question about surge brakes and gas strut

well, the surge brakes on my 94 Javelin's trailer were leaking, so today i took the tongue apart.

This is what i found. First of all, i got this small gas strut, which seems stuck in the CLOSED position. I pulled it and it deployed, but it stays at whatever position i put it. It is as hard to pull as it is to push. And, i didnt see where the smaller hole connects. I took all the tongue apart and i cant seem to find a place for it. I even think it was only connected on the bigger hole with one of the pins.

piston.jpg

And, this is how the tongue looks from the underside:

low.jpg

So, i saw the pump was leaking from the front. The rear connectors and hoses looked clean. I took the pump apart, and fortunately i could find locally a kit with the seals, piston, and spring. I have yet to reassemble the pump with the new kit, and then put it in the trailer. I hope this is all it takes.

Now, which fluid do I need??

And, where is the small strut supposed to go?

Thank you

2. Member
    Well, i found this diagram and see where the small shock absorber goes:

now, should it be hard to push/pull?? or should it be as a normal strut that always stays in the extended position?? and that case, where can i purchase a replacement??

3. Member
    Just went through this. With as much corrosion as you have around your master cylinder you will be much better off just buying a new actuator assembly and replacing the whole thing.

4. mikesxpress
    Surge brake actuators have a 5-6 year planned obsolescence cycle if your towing your rig frequently. It's not worth the time or $ to repair anything on it. Remove & replace. DOT 3 fluid and bleed. Lots of on-line availability for the actuators.

5. Member
    As said already just replace with new its not worth the aggravation of throwing parts into an old actuator.

6. Member
    thanx!

unfortunately i live in Mexico, so getting the entire assembly would be difficult. Luckly i found the replacement kit (piston, seals, and spring) for $15, so i just replaced it after cleaning everything. I just put t back together, and it is no longer leaking, but i need to bleed the system to see if i got my brakes back.

7. mikesxpress
    Why does living in Mexico prevent one from on-line ordering the entire actuator?

8. Member
    Get a master cylinder and shock. No need to spend over $200 if you just need a master and shock. Actuator housing looks pretty clean
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Why does living in Mexico prevent one from on-line ordering the entire actuator?
    getting the parts over the border increases the price a lot... plus, a lot of times they get "lost" and never make it here... i can order to Texas, and then go and pick it up, its a 4 hour drive one way...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton420 View Post
    Get a master cylinder and shock. No need to spend over $200 if you just need a master and shock. Actuator housing looks pretty clean
    why do i need a master cylinder? I just changed the piston, with new seals and spring. It is no longer leaking. I will need to order the shock though, but i dont know when i will be able to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post
    getting the parts over the border increases the price a lot... plus, a lot of times they get "lost" and never make it here... i can order to Texas, and then go and pick it up, its a 4 hour drive one way...
    If I was going to drive 4 hours to pick up a delivery, I would have ordered the whole actuator and do it in one trip.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

12. Member
    it is a static shock, not gas.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DABS View Post
    it is a static shock, not gas.
    what he said,you might want to check out brake fluids, i thought the dot 4 and 5 was better for boat trailers,i used a mighty vac when i had to bleed mine