1880 cooler questions

Love the layout of the 1980 and see the they moved the cooler to the box behind the passenger seat. Is that box insulated like the iced box on the front deck on the 1980? Seems If I get a 1880 I'll be packing a soft cooler it's not. Plus to hate to give the storage. S Clark or anyone who has a 1880 can you comment on the cooler option on the 1880's?
    Last edited by deepanchor; 04-11-2019 at 07:46 PM.

2. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Either rear compartment can be used as a "Cooler", they are both fully insulated

the 1880 does not have a front deck mounted cooler like the 1980 & 2080.

The 1980/2080 cooler is still in front of the console.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

4. Member
    The cooler on the 1980 was a big selling point for me. My fishing buddy and I fish long days and usually drink 4 to 5 bottles of water a trip each. We don’t have a good cooler on his Nitro 674LX so we use the back starboard box for food, snacks, and water. It isn’t insulated so water is always air temp. The 1980’s insulated cooler and in the OP’s case the 1880’s back storage box will keep drinks nice and cold for a long time. On my first trip it was 75 degrees out and my AVX1980 cooler kept the ice usable for four days. Just a little ice left on day five. Your mileage may vary.

One way you could have storage and use the 1880’s back storage box as a cooler would be to put drinks on their side and fill with ice to 3-4”. Then cover that with the neoprene pad in the bottom of the box and put some tackle on top of the neoprene insert. Using the waterproof Bass Mafia Money Bag(s) to hold the tackle would keep the tackle dry as well.

5. Member
    I have an 1880. Both boxes behind the seats in either side of the live well are insulated and hold ice very well. I do alot of redfishing in the marsh in Louisiana and use one box for drinks and the other for fish . They are about the equivalent size of a 65 qt chest, they are huge

6. Member
    That's ON either side of the livewell NOT IN the livewell. Typo

7. Member
    Nice to know we have as much cooler space as we might ever need. I don’t harvest fish like I used to, but when I did the fish went directly onto the ice after the catch. I copied the commercial fishermen I use to check, who told me they couldn’t sell their fish unless they immediately put them on ice. Really the best way to preserve the flavor of fish, and it makes them so much easier to filet.