Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solix major issues after latest update

Alright, let me preface this post with some other information, prior to the latest update for the Solix 10s the only issue I would come across was sometimes the bow and console unit would not link up in the "network" (maybe 30% of the time, not a deal breaker by any means) reluctant to update I did anyway thinking it may take care of that problem. Well, it sure did they sync up like a charm every time now no matter what order I turn them on or off but...now....

This latest update has seemed to break more things than fix for me. Solix 10s SI.

Problem number 1 the humminbird lakemaster chart keeps locking up on 1 of my two units, no rhyme or reason to which one it is; other than when I put them both to display a chart, 1 locks up to a black or white box. If I run 1 graph without the chart screen on, the other Solix works fine. Basically I can only have mapping on 1 unit now.

Problem number 2, sonar keeps painting this stupid interference line? You can see it doesn’t matter if I’m in clear mode or max mode it shows a clutter in the same spot. Both units do it. Never had it before. Any ideas? Both run of there own transducer TM and Transom same issue nearly identical. Even with 1 transducer off its still there.

Problem number 3, the bow unit frequently has the sonar lock up and just freeze. The 2d, the MEGA DI and SI, 455 etc doesn't matter what frequency it just locks up. Only remedy here is to reboot...

I spent 60% of my day on the water troubleshooting these graphs. I don't know if this is all a software problem (i sure hope it is) but its really becoming a big problem for me. When they work, they work great! but since this last update I don't know if they have worked 100% at all. I know the potential is there, just hope there will be fixes for this. And with tournament season in full swing sending in the units to humminbird for weeks at a time just seems unacceptable to me.

Thanks for any help you can offer, long time reader newish poster/thread starter.

Attached Images Attached Images

Problem 2 is probably your surface clutter setting. Turn it down a couple but you may get depth reading issues.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

3. Yankee Troller
    I have Problem #2 as well with Gen2 SOLIX connected to an AIRMAR B45.

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    Problem 2 is probably your surface clutter setting. Turn it down a couple but you may get depth reading issues.
    I've played with a bunch of settings to try and rid that line. I can't other than turning the sensitivity down too low.
    Captain Richard Hajecki

Humminbird: (2) SOLIX 12 G3, (3) SOLIX 10 G3, CHIRP Radar, MEGA Live, Lakemaster VX, (2) Eth 5PGL, GPS HS

4. Member
    Yeah problem number 2 seems to be more common than I thought I guess. I watched a YouTube video from Doug Vahrenburg and it looked like he had the the same thing going on too. It’s not the end of the world as long as the sonar still works as intended I guess. Mostly concerned now with the freezing and the lack of chart on 2 units

5. Member
    I just hooked my Solix g2 up yesterday and I also have a Onix on the bow.They are not networked and both are hooked up to a decidacted battery and I noticed something strange. I turned on the Solix and messed with it some and the voltage read like 11.6 I figured the battery needed charged and I turned it off. Then I turned on the Onix to look at some setting and the voltage was 12.4 both unints are about 5 feet from the battery. When I set the Onix up years ago I cut some length of the power cord off and added 10 gauge marine wire to the power cable could that be the reason I wonder. I know those wires for the power cable look small on that Solix power cable.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    I just hooked my Solix g2 up yesterday and I also have a Onix on the bow.They are not networked and both are hooked up to a decidacted battery and I noticed something strange. I turned on the Solix and messed with it some and the voltage read like 11.6 I figured the battery needed charged and I turned it off. Then I turned on the Onix to look at some setting and the voltage was 12.4 both unints are about 5 feet from the battery. When I set the Onix up years ago I cut some length of the power cord off and added 10 gauge marine wire to the power cable could that be the reason I wonder. I know those wires for the power cable look small on that Solix power cable.
    Interesting you bring this up as I was wondering if maybe this had something to do with it too. Perhaps the latest updates has the unit pull more power than before, it always seemed slower than the console unit even when it was brand new. The dealer did the install so I’m sure it’s just stock wiring, I will have a look today to see what is going on under the deck. Anyone know off had if there are some videos on here about adding 10 gauge wire to these units? 1 thing I don’t like tinkering with too much is electric wiring but I’m always keen to learn! Time to start searching

