Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question $200 Deep Cranking Rod

I’m looking for a deep cranker in the $200 range. Not sold on glass or composite either way. It would be a very situational rod for me, 6XD range but I’d like the option to be able to toss a 10XD the one or two tournaments a year I might need to. What I’m considering:

Shimano Zodias 7’6 MH Glass (negative being split grip and warranty)
    Dobyns 765 CB
    Dobyns 805 CB (might be more rod than I need)
    Dobyns 765 CB Glass
    ALX Zolo (not sure about guide train for my application)
    Alpha Angler Mag-Rebound (lowest on the list due to micro-guides and hideous reel seat)

Open to suggestions I didn’t list also.

I’m really iffy on micro-guides as I’d like the option of going braid-leader. Would prefer a full grip to help out with bruised ribs, but as I said this rod would be situational so I could live with a split grip. I don’t know enough to be definitive on glass vs composite, but I’d like to keep the weight down. Any suggestions appreciated!
    1997 Triton Tr-21
    1999 Johnson 225HO

2. Member
    I'm thinking about going with the Kistler KLX Feel N Reel, for my new Crankin rod. With their current sale, it's $213.

3. Member
    Falcon Lowrider 7'9" Heavy. It has a full grip too, and better yet, $130.
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

Of the rods you have listed, I would go with the 765 CB. Its a very versatile rod. I throw 5 and 6 XD’s, mid runners, squarebills, smaller swimbaits with or without underspins, and I have even thrown chatterbaits on it. I have not used any of the ALX rods but I see a lot of great reviews from members on here that use them.

Quote Originally Posted by GaBass21 View Post
    I’m looking for a deep cranker in the $200 range. Not sold on glass or composite either way. It would be a very situational rod for me, 6XD range but I’d like the option to be able to toss a 10XD the one or two tournaments a year I might need to. What I’m considering:

Shimano Zodias 7’6 MH Glass (negative being split grip and warranty)
    Dobyns 765 CB
    Dobyns 805 CB (might be more rod than I need)
    Dobyns 765 CB Glass
    ALX Zolo (not sure about guide train for my application)
    Alpha Angler Mag-Rebound (lowest on the list due to micro-guides and hideous reel seat)

Open to suggestions I didn’t list also.

I’m really iffy on micro-guides as I’d like the option of going braid-leader. Would prefer a full grip to help out with bruised ribs, but as I said this rod would be situational so I could live with a split grip. I don’t know enough to be definitive on glass vs composite, but I’d like to keep the weight down. Any suggestions appreciated!
    Can you explain about the guide train concern with ALX? We don't use micros. Our guide trains pass braid-fluoro/mono leaders with no issues. I only have two rods out of 18 in my boat that are not braid/leader set ups.

We can also build any rod with a full grip if needed.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Can you explain about the guide train concern with ALX? We don't use micros. Our guide trains pass braid-fluoro/mono leaders with no issues. I only have two rods out of 18 in my boat that are not braid/leader set ups.

We can also build any rod with a full grip if needed.
    My mistake in reading then. I was under the impression they had micro-guides. That was my main concern. I have heard nothing but great things about ALX rods.
    1997 Triton Tr-21
    1999 Johnson 225HO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    Of the rods you have listed, I would go with the 765 CB. Its a very versatile rod. I throw 5 and 6 XD’s, mid runners, squarebills, smaller swimbaits with or without underspins, and I have even thrown chatterbaits on it. I have not used any of the ALX rods but I see a lot of great reviews from members on here that use them.
    Do you think the 765 could handle stepping up to a 10XD 1 or 2 days a year, or is that too much bait for that rod?
    1997 Triton Tr-21
    1999 Johnson 225HO

8. Member
    Do you think the 765 could handle stepping up to a 10XD 1 or 2 days a year, or is that too much bait for that rod?
    No. The 765CB is extremely to soft. The rating on that rod is 1/4 to 1 ounce. A 10XD is 1.9 ounces. Step up to the 806. It’s rated 1/2 to 2 ounces which will cover 5XD, 6XD, 8XD, and 10XD usage.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeRoadBassn View Post
    No. The 765CB is extremely to soft. The rating on that rod is 1/4 to 1 ounce. A 10XD is 1.9 ounces. Step up to the 806. It’s rated 1/2 to 2 ounces which will cover 5XD, 6XD, 8XD, and 10XD usage.

I totally agree...when you step up from a 6 XD to a 8 or 10 XD, the weight of the lure increase as does the amount of pull the lure causes on the rod. That rod would probably look like a recurve bow if you tried throwing/using a 10 XD. If you throw 6 XD or smaller alot then I would focus on the 765 then save up some money and buy a different rod for the 10XD since you dont throw it as often.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    I totally agree...when you step up from a 6 XD to a 8 or 10 XD, the weight of the lure increase as does the amount of pull the lure causes on the rod. That rod would probably look like a recurve bow if you tried throwing/using a 10 XD. If you throw 6 XD or smaller alot then I would focus on the 765 then save up some money and buy a different rod for the 10XD since you dont throw it as often.
    I have a good rod to work everything up to a 5XD, so I guess I'll give a closer look to the 805/806. Jut not sure they'll fit in my rod locker haha.
    1997 Triton Tr-21
    1999 Johnson 225HO

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    From what I’ve read and heard, since I don’t throw anything that deep, I’d call Alex at ALX, he will put you in the right model for you and if you have preferences he will build what you want.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    Put the Major Craft Nanoace crankbait lineup of rods on your list...damn good rods for well under $200.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Pro Shopper View Post
    Falcon Lowrider 7'9" Heavy. It has a full grip too, and better yet, $130.
    I agree. These are 99.00 at Sportsmansmansoutfitters.com

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Cranksta View Post
    I agree. These are 99.00 at Sportsmansmansoutfitters.com
    Welp you sold me. And saved me a few $$. Thanks!
    1997 Triton Tr-21
    1999 Johnson 225HO

15. Scraps
    Welp you sold me. And saved me a few $$. Thanks!
    Plenty of really good options out there for well under $200.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

IMHO, a 6xd rod and 10xd rod are two completely different rods.
    USMC Vet!

You can find a first generation Megabass Levante Launcher for about $100-150

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    I only have two rods out of 18 in my boat that are not braid/leader set ups.
    Which two?
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Pretty much what in thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey1e View Post
    IMHO, a 6xd rod and 10xd rod are two completely different rods.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    You can find a first generation Megabass Levante Launcher for about $100-150
    i’d sell him My levante launcher for $150 so I can get a 2nd gen launcher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast