Wire install on 2001 Pantera III???

Have a new 9" Lowrance HOOK2 unit and wanting to run a dedicated 16 ga. (blk-red) wire direct from battery to the unit. Right now have wires just running/taped to outside of boat rail just to make sure working correctly - it is. Now, not sure how to run the wires from battery to bow? I can get a fish-tape puller from a friend but still not seeing any easy way at all for the new wire to be threaded to front from battery. I don't care if I have to go from batt. to bow or vice versa but just can't see how - any help? THANKS!

I have a 2001 P III and I removed the trolling motor panel and the panel under the trolling motor. A fish tape went all the way from front to back with no problem. Just hug the rub rail all the way. You can also access it thru the compartment on mine. Good luck

3. Member
    So you just run the fish tape opposite side of the starting battery then. Assume pushing the fish tape thru the trolling motor plug-in once opened and should go all the way back to battery compartment then move across to starting battery? Not having done that before - is there a tube the fish tape go's thru from bow to back with nothing in the way? Also not sure what you mean by removing the panel under the trolling motor, unless that's where the T/M is plugged in or "removing the trolling motor panel" - not sure again of what that is? Sounds like one and the same to me. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobsquatch View Post
    So you just run the fish tape opposite side of the starting battery then. Assume pushing the fish tape thru the trolling motor plug-in once opened and should go all the way back to battery compartment then move across to starting battery? Not having done that before - is there a tube the fish tape go's thru from bow to back with nothing in the way? Also not sure what you mean by removing the panel under the trolling motor, unless that's where the T/M is plugged in or "removing the trolling motor panel" - not sure again of what that is? Sounds like one and the same to me. Thanks
    The trolling motor plug in panel is what I am talking about. On my PIII there was not a tube that I used from front to back. I just ran the wires and then used zip ties to attach them from hanging down into compartments or under the dash if they did. The hardest part for me to get thru was behind the seat panel as the fish tape went down a few times before I made it to the back. I went down the starboard side to under the console first and then on to the back. Good Luck

5. Member
    I would not use 16 gauge. 12, or even 10 , would be suggested to prevent voltage loss and issues down the road, and increased cost is only a few dollars. I used 10 gauge in my P2, fused it accordingly near the battery, and also installed a battery cut off switch to prevent any parasitic draw.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    I'm not electrical inclined but was under impression adding wires should be approx. size as the ones on the power cord of the Lowrance, which I think are 16 ga.? I don't have a problem picking up heavier gauge wiring but just want to make sure its the correct thing to do. I also notice, though my temp. wire I have taped to outside rails of boat for now - every time I press the trolling motor pedal a line shows up on the Lowrance. As long as not pressing on pedal picture always clear but immediately a vertical line shows up when T/M activated. The wires from the T/M and the added temp. power wire to the Lowrance are not touching but are quite close together in the recessed area.

I actually used a 14 ga outdoor drop cord and wired mine to the battery for this reason and I also still have the BP-101 dash which would cut my depth finders off around mid day day due to lower voltage even after a new 1000 cranking battery. The drop cord insulted the wires from outside interference. I only used one of the wires for my power as I had smaller units {Helix 7} but there is a 3rd wire that can be used for larger units. I used the proper in line fuse set up not to danger my units. FYI, I also wired mine to my trolling batteries instead of my cranking battery. One from each battery. It has worked flawless ever since.
    Last edited by Boatseller; 04-14-2019 at 08:17 AM.