Magnum gearcase on Intruder/Fast Strike

With the help of Eddie and Fred (gearcaseman and ChampionmaN, thanks for all the help guys!!!) I was able to swap out the driveshaft and shift shaft from a no longer usable case (it was wallowed out and I used other internals on another case) to a good Magnum case and internals. This allows it to be mounted and used on the 60 degree V-6 engines. Tested it last night and it worked well.

Here's a few observations, the Mag case has a larger diameter cone/hub, so a renegade ventilated a lot on holeshot and almost didnt get on plane. I have a Mag case weed ring coming that should fix that. Going to try a Raker tonight. The mag case had great lift, but also more steering torque. It also had a lot more water psi, it buried the needle so hard im afraid its going to break the gauge haha, but seriously it had over 40 psi. So I know I can come up with the jack plate, but the steering torque is already so bad Im not sure If Ill be able to run it that high all the time. Ill do some testing to see if we can find a better setup. So far it seems I have only lost 2 mph, but with adjustments I might get that back...

It's going to be a backup case so for that purpose it will serve perfectly. Im putting some new gears in my original case and will probably run that full time.

Just wanted to post up that the swap was doable in case anyone in a pinch wanted or needed to try it.
    Last edited by J Risco; 04-11-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Nice report John!

3. Member
    Good talking to you the other day John, Glad it worked out . The steering torque can be corrected by a trim tab or a trim tab fabricated from automotive Bondo easily. Form it on the starboard side of the skeg at the bottom @ 2" - 3" high X @2" - 3" wide tapered from front to back from O" to @ 3/8 " thick at the back.

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    To elaborate what Eddie said I bought one from BPS that screws on and helped a little with the torque....I've bought a lightning and haven't tried it yet....thinking of putting it on while I visit Eddie and get my magnum noseconed lower resealed.....I love being able to get that engine to 1' below pad and still got pressure.....still looking to raise her some more after Eddie gets his hands on it.

Great talking to you also Eddie! Thanks for the ideas, I might tinker with a torque tab at some point. Planning on new steering cables within the next week so that should help some too. Really curious how high I'll be able to run this lower. I'm at 2.75" below now and both cases have plenty of water psi.

In the end since its dads boat I might just stick a 23p gade @ 3" below or so on there for him haha... easy driving

Oh and Michael, next time you are at hartwell give me a shout, would love to take a spin in that rig of yours and do some fishing!

7. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Oh and Michael, next time you are at hartwell give me a shout, would love to take a spin in that rig of yours and do some fishing!
    Will do bud... been a long time since we visited at Okeechobee...Another tip.....those magnum cases run real well with the Bravo fs 1 props....4 vent holes with out plugs...spool up to 4k then bite like hell.....excellent bow lift....they don't like to run low tho...

8. Member
    You Guys are resurrecting the high performance blood in my veins, Please Stop !! I'm too old for this.....

If I can find a bravo small enough I'd love to try one... 23 or 24p probably.

Eddie, you would have loved my Cat. And you are never too old to go fast!!!

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    If I can find a bravo small enough I'd love to try one... 23 or 24p probably.

Eddie, you would have loved my Cat. And you are never too old to go fast!!!
    That Cat ain't got a thing on Eddie's Hydro Scream!

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Yeah he told me about that thing... that's a whole new level of haulin a$$!!!

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    You'd be surprised what size Bravo you can turn.....I borrowed a 30 from Nate and actually decent hole shot, just was low on rpm by 600... still spooled up to 4k then bit...I'm turning a 26 summer and 28 winter. The 26 will touch 6k rpms if I let it.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    HydroScream,, That's a good one Fred, wish I had thought of that !!!

Update:

Added the Mag weed ring, still ventilates too much and tries to blow out with Raker or Gade, not as bad but you do have to feather throttle on break over. Going to try a Solas Scorpion 3 blade and a Fury 4 tonight for sh!ts n giggles, but pops primary case with new (used but great condition) gears should be re-sealed, assembled and ready to go by the weekend.

Also new steering cables are great, most of the torque is gone. Glad I changed those!

15. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I'd try a 25 Bravo fs1 if you could get someone to loan ya one.....heck even try my 26....

Fury 4 no blow out with no plugs. I have a 25 which is a bit too much prop, a 24 would prob run great. Scorpion was way slow out of the hole but was also too big for this rig by at least 2 pitch.

Anyways, I'd love to try a bravo sometime but soon this will just be a backup lower, and I know the fury 4 works well.

17. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar