Picked up a new to me Tracker

After having to sell my Stratos last year for a big move I started boat shopping for something for smaller bodies of water with weedy shallows that would fit in the garage, that sort of lead me to Tracker. I lucked up and found a well cared for 2005 165 with a 50 mercury 4 stroke on it. So far I’m loving the simplicity and especially how easy it is to maneuver. I will most likely go for a few upgrades like a recessed trolling motor tray. Anyone have or have had one of these boats with any experiences to share?

2. Member
    I don't necessarily have a 165 but I do have a 190; I think there are some similarities that I may recommend to look into. Given your style of fishing - I would definitely recommend a PowerPole Micro if you can find one used. They are always being sold off from people who thought it could hold their 17' + boats; however, I feel like your boat would be perfect for it, especially because of the weedy shallows to pick apart. Second - may not be required, is upgrading the trolling motor if you need some more power through the weeds. I don't think you may need it much more than that but it's always nice to have that extra juice of a 24v system. Otherwise, just need to get out on the water and tinker with what you like and don't like. The boats are very easy to work on and practically indestructible as long as you are mindful of it's capabilities.

Congrats on the new boat.
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

Quote Originally Posted by jyu87 View Post
    I don't necessarily have a 165 but I do have a 190; I think there are some similarities that I may recommend to look into. Given your style of fishing - I would definitely recommend a PowerPole Micro if you can find one used. They are always being sold off from people who thought it could hold their 17' + boats; however, I feel like your boat would be perfect for it, especially because of the weedy shallows to pick apart. Second - may not be required, is upgrading the trolling motor if you need some more power through the weeds. I don't think you may need it much more than that but it's always nice to have that extra juice of a 24v system. Otherwise, just need to get out on the water and tinker with what you like and don't like. The boats are very easy to work on and practically indestructible as long as you are mindful of it's capabilities.

Congrats on the new boat.
    thanks for the input I will keep an eye out for one. I most likely will move up to a 24 v minn Kota, it’s got a 42 lb 12 v motorguide which I’m sure is good but the power button is on the wrong side... I know old habits are hard to break. I’m hoping to get it out in the next few days and see what it’s all about.

4. Member
    100% on the Motorguide :) Minnkota for life.
    2018 Tracker 190 TX
    Torqeedo 10.0
    Humminbird Helix 12 G4N MDI+/SI+
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80

5. Member
    Congratulations on the new to you boat. Taken care of they'll serve for a long time. I sold my 1987 tracker tx17 year before last and it was still a working boat.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S