so it's high.

It gets better if you move to a more rural area but you end up with a bad commute due to traffic. It's a tradeoff, you have to decide which is best for you.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

33 Acres, 3000 sf. house, 2,000 sf barn with utilities. Taxes are $1100 a year. The only bad thing is you have to put up with the Alabama jokes but who's laughing now.

16. Member
    5 acre lot, 3400sf main house, 1500sf stand alone garage that’s 1 bath, HVAC
    Value $425k taxes $1500

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I bought my last house new and sold it for $245K. It was 2350 sq. ft. upstairs and 900 finished sq. ft. in the basement. Property taxes were $675 per year.

We bought this 5200 sq. ft. 5 bedroom 5 bath home in a luxury neighborhood for $300K as a foreclosure. (Neighbors are 7000-10,500 sq. ft.) My wife is disabled, so we have no property taxes.

Our lake house is assessed at $385K, and our property taxes are $1,100.

Alabama property taxes are dirt cheap, and we are thankful. But schools are in subpar facilities generally. What I'm thankful for is 2 1/2% sales taxes on cars and boats. And we have no personal property taxes on our boats.
    So disabled people in Alabama pay ZERO property taxes?

Don't make sense to me. Heck sign me up.

18. Member
    [QUOTE=Bassman Ia.;10201544]New starter homes here start about $140—- bare minimums, cheapest material, and accessories. Average new home and lot, $225K-$300K.
    You can't find a starter home on the Nebraska side for less then about 190K now. Most new construction homes are starting at about 325K for a basic 1,200 Sf ranch with a 2 car garage. My house is 15 years old, 1,690 SF paid 176K for it new, it's on the tax rolls now valued at 235K and property taxes are right at 5,200. Houses are selling but building has really slowed down most of my builders expect to build less then 50% of what they averaged the last few years. The bubble is here and I think it will burst later this year. Going to see a lot of builders go under if they have not planned for the lean times. It's a cycle that happens every 7 to 10 years. Just remember it will never be cheaper then today to build.
    John the Garage Doorman

19. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    My shack and outhouse, bout $850 taxes a year, but no more taxes on any other property or toys after you pay tax when bought, I love it.

Bought our house 6 years ago new. Just outside of town. 1685 sq ft, full unfinished basement, 3 bdr, 2 bath, all real hard wood floors, pella windows, and a nice 3 car garage all on 1/2 acre. $200k even, taxes about $3500 yearly. Very efficient home.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast