Thread: High end reels

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Fished Lews for a few years because they were sponsors through our college team so I was able to buy their higher end reels, but when I bought my first Shimano Chronarch it blew me away! Btw to me their isn't enough to justify spending $100+ from the Chronarch to the Metanium I like my chronarch more. Haven't tried the Daiwas yet but that''s just my $.2

Quote Originally Posted by schoi25 View Post
    Fished Lews for a few years because they were sponsors through our college team so I was able to buy their higher end reels, but when I bought my first Shimano Chronarch it blew me away! Btw to me their isn't enough to justify spending $100+ from the Chronarch to the Metanium I like my chronarch more. Haven't tried the Daiwas yet but that''s just my $.2
    It does when you consider longevity. Met mgl's are $286 + free shipping on one of the more popular jdm sites (digitaka).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    It does when you consider longevity. Met mgl's are $286 + free shipping on one of the more popular jdm sites (digitaka).
    Maybe but not always will the more expensive reel have longer longevity. And not always will the more expensive reel be the favorite for any one individual. I have top of the line Shimano reels but have recently discovered a reel that is by far my favorite. I am in the process of replacing most of my reels with the Bantam MGL. It may not be a “top of the line” reel but it is by far my favorite for most applications. And even though they cost less than the Met, I suspect they will hold up better in the long run.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Maybe but not always will the more expensive reel have longer longevity. And not always will the more expensive reel be the favorite for any one individual. I have top of the line Shimano reels but have recently discovered a reel that is by far my favorite. I am in the process of replacing most of my reels with the Bantam MGL. It may not be a “top of the line” reel but it is by far my favorite for most applications. And even though they cost less than the Met, I suspect they will hold up better in the long run.
    I would take the Bantams over the Metanium any day myself.

Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    Any day!
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    The Bantam with it's all metal construction truly feels like it belongs on a high end rod. I only have one right now but when I put it down and pick up another rod it just feels cheaper when you're holding a plastic reel. It's one of the few reels out right now that really differentiates itself from the ocean of other low profile baitcasters on the market

7. Member
    I have or have had many of the top end reels that have come out as of lately and compared to Lews, yes Daiwa and Shimano are well ahead of the OEMs.

If big baits are not on the agenda, the new steez ct sv is probably the nicest reel out currently. Is has the smoothness of the conquest, light weight, tiny and casts like a rocket. The tolerances must be felt to be appreciated. On the shimano side the aldebaran mgl will cast right with the steez except for the smallest of baits, is even lighter and palms a touch smaller. The aldebaran isnt quite as smooth or refined as the steez but its still a very nice smooth reel.

With bigger baits and if weight isn't a concern the bantam is awesome, it truly feels like they put a round reel in a hydraulic press and smashed it down. Smooth solid and tough and you can get them for around $250-260. If you want a little lighter solid reel the steez a is also very solid and lighter than the bantam but costs a bit more.

Oddly I prefer the chronarch MGL over the Met, the chronarch feels more comfortable in my hand and I don't feel like I'm giving up much over the met quite honestly. The carbon build of the chronarch never bothered me or has been an issue.

Full on graphite reels like the chronarch simply do not hold up for me. The aluminum main gear on the met is the only downside but , that can easily be swapped.
    After a while the extra bearing on the spool gives much needed support when , frogging , flipping and punching , etc.
    With the jdm prices on the met mgl , bantam mgl and steez A , I can't see where the chronarch is the better deal when considering high end reels.

If comparing to a Lews...a high end Daiwa or Shimano will feel like night and day. The Shimano Bantam and MGL are fantastic reels as well as their DC models. I am a Daiwa go and have a mix of older steez and TDZ as well as Zillion SV TW and Tatula SV.

