Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I also found it. Thanks. Its sold!

2. Member
    Have you got to look at those four models in person yet? I initially considered those exact four boats last year (eventually ended up going with a new tin RT188, however). I had to rule the Margay out only because I wasn't able to see one in person anywhere. I did not want to order a model that I hadn't got a chance to climb around and see in person.

Of the other three models, I thought the Nitro was by far the best. And I say best as in best to fish from. I thought the deck space, storage and cockpit space were superior to both the Ranger and Triton. The Ranger and Triton both have a cutout in the front deck which I thought took away a huge amount of front deck space. Remember, these are small boats and deck space isn't the same as a 19 to 21 foot boat. The Ranger had nicer seats and both the Ranger and Triton both had nicer components such as trim, carpet, etc. But as a fishing boat, the Nitro was far superior in my opinion. I was reluctant at first because I drank some of the anti-Nitro kool aid. Had I not found a screaming deal on a leftover 2018 RT188 I had all intentions on ordering a new Nitro Z-17.

3. Member
    Thank you for your thoughts and for actually addressing my question!

4. Member
    Cat & don't look back
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

5. Member
    Another thing I didn't mention was how the Nitro keeps it's width much farther forward than the Ranger and Triton, making the front deck even larger due to the extreme width.

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I agree with the idea that the Nitro fishes a little bigger than the other boats. The front deck is pretty much all I care about when it comes to having the TM down, and the Nitro fishes well. As a second boat it’s probably the least expensive as well. I do like the Triton a lot but it’s a bigger boat. I have never been in a Margay so I can’t say anything about that one.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

All I can add to the thread is my experience with my Nitro. Now, I know it is not the same boat as the one you are looking at but I speak to the quality of the Nitro and it’s fishability. I have fished out Triton, Stratos, Ranger and Nitro. I specifically ordered the model of my Nitro for the same reason, garage space. I have been absolutely impressed with my 2019 Nitro Z18. I mean I love it. As said by many others, the Nitro fishes bigger than it is, that is a fact. I just wrapped up my ten hour break in and I have zero regrets with what I purchased or how I equipped the boat. Comfort is by far the best of any other bass boat I have been in. These seats are amazing, for the record the biggest water I have had it in so far was three foot rollers. I had to do that for about 13 miles each way, these new seats protected my back, period. Fit and finish on the boat, I truly have not been able to find any problems like those that the typical Nitro haters post about. Seriously, and I have went over my boat with a fine tooth comb looking for short cuts or potential problem areas. There are none. Bottom line, if I would have purchased any other brand, I would have spent a lot more money and I truly do not believe that it would have been for a better quality boat. I would do it again tomorrow if I had to.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Charger 176--also rated for a 150

9. Member
    Thanks for the Charger suggestion, but I don't have access to a dealer.

10. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Any problems would probably be with the motor rather than the boat itself. Charger does make a fine boat...

I would pick the Ranger Z175 out of the choices.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

12. You tube@ Rix Fishing Fix
    I got a Triton 179 TRX last October and absolutely love it. At 18'6 it fishes bigger than you would think and with the 115 PRO XS with Command thrust I have gotten to 54 mph on GPS when by myself. 49-50 with full livewells and a co angler. Coming out of a Ranger tin I love this boat!!
    TYG-(Trust Your Gut!!)

Quote Originally Posted by dkatzaz View Post
    Thanks for the Charger suggestion, but I don't have access to a dealer.
    I have owned 3 Chargers, I don’t have access to a dealer either. Closest one is in Missouri for me.

14. Member
    Not having a local dealer screwed me. I wouldn’t buy a new boat again without a local dealer. Did problems get fixed yes but very frustrating and time consuming.
    Nitro z21

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Not having a local dealer screwed me. I wouldn’t buy a new boat again without a local dealer. Did problems get fixed yes but very frustrating and time consuming.

Even if a motor issue and theres 10 local dealers for that brand they don’t care if you didn’t buy from them
    Nitro z21

Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Even if a motor issue and theres 10 local dealers for that brand they don’t care if you didn’t buy from them
    Last Mercury I owned was in the 80's. Both My Suzuki's ( 150EFI 2 stroke) and my 225 OX has never had issues.

17. Banned
    Of course my Triton is a little older but I love it. Only boat I would take over it is the Nitro due to the wide front deck. I looked and looked for a Nitro when it came time to buy. Just couldn't find one.

After looking at the boats you are interested in I would be looking at the Nitro and the Triton. They appear to be the widest of the group and with a 17' you'll need all you can get. I would now start to see what kind of deals you can get between the two.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

19. Member
    The Triton 179TRX is 18'6'' with a 91'' beam and the Nitro is 17'4'' 90'' beam. The Triton is a big boat for a 115, however the boat still runs close to 50mph or more.

Quote Originally Posted by jjtriton View Post
    The Triton 179TRX is 18'6'' with a 91'' beam and the Nitro is 17'4'' 90'' beam. The Triton is a big boat for a 115, however the boat still runs close to 50mph or more.
    The Triton 179TX is closer comparable to the Nitro Z18 at 18'8". The Z18 beam is bigger at 94" and runs mid 60's with the 175. Apples to apples for comparison.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast