99 2.5 200 electrical question.

Recently changed the powerhead. 99 200 EFI, S/N 0G883040. Connected all of the electrical today, with the exception of the Oil Tank Lid and the VST wires. Turned my key on to check power and my warning signal beeped as usual. A few minutes later I turned the key to the ON position again, but no beep this time. I have power to the switch and console because the backlights on all of my gauges come on and my horn and pumps all work. Is there a fuse somewhere that may have blown that goes to the warning signal?
    I turned the key to the ON position about 2 hours later and the warning beep sounded. Turned it off waited one minute and turned it to ON again, no beep.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.

2. Member
    check for 12v at purple wire going to module when key on
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I turned the key again this morning and got the Beep-beep, beep, beep like normal. A minute later, it didn’t do it. Tried it again when I just got in from work and it beeped again. I plugged the charger in just to be sure it isn’t a voltage issue.

Now that all of the electrical is hooked up, minus the oil injection, it goes through the normal beep sequence when I turn the key on. When I turn to Start, I get a sequence of continuous beeps while the motor is turning over. Could that be due to my crank battery being low?

5. Member
    if oiler is deleted why is module still connected ^^^^^( minus oil injection )
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Which module? I have the Water Sensing Module hooked up, the small box below the ECU that has the red LED, except for the light blue wire.
    Last edited by StratDude; 04-11-2019 at 04:38 PM.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Did you remove the oil tank, oil lines, sensor, driven gear, oil pump, and oil warning module? That is the correct method- then replace the driven gear and pump with the correct blockoff kit, PLUGS are installed at the Crankcase Pressure Check Valve location, and at the bottom of VST.

Temp sensor Tan w/Blue Stripe wire runs to junction point on STB side of the engine.

NO test beeps occur when properly removed and setup as a premix engine (only a solid tone for overheat).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    module on top of block behind flywheel should not be connected (purple wire) disconnected =no beepr at key on

I disconnected the purple wire from the warning module and the water sensing module and still got beeps when I cranked the motor. The oil tank is temoved and all of the oil lines. Oul tank lid is disconnected.

Correct block off kit is installed where oil pump shaft went. Temp sensors are still connected.
    Last edited by StratDude; 04-11-2019 at 05:51 PM.

I tried an experiment. Disconnected the tan wire running from the port temp sensor over to the main power plug. Still gives the start up beeps like normal, but doesn’t beep when cranking the motor.
    Last edited by StratDude; 04-11-2019 at 06:20 PM.

11. Member
    that wire you disconnected is for temp gage has nothing to do with horn ,stbd sender is for warning horn when hot

I don’t know what’s causing it. Checked it just now and it’s doing it again. Back to the drawing board.

13. Member
    make sure horn is wired correctly if it has dash mounted key switch

It hasn’t been altered.

15. Member
    the only wire that should be hooked up is tan with blue strpewire from stbd head temp sensor at junction block on solenoid plate, remove warn module on top of block and water sense module they are useless now you should get no beeps at key on

Warning module removed. Water sensor removed from port head. Still getting fast beeps when I turn the key and with motor running.
    Last edited by StratDude; 04-13-2019 at 02:00 PM.

I figured it out. Why does the Det Control and the Warning Module have to be identical? Thanks for all of your replies everyone.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    But they're not identical- they have different part numbers, and different wire colors.

Glad to hear you figured it out.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    But they're not identical- they have different part numbers, and different wire colors.

Glad to hear you figured it out.
    For whatever reason, after looking at a parts and wiring diagram I had printed off, I thought the Warning Module was the top one and the Det Control was the bottom one based on how they are stacked on the block.