Buy or not to buy that is the question?

I have come across a skeeter starfire 150 with an Evinrude gt150.
    The motor comes with a hot foot throttle, manual jack plate, and has balanced compression at 90 psi. From my research post a seafoam this will increase compression to 105ish and typical new compression was in the 110 range.
    The gelcoat is in good shape without fading. There are a few cracks in the gelcoat (either side by waterline - appears to be trailer guide caused, transom sides, and console joint). The center section of transom is shot but the stringers appear to be okay. I didnt find any soft spots in the floor either.
    The boat comes with an older 24V trolling motor and 3 new batteries. The electronics are older but functional.
    I can purchase the boat for 1500. Is it worth it?

I have composite experience and wiring is second nature. This would not be my first boat rebuild, but would be my first on a bass boat.

2. Member
    If you have confidence in it and looked it over for soft spots and the transom is solid then why not sounds like a project
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

2018 Skeeter ZX250 250 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    Transom has to be replaced.

4. Member
    If you are capable they why not. I would never bash anyone for keeping a Starfire from ending up in the dump. Only downfall i see is that it would take away from your fishing time
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

2018 Skeeter ZX250 250 Yamaha SHO

5. Member
    Is that a take the cap-off hull, to replace the transom?

6. Member
    Usually, but I have figured out a way to do it without. I would replace the inner skin and do a 3 ply coosa board transom. This would require a rework of the splashwell, but I wouldnt have to separate the hull.

7. Member
    Evimrude??? No

8. Member
    Yes a rude. Boat is on hold for me. Ground too soft between storage and the driveway to pull it out at the moment. Plan is to replace the transom and get everything back up to snuff so that my season opening, Canada, is available for me.

9. Member
    I had a 1998 Starfire 175...Great boat! And I've had Evinrudes with no problems at all. For that price if you can redo the transom as good as or better than original I think you'll have a really good boat...in my opinion.

10. Member
    I just aquired a '87 Skeeter Strada FS 120. Needs new transom and stringers also. I'm curious to see how you proceed.

11. Member
    From what I can tell the stringers are alright. The transom is only rotten between the drain holes from what I can hear. When I open it up I'll find out then.

12. Member
    Well I bought it! The floor under the console is shot and transom is done. Stringers still appear to be okay. Motor runs perfectly. 20190508_170718_HDR.jpg

13. Member
    Hey, nice boat...good luck with the reno.

14. Member
    So today was a bit of the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    I was able to repair all of the wiring. I needed 3 inline fuses and a little sandpaper. The motor is finally off which revealed some cracks on the exterior of the hull which was shielded by the Jack plate. The ugly was finally having access and finding the rear floor is rotten. So the verdict is still out on the hull. Fingers crossed.20190514_224633.jpg20190514_223204.jpg20190514_223057_HDR.jpg

15. Member
    I have seen where a person rebuilding a bad transom/stringers took a skilsaw across the top cap from side to side forward of the transom by a foot or two, then only took that portion off to go to work. Repairing the cut seems to be not that difficult. The boat looks nice I hope you get it fixed.

16. Member
    Well I have a decision to make. The outer stringers are gone... I haven't decided whether its a scrap run or a bigger project than I was hoping for. I Intended to cut out a section of the splash well to access the full transom. Now from what I see its a full gut replace the main floor and stringers or split the hull which I refuse to do. What do you all think?

17. Member
    Well I have a decision to make. The outer stringers are gone... I haven't decided whether its a scrap run or a bigger project than I was hoping for. I Intended to cut out a section of the splash well to access the full transom. Now from what I see its a full gut replace the main floor and stringers or split the hull which I refuse to do. What do you all think?

18. Member
    Is it a boat you like? Like the layout of the boat? Add to, or change the layout? The size? If yes, then do it. I'm going to change the layout of my project boat. Add some storage.

19. Member
    Don't launch it, keep it dry. The wonderful thing about fiberglass is it can always be fixed. You just need access. Did you take this issue down to this forum? Bassboat Restoration

20. Member
    I have not yet