Where is the water pump.impellor? 2.2 two cycle OLD (can't find serial number)

Since my wrists are giving out (loaded with arthritis) I thought I would switch from Casting to Trolling.

Years ago, I bought a 2.2 Merc that might be fine to push my little 17 ft light-weight tin boat around on our calm rivers in East TN. This little motor started right up after adding new plugs and fuel, but, of course, wasn't peeing. I shut her down very quickly. I thought I would replace the impeller.

I watched a number of YouTube videos, but most of them were for a 4.5 Merc. None were available for the 2.2 Merc.

When I pulled the lower unit (anyhow, I think it was the lower unit...it was only 7 inches long and contained the propellor), I found the long brass tube that was described in the videos. I found the square drive shaft. I did NOT find the normal looking water pump that was shown in the 4.5 videos.

it took some grunting, but I got the rubber fitting out that held the brass tube. Inside, where I expected to find an old impeller, I found a ball-bearing "race??" I am reluctant to pull that out ....but I think I could with the right expanding pliers.

No sign of the water pump so far. Am I looking in the right place? Is the water pump BELOW that ball-bearing fitting? It doesn't look like there is a lot of room below the race but...???...

I will try to attach a picture of the ball-bearing device. Hope someone can help this old 79-year-old codger. I have NEVER replaced a water pump before but was heartened after watching the videos., If only MY unit had the same pump and arrangement....

I have so little $$$ in the motor that paying my mechanic $115.00 per hour to replace the impeller just didn't make a lot of sense. He even agreed with me and said he was sure I could do it. Any help or advice appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Oh, in addition to my "fix it" query above, is a 2.2 Merc too small to use for trolling with a 1756 tin boat? Maybe I am wasting my time.

It might be an air cooled motor

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

4. Member
    Nah...I forgot that I had a PDF file of the original manual from one of my other sites.

Imagine..I have now read the manual, as far as the water pump goes. It seems that in the case of the water pump for the 2.2 ( and maybe ONLY the 2.2 size) the water pump is directly BEHIND the prop. Not what I saw on the 4.5 hp videos, but, my unit is a 2.2 hp. Back to the shop.

Please disregard....and Thanks..

5. Member
    All done. Tomorrow I will test it in a barrel. The flusher fittings that I Have all appear too big.

6. Member
    yep propshaft driven pump, no neutral or reverse
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Yes sir, that's my motor. I bought it for $40.00 and added the $10.00 impellor. Now, I wonder how well it will push/troll my 17 ft tinny. If it doesn't I'll buy a bigger one, I guess.

8. Member
    well it should move along just not very fast
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    I know very little about trolling. What I have read says that moving around 1.5 to 3 mph is the target for some species. We shall see.