10. Member
    Had the Aldebaran MGL, it is really light and small but wasn't super impressed with it. Now use a Metanium DC JDM version and I love it. It is a little heavier then I like ( I prefer light equipment), I can cast into heavy winds with no issues. Well built feels really nice in the hands and smooth. I had a Lews HyperMag before that and it was light but it feels cheap compared to the Metanium DC.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesoh1967 View Post
    Had the Aldebaran MGL, it is really light and small but wasn't super impressed with it. Now use a Metanium DC JDM version and I love it. It is a little heavier then I like ( I prefer light equipment), I can cast into heavy winds with no issues. Well built feels really nice in the hands and smooth. I had a Lews HyperMag before that and it was light but it feels cheap compared to the Metanium DC.
    What did you not like about the Aldebaran MGL? I bought one for my wife because she has small hands and loves her Curado 70 which is why I got her the Aldebaran. It does feel like it's hollow inside LOL but from what I tried of it I liked it.

12. Banned
    Kinda hard to beat a Metanium....especially if it is attached to an NRX

13. Member
    I've got another Metanium MGL coming Monday form Japan to go on a new NRX 894, just ordered my first Bantam MGL today from Japan to go with a Falcon Cara 6'10" Head Turner that I'll be picking up locally on Monday.

14. Member
    I guess I’m to stubborn to try a different brand but I’m extremely pleased with my lews pro ti, hypermag, and superduty reels.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    What did you not like about the Aldebaran MGL? I bought one for my wife because she has small hands and loves her Curado 70 which is why I got her the Aldebaran. It does feel like it's hollow inside LOL but from what I tried of it I liked it.

The Alderbaran MGL is a good reel it was just the feel I didn't care for also the handle is so close to the frame it kept catching my finger when I switch arms to cast.

16. Banned
    I have 15-20 daiwa steez sv tws reels and have about 10 lews hyper mag and 6 shimano aldebaran.

The steez with the tws are a very smooth reel and excel with line under 15lbs.. the lews casts a mile has a little handle slop etc... I use the lews for braid and 20lb tatsu. The aldebaran is a bit lighter reel so I use them on my crank bait rods and they arent near as smooth as the steez but they are a oz lighter and work pretty darn well.

I pay full boat on the steez I only have 8-1 from japan on ebay and 6.3 ratio. The lews I have are 8.3 ratio and are on ebay usually for 209 ish. The shimano I get from japan right at 290 each.

Ive had metanium, chronarch a bunch of bps etc. The metanium and chronarch seemed huge the higher end bps were just heavy at 6.8 oz.

17. Member
    I will say that of all my high end Shimanos I have a Curado 200K that I added a bearing to the worm gear, extra bearing per knob, and ZPI spool bearings. It's a sweet reel. I never experienced it before I added all the bearings but it's my Rkkrawler and Wiggle Wart real on a Curado 7'2" Cranking Rod.

18. Member
    You will notice the difference between Made in Japan reels and Made in Taiwan counterparts. Tat and Zillion TW SV are both made in Taiwan. Not saying they are bad in anyway, quite the opposite. I personally find that you really don't need 650$ reels, and 350$ is the sweet spot for quality and refinement. The fish don't care what you bring to the water, so it's more of a question to yourself. Try one and see if you enjoy the feeling of smoothness and refinement.

19. Member
    Anyone have the 2019 Antares? Just wondering how it feels compared to the Bantam MGL.....

20. Member
    I am a fan of the high end reels personally. I have Steez's, Shimano DC's (from the beginning), favorite being the shimano cores, but am developing an appreciation for the Metanium and Aldebran's. Will pick up a Megabass and a Pixey at some point. Its not about the money for me, its about experiencing the quality or lack of in their engineering. I gave away my Lews reel. I am also in to the best rods. I've tried lots of custom rods, from friends, from named makers, all the ranges and love the Steez, Shimano GLX/NRX and now have discovered the beauty of the Megabass line of rods. They do not help me catch more fish and I could be just as good a fisherman without these tools. But I enjoy them and I think that is the OP's goal as well....
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast