USPS insurance claim on broken rod

Has anyone ever had a broken rod through USPS with insurance and done a claim? Those guys at the post office don’t even know how their insurance works. Is it worth purchasing their insurance coverage?

from my experience, absolutely. I had 3 rods broken when shipping to purchasers. It was absolutely seemless and I had re-imbursement in less than 2 weeks. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

I was told by a USPS employee , they hope you get frustrated and give up.
    Their claims are done online only and it only covers the seller. Don't except any help from somebody at your local PO.
    Last edited by JohnD.; 04-12-2019 at 11:37 PM.

4. Member
    Good luck with the claim.

5. Member
    @reelex.
    Thank you, I hope they can be that fast when doing a claim. We’re those rods broken in the cardboard rod tubes?

6. Member
    @johnD. The guy over the counter at the post office told me “ don’t ask me about it, either you buy it or you don’t” pretty rude.

7. Member
    I would say there is 99 percent chance they will deny it.

I had a $350 custom rod built. The package arrived in an L. The rod was broken and a claim was filed. They denied it. I am out $350

Quote Originally Posted by Yeng View Post
    @johnD. The guy over the counter at the post office told me “ don’t ask me about it, either you buy it or you don’t” pretty rude.
    I deal with the PO on a daily basis for work. Other carriers are quick and easy , don't except much out of the USPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeng View Post
    @reelex.
    Thank you, I hope they can be that fast when doing a claim. We’re those rods broken in the cardboard rod tubes?
    as a shipper I have never had an issue. FedEx is quick as well. UPS was ...no comment.....If you were the shipper you should have no problem. My postmaster was extremely helpful
    Yes you file online but it is pretty seemless. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

We stopped using USPS because of the issues involved with claims. They were really good and very easy to work with. File online, etc - then things changed. We switched to FedEx and don't make more than about 2 claims a year. Not having to make claims is easier all around.

11. Member
    I just sold two rods to a gentlemen on here and they arrived yesterday to him broken. I shipped them in a Tackle Trap/TW style thick cardboard tube with the white plastic end caps taped up on each end. The rods were place together with styrofoam over the tips and in their proper plastic reel bags inside. The tube was snapped in half and re-wrapped in USPS tape. The buyer was upset (rightly so) but I am working with him to make it right. Thank goodness I insured them. I called the local post office today and they said that he has to fill out a 3831 form the post office and have it time stamped. He can then email or text me a copy of that so that I may attach it to my online claim. Once I get my claim, I can refund him his money for the purchase. It just stinks because I take a lot of pride in shipping things correctly and safely and I couldn't imagine how those rods ended up like that.

12. Member

13. Member

Don't use USPS...plain and simple. Insurance is great to have...but be prepared to wait at least 5 weeks before they move on it. Had one rod I received broken through USPS...what a pain in the butt.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    Don't use USPS...plain and simple. Insurance is great to have...but be prepared to wait at least 5 weeks before they move on it. Had one rod I received broken through USPS...what a pain in the butt.
    Five weeks? What sort of documentation did you need for the claim? Tracking number, insurance receipt?

16. Member
    I quit selling rods for this reason. A couple of years I received a rod container from the Tackle Trap that was actually broken into two pieces. When I asked the carrier about the damaged container/rod he told me that the shipper had shipped that way. I was waiting on him to break out in a smile. He was dead serious. Of coarse Brian shipped me another rod and I shipped him the broken rod back. Then about six months later I bought a rod from a fellow BBC member and the container was flat as a pancake. You could see where someone rolled over the container with some sort of truck/cart. I took it to the post office and the lady said that the post office didn't do it and I showed her the tire marks. She still denied it. I believe they are trained to deny everything. I'm waiting until the United States Postal service is privatized before I use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bass1 View Post
    Five weeks? What sort of documentation did you need for the claim? Tracking number, insurance receipt?
    I had plenty of documentation...however the people I needed to speak to in order to get it processed were only there for certain periods of time throughout the day. I wasn't going to take time off just to get a claim filed. Once it did get to the right people it took another few weeks to get it processed.