7. Member
    Airbus, I think most of your issues will go away if you run #10 marine wire to both units. The only issue might be the map issue that an update will help. Freezing with less wire size or poor connections has been fixed with the larger wire many times. Get a screenshot of your "line" on #2 so we can tell you what it is. Bob

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirbusAngler View Post
    Interesting you bring this up as I was wondering if maybe this had something to do with it too. Perhaps the latest updates has the unit pull more power than before, it always seemed slower than the console unit even when it was brand new. The dealer did the install so I’m sure it’s just stock wiring, I will have a look today to see what is going on under the deck. Anyone know off had if there are some videos on here about adding 10 gauge wire to these units? 1 thing I don’t like tinkering with too much is electric wiring but I’m always keen to learn! Time to start searching
    Where you located?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    Where you located?
    Near Little Elm (Lewisville lake area TX)

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Airbus, I think most of your issues will go away if you run #10 marine wire to both units. The only issue might be the map issue that an update will help. Freezing with less wire size or poor connections has been fixed with the larger wire many times. Get a screenshot of your "line" on #2 so we can tell you what it is. Bob
    Thanks yeah I will be looking into the wire today. As far as the image goes I uploaded an attachment is it not visible?

11. Member
    The dual spectrum has that line but the one on mine is thinner and solid blue and normally shows up when sensitivity is above 14. You can set your upper depth to 5 and it will eliminate the top 5 feet of the water column on the screen

12. Member
    yeah thats a great idea I don't really need the first few feet of water anyway good tip!

13. Member
    So sonar filter or surface clutter won' clear that? I was looking for a line and did not see a line. Maybe water type? Bob

Quote Originally Posted by AirbusAngler View Post
    yeah thats a great idea I don't really need the first few feet of water anyway good tip!
    If you did a Depth Offset for the distance the transducer is submerged, the surface clutter line will be lower than it would be if you did not add depth to the Offset. That is what it looks like to me.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    @wayne the offset is already set to plus 1. Thing is I have the same interference line on my TM transducer too just a little deeper around the 4' mark.

Surface clutter:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    Problem #3 I have since updating my Gen1 with 3.36 Humminbird sent me update 3.4 early but boats in shop for repair and unable to test it yet. Hope it works, never had issue until update.
    Last edited by deadadrift89; 04-13-2019 at 12:58 PM.

18. Member
    Well here’s what’s been going on so far after a few days of troubleshooting.

Aftee some more troubleshooting I have been able to minimize problem 2 with tweaking more settings...such as minimizing the first few feet of water column. I’m happy with this patch for now

problem number 1 is still very pertinent and extremely annoying, however when I first purchased my Gen1s the dealer said I need 2 lakemaster cards as the Solix doesn’t share map info...well I’ve come to realize that was incorrect and maybe having both cards in the units may be causing some conflicts...will try a full default restore and update to 3.4

Problem number 3 is my most annoying, renders the unit useless, but what I’ve found I don’t think it’s a wiring issue, I can still use the menus and even switch to transom transducer and it works fine, I thought maybe the TM transducer was bad so I replaced yesterday with a brand new one but nope same issue with sonar freezing. The transducer just stops pinging. Mind you I NEVER had this issue prior to 3.36. Will also try the full default restore and update to 3.4 today.

If anyone has solved the issue with sonar freezes let me know. Do y’all think it sounds like a power supply problem? The unit is not frozen, the transducer just stops. (Brand new transducer)

19. Member
    YES. Run the bigger wire.

Agree with bob - if you want to test just get a spare power cable and run direct to the battery and try that out. I just got done putting 3.40 through its paces and am very happy with it. Seems snappier, great 2D images and the new touch menus are great.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast