Can't turn a 28 bravo xs over 5900

Want to try a promax, 25p or 26p? Setup is XRS/300xs 1.62 sporty 1/2 above the pad currently running with a heavy load and always with 450lb of passengers. Can't raise the engine much higher or the boat won't turn safely at speed. I actually prefer it even but raised it to see if I could get more RPM/speed.

Not impressed with the bravo, running right at 80 loaded at 5900. Seems like a lot of slip but I'm new to this. It doesn't do anything well, holeshot it slips like crazy with every PVS combination I've tried and acceleration sucks compared to the 26 TXP that shed a blade.

2. Member
    I have heard the bravo xs will slip a lot but most are pretty happy with them for all around fishing. I have completely different set up but turn my 28.5 xs in the 6000 range to 81. I just tried a friends 26 promax and it ran 79.9 at 5980 rpm's. I am running a 250xs w/ a torq mst 1 (1.75) at 3/4" below on a 21xdc. Completely different, but same props you are talking about. Characteristics were the promax lifted the bow way more which might help you with your set up. The promax mid range was incredible, but steering was stiffer with promax and it wasn't near as stable as the bravo at 70+ and especially coming down from WOT. Wasn't bad, but the bravo felt like I could let go of steering wheel at 80.

3. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Adam,
    I have a 21xdc/300xs SM 1.75...I just repowered last year so my testing numbers are limited...I am also running 4 batteries, power pole, detwiler hydraulic so I'm pretty heavy in the stern. Last fall, I found that if I buried my plate, my holeshot was lightning fast...zero blowout running 6 holes wide open and 2 holes plugged. I haven't really had a chance to run the big end but with my 29p Bravo1 XS loaded with 2 people, our gear, etc I was running 81 at 5600 rpm or something along those line. I wasn't paying much attention since I wasn't really running all that hard. it handled like it was on rails as well...I know the 1.75 is not the same but I would think a 300xs should be faster than 80 at 6000 rpm. Did you buy the prop new? Could it have been worked prior to you?
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfaro View Post
    Adam,
    I have a 21xdc/300xs SM 1.75...I just repowered last year so my testing numbers are limited...I am also running 4 batteries, power pole, detwiler hydraulic so I'm pretty heavy in the stern. Last fall, I found that if I buried my plate, my holeshot was lightning fast...zero blowout running 6 holes wide open and 2 holes plugged. I haven't really had a chance to run the big end but with my 29p Bravo1 XS loaded with 2 people, our gear, etc I was running 81 at 5600 rpm or something along those line. I wasn't paying much attention since I wasn't really running all that hard. it handled like it was on rails as well...I know the 1.75 is not the same but I would think a 300xs should be faster than 80 at 6000 rpm. Did you buy the prop new? Could it have been worked prior to you?
    Prop was brand new from Josh at Steves custom props. I've had it about a month.

5. Member
    26 or 27 promax might run good if you can get the hole shot dialed in. I ran a 27 promax from Matt in Long View Texas to 93 at the limiter on my SS. The hole shot was miserable though. Try to find another bravo worked for an xrs to try. 28 or 29 pitch. My heavy fishing set up is a 29 bravo xs by Croxton. A 27 Hydromotive set up for your boat would be a good choice also.

Re check you prop to pad. If your having steering issues you may be higher than you think. A bravo will slip more "hole shot" the higher it is on the plate. I've run mine up to 1.5 above with no issues with steering.

6. Member
    I have a 21RDC with a 300XS 1:62's I have no problem turning my 28 Bravo XS over 6000 rpms

I have a 300xs with 1:62’s on my 21xd. Have the old Bravo 1 28p with four 1” vents, good flare and no problem to get over 6000. 1.5” above pad and steers great. That’s pretty much tournament load, TM, 4 batteries, full tank, loaded gear and two guys that can weigh in around 450-500#.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamacj View Post
    26 or 27 promax might run good if you can get the hole shot dialed in. I ran a 27 promax from Matt in Long View Texas to 93 at the limiter on my SS. The hole shot was miserable though. Try to find another bravo worked for an xrs to try. 28 or 29 pitch. My heavy fishing set up is a 29 bravo xs by Croxton. A 27 Hydromotive set up for your boat would be a good choice also.

