Tr 186 trim question.

When I bought my boat the owner said when u run this to get the max performance/speed out of it, trim the motor up till it stops. is this true? I have a 01 tr186 w/150 merc efi with the pro trim on the console. thanks

2. Member
    That would depend on a lot of other factors such as whether or not you have a jack plate and where it is set, how your boat is loaded, prop, etc., but it might be the case. Once you are comfortable with it run the boat to WOT and keep bumping the trim up until you reach the stop. You should see the RPMs and speed climb a little with each bump up. If you reach the trim stop before you see the speed start to drop you answered your own question and the answer is YES. If you see a point where RPMs climb but speed goes down the answer is NO.

That's how I run mine.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    Yep, trim all the way for maximum performance and the motor should be run as high as possible if you have a jack plate, the chine will be easier to control with the motor high.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McKenzie View Post
    Yep, trim all the way for maximum performance and the motor should be run as high as possible if you have a jack plate, the chine will be easier to control with the motor high.
    Completely agree on raising the motor. When I got mine it was really low and the chine walk because pretty bad in the upper 50s. Once I raised it I can run wide open and take my hands of the wheel at 60.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    Get all the trim you can at full throttle.
    2000 TR186
    2018 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6in jack plate-24" Fury3