Thread: Shimano Guys

Shimano Guys

What reel would you use for flip'n with 8' stick, Curado 201i hg, 201k xg or 71xg ?
    Last edited by jerrysfishing; 04-12-2019 at 07:41 PM.

2. Member
    71xg > 201k xg > 201i hg.

71xg vs 201kxg : 71xg - you get lighter weight ~1oz saving and smaller form factor, plus you don't need much line 200 sized reels provide. The micro mods in the K is nice, definitely the smoothest reel out of the 3 mentioned.

201k xg vs 201i hg: K wins hands down. way smoother, and with flipping, the XG speed is a nice advantage.

I have owned all 3 reels mentioned.

3. Member
    Call Brian at the Tackle Trap. He can steer you in the right direction.

I gotta agree with khoadvu for the reels you mentioned. The 71 is an awesome little reel. Never was a big fan of the I series reels, the k is a huge improvement.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jay74 View Post
    Call Brian at the Tackle Trap. He can steer you in the right direction.
    Tackle Trap isn’t carrying Shimano any more. I’m sure they’d be glad to chat with you and help you decide, but you wouldn’t be able to order from them.
    1997 Triton Tr-21
    1999 Johnson 225HO

Heavy flippin..201 K XG

KHG, or 70HG.....you lose torgue (power)when you go up to 8:5-1. I prefer 7:1 for heavy flipping/punching. When I use the 70 I have a larger handle on it. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

8. Member
    I'm going to try an Aldebaran 31 this season. I don't get to flip or punch much around here except when I head out to the Cali Delta (maybe 2-3 times a year). It's definitely a painful task if you're not used to flipping a 3/4 - 1.5oz tungsten. Although the Aldebaran only has about 10lbs of drag, I'm hoping the light weight will make it a bit more comfortable to flip and punch through out the day.

9. Member
    Get ready to buy gear sets. Aldebaran are not built tough enough to handle any heavy cover punching and or flipping.

I strongly agree with Dan(ReelEx) on this. A 7:1 gear ratio, and preferably brass gears, since they will take the abuse of powerful hooksets better than aluminum gears.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bunz559 View Post
    I'm going to try an Aldebaran 31 this season. I don't get to flip or punch much around here except when I head out to the Cali Delta (maybe 2-3 times a year). It's definitely a painful task if you're not used to flipping a 3/4 - 1.5oz tungsten. Although the Aldebaran only has about 10lbs of drag, I'm hoping the light weight will make it a bit more comfortable to flip and punch through out the day.
    Not exactly the right tool for the job. That reel will be toast quickly.

11. Member
    Other than the aluminum gear, what else is not tough about the Aldebaran? Just curious. I've opened it up and everything looks pretty similar to any other reel. Drag could be better and handle could be larger.

12. Member
    I had Dan put some brass gears in a Aldebaran MG7, not what I use to punch but I do pitch with it (20lb flouro), haven't had a problem.

For the OP, I'd go with the 71 though.

13. Banned
    Other than the aluminum gear, what else is not tough about the Aldebaran? Just curious. I've opened it up and everything looks pretty similar to any other reel. Drag could be better and handle could be larger.
    Roller clutch is weak.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I had Dan put some brass gears in a Aldebaran MG7, not what I use to punch but I do pitch with it (20lb flouro), haven't had a problem.

For the OP, I'd go with the 71 though.
    You are comparing a reel that was quality, to a reel that IMO isn't. For the money, the newer Aldebaran reels are not what they used to be as far as durability.

they werent designed to be what the 100 was. The 50 was designed as a "finesse" reel and isnt good for much other than that. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

If you're going shimano , curado k 201 hg.

17. Member
    I had 3 70's with curado k handles on them. They were lighter than the k but the k is smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    You are comparing a reel that was quality, to a reel that IMO isn't. For the money, the newer Aldebaran reels are not what they used to be as far as durability.
    I've almost gone exclusive with the Aldebaran/Core 50 platform and I've thrown pretty much everything with it! (haven't tried an A-rig YET). While the drag doesn't max out very high, the higher power of a flipping stick and braid makes up for what you need to drive a hook into the fish.
    The best part about this platform is the number of variants that exists with different gear speeds and material.
    Aldebaran: MG (5.8:1) MG7 (7:1) BFS XG (8:1)
    Curado 50E / Chronarch 50E (6.4:1) Brass gears
    Brenious (7.7:1) Brass gears
    united in the pursuit of bass.

19. Banned
    New Bantam...

20. Member
    I would say the bantam is a great candidate.

Or if you like the 70 form factor you could go off the normal path and get an engetsu hg from Japan. Its a essentially a saltwater scorpion/curado 70 with an aluminum handle sideplate, brass 7.8 micro module gears and the clicking "excited" drag. Big 102mm handle. Weighs 7.54oz on my scale, but swap the massive handle at it would probably go at or under 7oz.