Boat Launch on Back Bay

Haven't been to Back Bay in about 40 years. I am thinking about taking my bass boat over to Back Bay and give it a try. Where is a good place to launch from. I remember going to a ramp with a small tackle shop and going out a canal to the open water.

Bill

2. Member
    No such place anymore. You may be thinking of Bobs Fishing Hole, but that is a boat ride. Doable, but can get bumpy. Several ramps on Back Bay, but Back Bay Landing Rd ramp is the best one currently.

Lovitts? Davis Landing ? Long gone. There are a couple public launches farther south

4. Member
    Yeah, I was thinking about the Canal and realized that definitely was not Bobs. But yes, banbran is correct. Davis landing is no longer open and I am too young I guess to know more about Lovitts. Back Bay Landing is public and maintained. Idle out and jump on pad. Watch the wind direction for water levels. If water is super low, do not go. Makes for a long day.

I believe the landing I remembered was Davis Landing. That was a long time ago when the fishing was terrific! Thanks for the information.
    Bill

There is the launch off of Tulls Creek that is on a little canal. Launched there once last year but cant remember the name of it
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

7. Member
    Yeah Davis fish camp was great but its long gone. There is a dirt ramp off Mill Landing road but not much water with a North wind. Game Warden Station is probably the best ramp. Munden Point has a nice ramp and you can cut through Charlies Ditch into Back Bay on the Southern end. We used to launch at a campground in Sandbridge back in the 70's but that's history too. Good Luck

8. Member
    I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I was wondering if the fishing has gotten good enough at Back BAY to justify a trip there or would I be better off going to the Chick or Buggs?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basssj View Post
    I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I was wondering if the fishing has gotten good enough at Back BAY to justify a trip there or would I be better off going to the Chick or Buggs?
    From all the stuff I have read it may warrant a trip...thinking about going myself soon

Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    From all the stuff I have read it may warrant a trip...thinking about going myself soon
    Went today. Launched out of Back Bay Landing. Launch was nice, fishing was horrible. Fished 8 hours and never caught a keeper

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    Went today. Launched out of Back Bay Landing. Launch was nice, fishing was horrible. Fished 8 hours and never caught a keeper
    Is there much grass down there?

12. Member
    You might be thinking of Indian Cove Campground in Hell Point Creek. I think a bunch went out of there back in the 80’s

Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    Is there much grass down there?
    Ill be honest, I didnt find a ton of submerged grass. I was hoping to find some that was thick enough for punching

14. Member
    Best grass, water clarity, and bass fishing in Back Bay is East if Knott’s Island. There are quality NCWRC and commercial ramps.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    Best grass, water clarity, and bass fishing in Back Bay is East if Knott’s Island. There are quality NCWRC and commercial ramps.
    I will check that area out next time im out there

North Bay Shore Campground (3257 Colechester Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23456) has a launch into a ditch that gets you to a canal that opens up into North Bay just south of Hells Point Creek. Until 2 years ago, I launched my 21ft Ranger out of there regularly. Its a small/shallow ramp and ditch, but if you can float the boat off the trailer there's enough water to get you into the bay. Use the trolling motor until your out into the canal.