Thread: High end reels

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

High end reels

I am looking into buying a few high end reels. Say $400-$600. I have a few Lews reels that are close to $250, but I am wondering if the high end shimanos and Diawa are really that much better?

2. Member
    Just my opinion, but I think you're looking at it backwards. Why say "I want to spend $4-600 on a fishing reel."? I think the better question is what are your expectations of a reel that costs that much? Honestly, when you get north of $350, there aren't many dramatic changes in quality or function. A lot of it is about the "feel" of the reel. When you get into the high-end Daiwa it's about weight savings, Shimano is about smoothness.
    1997 Triton Tr-21
    1999 Johnson 225HO

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I own and use reels at pretty much every price point but I have never picked up a Steez and ever wished I bought several cheaper reels instead.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I own and use reels at pretty much every price point but I have never picked up a Steez and ever wished I bought several cheaper reels instead.
    I have. Didn't care for the OG Steez. The TDZ was a way better reel IMO, and honestly think my Tatula SV is a better all around reel than the Steez. Even sold off a Zillion SV TW. I really dont think the cost is worth the gain anymore. Too much shared components now a days. It's not like it was back in the day with separation of reels. Hell, my modified SLX hangs with the best of them, and is right there next to my 50E reels in "feel". And I managed to get a JDM Zillion TW 1516 that crushes many for under $200 new.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaBass21 View Post
    Just my opinion, but I think you're looking at it backwards. Why say "I want to spend $4-600 on a fishing reel."? I think the better question is what are your expectations of a reel that costs that much? Honestly, when you get north of $350, there aren't many dramatic changes in quality or function. A lot of it is about the "feel" of the reel. When you get into the high-end Daiwa it's about weight savings, Shimano is about smoothness.
    I have to second this... I have reels in all price points, I would focus on the reel that fits what you’re looking for as much as price. Most brands have awesome reels in the upper $100 to lower $200’s. To me you mostly loose ounces and have little performance tweaks in the $300 up range. Toss out some things you’re wanting in a higher end reel and maybe we can give more detailed opinions.

I have to say, these above posts have a lot of merit! In the past maybe not so much. I recently bought a Tatula Sv TW. What a great reel for the price and once dialed in I could have a 5 yr old cast it. Wow! I have a few Lews and Although they were the Shizo several years ago they are on the way out. Still good reels though. I bought a few Shimano Chronarch MGL’s and holy smokes. They are light years a head of the Lews. Smooth and cast a mile. Paired with my NRX rods let’s just say life is good.

Always remember fish have no idea how much your rods and reels cost. A snoopy rod and reel will get the job done at times. I’m getting older so rod and reel combos that are light makes it easier to fish all day. Buy what you like and enjoy. Life is short!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    My metanium mgl is likely the best reel I ever owned
    Nitro z21

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    ..... honestly think my Tatula SV is a better all around reel than the Steez
    That would put you in a pretty exclusive club.

But I agree for the most part about not being much of a fan of the Zillion SV TW. I wouldn't buy another one.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Seems like the newer reels have caught up, if not passed, current technology. It seems now that you get more reel for your money, especially around the 200.00 price point. Now lets see how they do as far as longevity. I still have and use a large number of the Curado 200 E7’s. Other than a few upgrades like bearings, carbon drag washers, and a really good cleaning and polish, I havent put a dime into them and they still fish as good or better than they did when I took them out of the box. Take the Metaniums, more expensive and over the 200.00 price point (if bought new). They are great reels, but other than a little better feel and being a bit lighter, they really dont do anything out of this world better than my old E7’s. From my point of view, and this is strictly my opinion as I own and use reels from the 100.00 to 420.00 price point, you dont “need” a high priced reel to be efficient IF you take care of what you have and keep it working properly. Sure they are nice to have but is a little lighter reel with a few more bearings and gadgets really worth nearly double the price? For me it’s personal preference, I like buying different kinds of reels at different price points and fishing with them. I do the same thing with fishing rods.

10. Member
    A lot has to do with confidence. If you feel confident in your setup, that will make you more confident in catching fish. High end reels and rods are nice to have and a big confident booster. At least that how I feel. Lol.

