Feedback on swapping out Fortrex on Puma FTD

BCB or others who are in the know-

Getting ready to swap my 45” Fortrex for a 52” Fortrex and wanted any tips or tricks to make it easy.
    New to me unit arrives tomorrow and what I have researched the 6 hole mount should line up exactly.

Does anyone know if the port side locker will be blocked from opening when tm stowed?
    Looks like I just need to pull coverplate at bow where plug connects and this will provide access to underside nuts for bolts.

It only blocks the locker lid a little, you can still get in it, you just can't get it open all the way with the motor stowed. It's not going to cause you problems.

3. Member
    Thanks Mike. Just eyeballing it looked close.

Since I am removing the plug coverplate and will be working in the area I am going to disconnect the HOT battery cable feeding the trolling motor. Also going to test out the new unit not mounted in place.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    It only blocks the locker lid a little, you can still get in it, you just can't get it open all the way with the motor stowed. It's not going to cause you problems.
    ^^^^^ I have a Cougar but same boat and have the 52. Sometimes it's easier to just go ahead and lift tm up to where it's lower unit seats on the bracket at tip of bow. My Fortrex holds solidly there. It's not hurting it. Then you have full range with the rod locker lid.

5. Rich Purington
    It is manageable with the rod locker. I find the larger issue is the clearance over rods on the deck port side. Just not much room so be careful of reels.
    2018 Puma FTD
    250 ProXS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellevue Bobber View Post
    It is manageable with the rod locker. I find the larger issue is the clearance over rods on the deck port side. Just not much room so be careful of reels.
    ^^^^Yes!!! I meant to add this. I have bent a few reel handles by having them places in the wrong little area when showing tm. It was nothing I couldn't fix with a vise and pliers. But makes the reel feel different for rest of the day.

I wouldn't want a 52 unless I frequently fished rough water. Not being able to fully open the rod box and prop it open is a deal breaker. Having to hold it partially open with one hand while trying to look in managing the rods with the other hand is a PITA. As mentioned there is less room to store rods on the deck, and you have to be more careful stowing the TM, without damaging rods/reels.

8. Member
    Thanks everyone. Fortrex Installation:
    52” base 6 hole pattern matched the 45” base. Access was through Tm plug mounting coverplate. Forward most was most challenging but readily doable. Tip: I duct base the washer to underside of backside plate BCB provides to make reassembly easy while working up top cap mounting nylon threaded nuts.

installation; At all heights able to put in and remove all 24 rods easily. Tm Much more effective in waves on the river. I will see how adjustments work chasing greenies looking for beds today.

9. Member
    Also, unless they changed something in the last couple years, the 45" will mount right back on the 52" base. Simple hex bolt, 3 screws on the foot pedal, unplug and swap. I would use the 45" around home and swap out for the 52" when heading to St. Clair or the great lakes. Plus always had a back up to take with for bigger tourneys.
    Buy a second transducer then you don't have to mess with that when swapping.

10. Member
    Exactly. But the 52" won't mount on the 45" base.

only thing I can say is if the cover plate where it plugs into is the same as mine on my older Cougar I hope you have small arms cause getting inside that thing to get to the nuts is a bear.
    my arm hurt for days from forcing my arm up inside