Thread: Camping kayak

Camping kayak

Started camping last year and can't pull the boat and the camper at the same time. Well, I could, but don't want to. Thinking about a kayak and carrying it on top of the truck. Looked at a Hobie a couple days ago. Liked it a lot and liked how you can fish hands free and pedal with your feet. What are some good options on kayaks. What about roof racks? There are some portable things, but they don't look too secure. The clamp on racks are nice, but kinda expensive. But I don't want to spend good money on a kayak and see it flipping down the highway.

2. Member
    Unless you will always have help, better check into the weight of any kayak that you select. Putting some of those 120 lb yaks up on the roof can get old after a long day. I read, almost daily, of guys that have gone from... putting their yak in the back of a pickup (with an extender).... to a trailer due to the weight issues. Tons of yaks in use around here. I rarely see a pedal Hobie on a rooftop.

I've seen plenty of Hobies roof topped but if you're looking at the big Pro Angler 12 or 14 models then I agree with the above. Generally if you see a Hobie on top of a rack or on top of a car it's going to be an Outback at most. If you're an average sized person you can get an Outback on top of a rack or car. My wife used to do it with hers and she's a fairly tiny little thing. It's not to say that you couldn't do it with a Pro Angler, it just won't be fun! My Pro Anglers have always gone in the back of the truck or on a trailer with the exception of when we make long trips cross country for tournaments. I had the need to haul three of them from California to Tennessee and back the last couple of years for the National Championship tournament and built a rack that would handle the chore. It required lifting them up to almost the top of the cab height on my F150. You are never lifting the entire weight of the kayak so it's not "too" bad although it's definitely a work out.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. I'm looking at the Compass and the Revolution 11.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What kind of camper do you have?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I’m a big guy so it would be an easy choice for me between those two. The Compass is way more stable and can still handle me at 6’4” and 250lbs. I can stand and fish in it with no problem. You definitely need to try both models before you buy one!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    What kind of camper do you have?

Coachmen Freedom Express 192

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    I’m a big guy so it would be an easy choice for me between those two. The Compass is way more stable and can still handle me at 6’4” and 250lbs. I can stand and fish in it with no problem. You definitely need to try both models before you buy one!!
    A dealer is having a test day in a couple of weeks. Plan on trying both.

The Compass comes with the Hobie Mirage Drive V2. That model doesn't have reverse. Most dealers will allow you to upgrade to the newer Mirage Drive 180 (with reverse) for around $250 or so if done at the time of purchase. That would be absolutely worth the money to me!! I've been in Hobies since 2011 and have had quite a number of them. I sold one of my hulls a few years ago and used one of my older Pro Angler 14's while I awaited my new hull to arrive. That older Pro Angler didn't have reverse and I didn't think it would be much of an issue. Boy was I wrong!!!! I never realized how much I used the reverse and how important it had become to me. I wouldn't be without it again!! Just something to think about before you make your purchase!

10. Member
    Went to a Hobie shop last week while out of town. They would upgrade to the reverse for $204.

That's a deal for sure! Right now I've got a PA14 and a PA12 along with my wife's Bonafide SS107. We are a split household with each of us on a different manufacturer's team! LOL If I was to buy another Hobie to add to the fleet it would either be the Compass or the Outback. The only reason I'd lean towards the Outback out of those two would be the dual steering. Once you've had the ability to steer from either side (as is the case on the Pro Anglers) it's hard to go back to only having the steering on one side!

With the Compass you can always add the rectangular center hatch like the Pro Angler's have for extra storage. That would be a must for me. As well as adding the a couple lengths of H-Rail on the sides for mounting horizontal rod holders, fish finder, etc. The Compass comes in at a low price point as far as Hobies go and they are basically a blank canvas that you can customize however you like.