Thread: MPG'S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MPG'S

What's the mpg on the new 250 xs 21 ft Tritons?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Good question for the Triton Forum, as well. Fuel economy can vary based on setup, loading, poles, operating habits, etc... just keep in mind anything you get is a "generalized" answer (your results may, or likely will, vary).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Worse than my Opti lol

4. mikesxpress
    #2B529759

I can answer this one based on my 2009 Ranger Z21 Intracoastal repower and V8 engine use since July 2018. Boat configuration stayed the same except for the removal of the 26lb 2.5 gallon 2 stroke oil tank/hold down bracket & filler tube.

Readings were taken with atmospheric/water temp/boat load (fuel & gear) conditions similar.

My repower with a 250hp Pro XS 4.6L V8 from a 2009 250hp Pro XS Opti shows a reduction in fuel economy of -9.4% per my level 1 Smartcraft gage readings I took before and after the repower. Surprisingly the optimum rpms/speed for best fuel economy on plane between the two engines are close to the same 4200 rpms & 40-42 mph. The V8 consumption at that range is 9.2 gph. That is what the -9.4% is based on.

WOT with calm water conditions and refined propping (Opti 5950 rpms at 70 mph) (V8 6150 rpms at 73 mph) shows -11.6% reduction in fuel economy.

Moral to this story:
    I can go a little faster and don't need to put the expense DFI oil in it anymore. Keep your foot out of it and it's not too bad.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 04-13-2019 at 05:35 AM.

5. Member
    Solid report. Good to know.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nice info, Mike- thanks for sharing!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. mikesxpress
    My repower situation allows for an accurate comparison of a non-detuned 2009 Opti and the 1st batch of the V8's (mfg Feb 2018). Much more realistic than various published new boat test data as I have a baseline to compare against. I'll have a bunch more comparison data this summer now that I have completed my propeller selection/modifications along with prop to pad/trim fine tuning that is completely different from the Opti.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 04-14-2019 at 06:18 AM.

8. Member
    Mike, how does your ptp compare with that of the 2 stroke?
    2019 Phoenix 919 Pro XP - Mercury 225 Pro XS V8

9. mikesxpress
    Tom I need to run the V8 an average of 3/4" higher on my Bob's 10" plate to obtain optimum performance.

10. Member
    So you are saying that the V8 wants more fuel then the Opti?

11. mikesxpress
    Yes.

12. Member
    my first test showed greatly improved mpgs at cruise.
    I repowered from a 00yr 225 optimax to a 200 proxs . optimax best cruise was 4.5 mpg and gph never below 6.5 on plane.
    new proxs not even done break in. can hold 4.5 gph on plane 6.4 mpgs upstream. Readings done on vesselview mobile and also on garmin fuel flow.

this on a 20 ft boat full windshield
    Last edited by 12many; 04-28-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

13. mikesxpress
    Ryan the 200 V6 may have better fuel economy than your previous Opti. Once the engine is thru break-in maybe you can provide more detailed information as it relates to weather conditions, rpms, and WOT fuel consumption both before with the Opti and now with the V6?

It took me a few months and more $ to attain the correct propeller configurations after break-in to achieve close to the 6200 max rpms the engine is capable of. Stock props out of the box are +/- 2 pitch blade to blade by industry standards so I got them trued to a 23 & 24 pitch for each of the Fury 3 blades I'm using. They then went back for rpm adjustments and some increased rake to enhance bow lift. Time and $ consuming effort but the only way to get maximum performance from an outboard.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 04-29-2019 at 05:38 AM.

14. Member
    ya mike it's a 200 v8 proxs. not a v6.
    40-50 mph crusing is still improved but like 10-15 % . the low RPM fuel burn is this huge 40% gains.

this was all with a 22 bravo. gonna run the trophy trophy . tempest. then I also have a huge hydromotive qiv .
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

15. mikesxpress
    After break-in and propeller selection provide the data.

16. Member
    Always a bit amazed. 50-80k rigs and we are worried about $10-30 (If that) difference per tank of fuel between motors.
    2018 Phoenix 920 / Mercury 250R

17. Member
    ya once I get over 10 hours I'll have some solid data..but initial readings look awesome.
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

18. mikesxpress
    Big difference in being worried and being intelligent.
    If your just going around a farm pond a few times a month then fuel economy is not going to be an issue for you. Some of us travel to Erie, Santee, Okeechobee, and also run miles of inshore waterways. That -10% average difference between engines is pretty important in calculating your range of operations. It's not so much about the additional fuel cost.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Big difference in being worried and being intelligent.
    If your just going around a farm pond a few times a month then fuel economy is not going to be an issue for you. Some of us travel to Erie, Santee, Okeechobee, and also run miles of inshore waterways. That -10% average difference between engines is pretty important in calculating your range of operations. It's not so much about the additional fuel cost.
    Fair enough. Did not think of range being an issue in that perspective.
    2018 Phoenix 920 / Mercury 250R

20. Member
    fwiw I burnt 450 gallons of gas last year @ 5$ a gallon in Canada. closer to 6$ @ dock and 8 gallons opti oil at 59$ a jug. plus quickleen every tank.
    motor payments are 150 a month.
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast