Finally Finished The 86 Mean 15

Well it has taken almost a year, & 3 trips to the lake testing but she is done!
    Bought the boat, motor & trailer for $2,400.00 last year. Took 2 months to get both the boat & trailer registered in my name, and then went to town! I named it Maria after my girlfriend who bought it for me with pay me back when you can deal. Since then I have converted the trailer with all new waterproof wiring & LED lighting & new tires. Had the motor gone thru & passed with good compression on all cylinders, had to replace clogged fuel line & grease the starter. Replaced the old 86 electronics to 2 new Garmin Echomap 73sv head units, one forward & one on the console with a transom mounted transducer. Installed Nema 2000 linking both units together giving me down/side & clear view front & back. Installed the MinnKota MK345PC 3bank on board charger with 3 new Marine HD maintenance free batteries. Completely rebuilt the Mercury Thruster R28 12/24 trolling motor & upgraded all the wiring to #6 & added a dedicated #6 wired receptical & plug, leaving the old plug dedicated for the 12 volt trailer mule my buddy made that plugs directly to the boat for power. All new carpet using the original riveted polished trim. New LED forward & aft night lights & a new Dual marine stereo. Also a receptical to plug power to the charger without lifting the cover lid. & last a new custom boat & motor cover.
    Now I think it's time to enjoy it as much as possible, fill up the boat fund for have the boat body detailed (gelcoat) & repowered with a 4 stroke mercury 115 if & when the 90 tower of power fails. I love this boat & fully understand what the Champion experience is all about!
    For 15'6" this is an amazing hull in rough water & a dry ride without a windshield. (might put a new S.S. prop in a month) So now it's fish, fish & more fishing

2. Banned
    Enjoy... Dan

3. Member
    Lot's of work. Now enjoy!

4. Member

Really fun hull with a 1 fitty

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Sounds like a lot of hard work has really paid off! Very nice!!!

7. Member
    Thank you to all! A ton of information has come from the feed back of this site & the people on it! Hat's off to all the Champion people that gave advice, tips, 2 cents worth (hundreds saved), even those that gave a hard time (again hundreds saved) & special thanks to the Governor of the Champion site "Lea"
    Don't know how you keep up & direct everything that goes on in here, Hat off to you & you have been a been very instrumental in the projects success. So I kinda nicknamed you Governor whenever I was talking to somebody about things online when offline (couldn't remember your name in the beginning). I really hope things are good for you health wise & stay that way, you have a lot of people who love & wish nothing but the best for you! I am just one nut in the big jar that feels that way.

Robert Lafreniere
    Southern California
    1986 Champion Mean 15
    1986 Mercury 90hp Tower of Power
    Look's like she's a week old

8. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    What a wonderful post, Robert! Thank you for your kind words! That means so much to me!

As you said, we have some really fine and knowledgeable people here, who really like helping other Champion fans! Enjoy that boat...have lots of fun and fishing success!!

(BTW, I am often known as "Mom" here. I may have other names, but I can accept "Mom")

9. Member
    Your welcome & well deserved. Figure Pat as the sheriff.

10. Member
    Well I headed out this morning to finally get her on the water with her looking all new when we got 5 miles fron the lake exit & heard a load thud inside the truck. Thought something hit the truck & decided to get off for breakfast when we heard somthing scraping the ground like a chain. What we heard was a piece of metal about 3 foot long x 1.5" diameter sticking out of the bottom of the hull. It was a peice of a step ladder from a simi truck. So now its in the shop again being repaired & detailed to remove any oxidation & having any knick's repaired in the hull from 33 years of use. Then came home to find a letter Stating my rent is going up $250.00, what a day! Guess I should tell the landlord to charge the next renter since me & my girlfriend just bought a house & am moving out end of the month anyway!

11. Member
    That stinks!

12. Member
    Thanx rude150. They place fixing her up has already started the repairs! Will be back in my possession next Tuesday looking even better than yesterday & will be heading to the lake Wednesday morning. Bought this boat last year for $2,400 & now with this unexpected pit stop for repair
    I'm looking @ $6,800.00 total investment. Still think she was a bargain even @ that amount. She is like my old Harley (wish I still had it, Damm helmet law) & my Porsche, They all looked/look as good sitting still in the driveway as they did/do hauling ass down the road/waterway. Which will always bring the smile to the face & the right attitude to the head, making them all priceless to me anyway! even when they areall 30 something years old.

13. Member
    Can you tell me about the light package you used? Where purchased, ease of installation, etc.

14. Member
    To billledbetter: Just seen your question & will look up the brand of lights I used on the trailer & post it later. As far as the wiring I used your standard 4 line harness & used the heat shrink butt connectors with the solder that melts from a heat gun already inside the connector & a waterproof wax material inside each end of the connector. I also slide a sleeve of heat shrink material that also had a waterproof material built into it for extra protection & satisfied my anal tendency of over doing & guarantee of no problems ever!

15. Member
    Thanks ruudawg. Had a blowout coming home on Sunday and broke the wiring coupler on the rear trailer lights. Figure it is a good time to update lights and wiring.

16. Member
    I bought from, E Trailer.com: (TLL36RK $80.95 each) 1PC. & (MCL97RB $19.74 each) 1PC.
    Trailer Parts Super Store: (MCL-91AB $13.98 each) 4PCS.
    I researched what I found to be the best company that made LED trailer lights that were submersible. So far so good & have been in the drink 3 times without any problems!
    By the way I got the boat back & actually had every little nick we could find repaired & it looks so good now with the new carpet & all. I even put a new Champion decal on the front of the console. Wish I was smart enough to post pictures of her on here! I actually feel proud of being able to say she's mine. For 33 years old it's definitely one of the best looking boats on the lake now.! Just a runt @ 15'6" but hauls ass with that 90 Mercury & will get a 115hp when time comes.
    Sorry to here about your blow out! hope it was nothing more than a tire

http://tinypic.com/ is good for posting pictures.