Exclamation Need ideas and help please rt188 vs 198p

I’m at a “T” in my next boat purchase, and would like some help, ideas and insight from some of you guys. I’m wanting to get either a Ranger rt188 or a Ranger rt198p that I know. Now my problem I’m stuck on is the main lake I fish anymore has a 25hp restriction. 85% of my trips are made to this lake and the rest of the time I fish other lakes with no restrictions. I’ve talked to a few dealers and ranger themselves and getting a kicker motor or smaller motor on a 198p is not a very good idea (I agree). I’m leaning twords getting a rr188 with a 4” jackplate, 25hp etec. The local dealer around me has done this for a few guys that fish a few of the 25hp restricted lakes. I have been told speeds are around 19-22mph (gear weight, fuel level few other factors). I currently have Lowe stinger 195 with a 115 Mercury it runs 42-45mph. Speed isint my biggest concern. I would like to be able to take this new boat to ky lake and fish once a year, maybe go chase smallmouth up north sometime (not Great Lakes). I just really would like to hear some of your guys insight and thoughts. Any and all information i highly appreciate it!!!!

2. Member
    I have a rt178 with a E-TEC 25hp. My boat has a 4in Atlas hydraulic JP and one 10ft talon with JP brackets. I’m lucky to get 18mph and getting on plane. The JP helps a lot but it still slow. I can only imagine how slow a rt188 with a 25hp will be. Maybe 15mph. These are heavy boats and these 25hp motors get overwhelmed very quickly.