Re check you prop to pad. If your having steering issues you may be higher than you think. A bravo will slip more "hole shot" the higher it is on the plate. I've run mine up to 1.5 above with no issues with steering.
    I've checked the height several times. The steering issue is an XRS/sportmaster deal. You make a turn at speed and the boat slides then the bow drops and grabs and tries to throw you out. Other people are having the same issues I am.The boat will actually turn with the engine closer to even with the pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 250 View Post
    I have a 21RDC with a 300XS 1:62's I have no problem turning my 28 Bravo XS over 6000 rpms
    I have no doubt if took some stuff out and raised the engine I could too. Maybe even if I just raised the engine to 1-1.25 above, I haven't tried that with this prop because I know the boat won't turn at those heights.

I have a sporty lower. Not sure of the hull differences, but I believe the XRS is 100-150# heavier than the XD’s in the 21’s. Some models are console forward making it harder for bow lift. Set up is everything. Positioning of weight and balance. Hard to understand why that bravo isn’t turning on that 300 and the poor steering at higher (normal) adjustments.

10. Member
    "Chris Domino An XRS with a Sportmaster is not the best set up . The Sportmaster has a hard time carrying a fishing load an 2 people in corners . If your asking for straightaway running there fine above the pad but are you fishing or running top end . Anytime you raise the propshaft above the pad on an XRS or SDC it’s not favorable to carry a load ! It also depends on prop selection"

"Ryan Bercegeay Chris Domino is speaking the truth fellas. Straight away fishing and running big lakes, you can run above the pad like y’all mentioned. For us in the bayous with plenty of twist and turns, running that high will get you in trouble with the xrs. It can’t carry the bow in the turns and will drop the nose and get you in trouble. I have had high speed boats for the last 20 years and you know that feeling before it happens. It will happen to you on left hand turns if you aren’t careful. I run mine 3/8” above and have no ill effects. Higher than that where we fish, it will get you in trouble. After Todd Domma’s experience with his torquemaster, I can’t wait to try one."

I've had this happen twice so I'm not just reposting stuff I read online.

Then there is this too

"Steve D Glenn Light load.. 1.25 above
    I set up the heavier ones here at 1" above to keep good performance and keep from breaking props"

I broke a TXP and a hydromotive in 2 months running 1" to 1 1/4 above the pad.

I guess I'm just going to order a 26 propmax and if it sucks somebody will get a deal in the classifieds. It isn't so much that I can't turn the bravo higher, I'm certain that is do to the load I'm running and running the motor lower than most, I startedthe post with that to see if everybody thought I could turn a 26 promax. I just don't like how the bravo pulls, the TXP just pulled so much harder and they had similar holeshots. I'd buy another 26 TxP OT4 if I could find one.

11. Member
    Has the prop been worked? Maybe it had pitch added to it

I don’t see how a 25 promax or 26 will help. Think you would be all over the rev limiter if u get a 25p or 26p I think your too far under at .5 but your also running 5900 so something don’t seem right like bad prop gps issues like a padded 10mph buffer. Has the boat ever ran better? What’s changed?
    2005 Stroker 2010-250pro xs

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Bling View Post
    I don’t see how a 25 promax or 26 will help. Think you would be all over the rev limiter if u get a 25p or 26p I think your too far under at .5 but your also running 5900 so something don’t seem right like bad prop gps issues like a padded 10mph buffer. Has the boat ever ran better? What’s changed?
    That’s how I’m thinking

14. Member
    What do you really want to do with your boat, fish or run fast? Your
    450lb passengers are a big part of the problems. lose the sportmaster
    and put different lower unit on. Run up to 85s and do it quicker with 175 gears.
    If you keep hooking your boat you will get real wet doing so. Pick a day and I
    will meet you a Oak Ridge on Lake Fork and we can talk and look
    over your set up.