Rifle scope options

Just bought a Howa 6.5 creedmoor and been researching scopes. Anyone have any they recommend? I've been looking at Leupold and Vortex so far. Goin to be primarily a hunting rifle but would like to stretch it out some.

2. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I dont think you can go wrong with either of the brands you mentioned.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

3. Member
    The Leupold 4.5 x 14 VX-3i scope would be hard to beat, Midwayusa has a gift card offer running now when you buy one, I've only had one Vortex scope, it's been a good one also, no problems in the five years I've been using it.

4. Banned
    When I was shopping for a scope for my .308 all the reviews and feedback I got,Leupold is the one I went with.And happy with my decision.

5. Member
    I do not even look at anything other than a leupold anymore.

6. Member
    Leupold

Depends on how much money you want to spend.. You went go wrong with either the Leupold or the vortex.. When I bought my 270 back in January, I lucked up and found a Nikon Monarch 50mm Christmas special for like $300 and some change.. It was dirt cheap..$500 scope..I prefer kahles and Swarovski, schmidt and bender scopes but that's just me..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

8. Member
    Thanks guys!!!! Lawler I was think $4-600

9. Member
    Leupold...try Bear Basin Outfitters
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

10. Member
    check with Camera Land out of NY, best prices I have found. I have bought scopes, cameras and binoculars. Doug is who I deal with, always has some open box scopes for a deal. Watch out for the cheap Leupold knockoffs. I have 3 Leupold 3.5x10x50mm scopes but my Zeiss Conquest has better glass and side parallax for about what I have in Leupold, 4.5x14x44mm. For the money Nikon Monarchs are hard to beat and great customer service. I had an old pair of Nikon Monarch 10x40 binoculars and one eye piece froze up, it was about 12 years old and the other lens was scratched. Sent it back with warranty card, possible charge to remove the scratch but instead just sent a brand new bino.

I just re-scoped my 6.5 creed with a Sightron s-tac 4-20x50. 30 mm tube. It great for hunting and with 20x you can get the magnification to do some long range shooting. The 6-24 scopes are nice but sometimes 6 is too much, I like going down to 4 for close up shooting. It has great glass and I'm impressed. I removed a vs3 4.5-14 from the 6.5, It wasn't enough mag for long range stuff. It is getting remounted on the 243. Check Sightron out, I got mine off Midway.

12. Member
    Leupold VX-3 series.

DNZ game reaper mounts.

13. Member
    I've owned many, and the best bang for the buck right now is Athlon. I own 4 now and will be 5 when I finish my 6mm Creedmoor. My brother has 2 and my business partner has 3 after seeing and shooting mine. I bought one of the Sightrons which was a good scope, but no illumination and a fine reticle killed it for me. In the past 10 years half of my shots have required illumination to see the reticle against the animal. First and last light is our friend. Don't be afraid of the Argos BTR @ about $350 in 6-24x50. Excellent reticle, illuminated, first focal plane and lifetime warranty. I also have the Helos (about $550-$600) and I can't see a difference. If you have a picatinny rail, use the Warne tactical rings. Do some research on the company and read the reviews. Their stuff competes with Vortex at 2-3 times the price.

14. Member
    I ended up buying a vortex viper 6.5-20-44 BDC off a buddy that he never used mounted on the DNZ reaper 1 piece mount. The Athalon seems be pretty good for the money my uncle uses one on his .308 Ive only put like 8 Rds thru it so still a lot of shooting that needs to happen to fine tune it all.
    Last edited by skeeter21ohio; 05-07-2019 at 08:14 PM.

15. Banned
    When I was shopping for a scope if I remember correctly the Viper was the best Vortex had.I almost went with Vortex.But All the feedback I got from 3 different forums,Leupold was the leader so I went with it and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by DougN68 View Post
    The Leupold 4.5 x 14 VX-3i scope would be hard to beat, Midwayusa has a gift card offer running now when you buy one, I've only had one Vortex scope, it's been a good one also, no problems in the five years I've been using it.
    this or a 3.5 x 10 in VXIII with custom dial.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

17. Banned
    Lots of options and choices out there. There is not one brand or particular scope everyone will agree on. Look thru a few and talk with the best shooters/killers you know of and that should get your started in the right direction. Ran up on a group of hunters back in the 80's that had some of the finest scopes and custom rifles i had ever seen and heard of. Sad thing is none of them could hit a elephant at 500 yards, much less a yote.