11. Member
    I remember the first time I bought a "high end" rod and reel to me...that was a St. Croix Triumph and Pflueger President reel. $80 rod and $60 reel. I've moved up further and further in the last 8 years. Most of my casting reels are 13 Fishing, almost all Concept A's. I finally decided to see what the top of the line was about and ordered a Concept E from ebay. The weight, finish, and casting ability are noticeably better than the A. That said, I wouldn't switch all my $175 reels for $400 ones, and I didn't pay anywhere near $400 either.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

12. Member
    I have quite a bit of what some call the creme de la creme from Daiwa and Shimano. I also had the top of the line baitcaster from Lew's (for 3 weeks). In my opinion Daiwa and Shimano just produce better quality products. Quality for me is defined by the following 5 points (in random order):

* build refinement
    * weight
    * Capability of breaking system
    * longevity of the reel
    * Haptic and design

Lews can compete with some of its reels in the weight department and some of its reels have a fairly sturdily build (as my Lews BB2 Inshore). Unfortunately there is no Lew's reel that can provide (almost) all of the quality points in my opinion. If I want (most) of the quality I have to look at Daiwa and Shimano. There is no other company in my opinion that can deliver this otherwise.

Yes, the big two ask you to pay a premium to get these quality treats. But one has the choice to determine what really maters in a fishing reel. My Steez SV TW for example is just amazing and is holding up amazingly well even after 2 years of beating the crap out of it (this reel is one of the reels where all 4 quality points come together).

When refinement and weight do not play a big role, I can find also really nice reels for an amazing price from these two companies (and probably others as well). The Daiwa Tatula SV TW and the Curado K come to mind here. Fantastic reels for the price!

Since my enjoyment for the sport of fishing comes almost equality from looking and operating high end gear, it is worth for me to make certain investments.

In the end, ask yourself what is important and then act on it! ;)

13. Member
    Anyone have any experience with the albadaran mgl or metanium dc?

14. Member
    I have a few Metanium MGL's, Aldebaran MGL, and Chronarch MGL. For the money the Chronarch MGL is hard to beat, I really don't see the price jump between Chronarch and Metanium although I just ordered a new Metanium from Digitaka this morning, go figure LOL. I do replace the worm gear bushing with a bearing on all and add knob bearings when they dont have 2 per knob. I would suggest a Chronarch MGL to get your feet wet, it may be in my head but adding the worm gear bearing seems to give them (Metanium included) a little more smoothness. As fas as Diawa I couldn't tell you as I've never owned a reel that wasn't Shimano.

Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    I have a few Metanium MGL's, Aldebaran MGL, and Chronarch MGL. For the money the Chronarch MGL is hard to beat, I really don't see the price jump between Chronarch and Metanium although I just ordered a new Metanium from Digitaka this morning, go figure LOL. I do replace the worm gear bushing with a bearing on all and add knob bearings when they dont have 2 per knob. I would suggest a Chronarch MGL to get your feet wet, it may be in my head but adding the worm gear bearing seems to give them (Metanium included) a little more smoothness. As fas as Diawa I couldn't tell you as I've never owned a reel that wasn't Shimano.
    I agree. Just bought another Chronarch MGL XG. They are just hard to beat at the price point.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’ve never owned a super expensive reel, just fished with a few. Between the Tatula SV & BPS Platinum series I can’t see anything casting further or being more smooth.

Im sure if I had better bearings put in these reels and have a couple bushings replaced with bearings they would be even better.

I guess my point is, what are you wanting to accomplish by buying a super expensive reel?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

17. Member
    Had an Aunt that bought all her rods and reels at garage sales. She could catch fish with the best of them.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyes View Post
    I am looking into buying a few high end reels. Say $400-$600. I have a few Lews reels that are close to $250, but I am wondering if the high end shimanos and Diawa are really that much better?
    NO..........JMHO

i used those high ends reels ($400) and high end rods ($350) for a little while, but after a garage fire back in 2012, I replaced them with mid range stuff, $150-200 reels, $100-200 rods, and get just as good performance out of them, and catch just as much fish

Does one need to drive a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S to pick up groceries around the corner? One could accomplish the task in a much more practical vehicle. Is a high end Daiwa better built, better engineered, and overall better quality than a high end Lew's? In my experience, the answer is a resounding yes. Spend some time on the water with a Steez CT SV or a Steez SV TW and the differences are clear, as is the price of course. To each their own...

Shimano or Daiwa, those two are way ahead of the rest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast