Thread: G3 Eagle 165

G3 Eagle 165

I am going to look at a 2005 Eagle 165 in a couple weeks. The current owner has a 2007 20HP Yamaha four stroke on the back of the boat. I am afraid the boat may be pretty under powered. I really dont need anything that is going to fly on the water as this will be my starter boat that I can tow behind my CRV. Just wondering if anyone has an Eagle 165 with a similar motor setup? If not, what do you guys think? Should I be concerned that it isn't enough power? I would like to use the boat on some smaller bodies of water around Rochester NY.

2. Member
    For what it’s worth I just bought a 2006 Eagle 175 back in November. It has a 50 hp , I just launched for the first time last weekend. It got on plane pretty quick and I managed 32 mph on the Helix. For my needs a 50 hp is plenty for me.

3. Member
    Look at the horsepower plate (found near the helm) attached to the boat. It will list the maximum horsepower allowed for that model boat. Take 75% of that max hp number. Any thing below your 75% computed number will be an underpowered motor.

4. Member
    A slightly smaller boat with a little larger engine but it might help. I am guessing that with an average load your 165 will just plane out and run around 19-20 mph

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho...2010-05-12_alm

5. Member
    Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I bit the bullet and got the boat. Seems to perform pretty well, I put some weight in the from storage compartments and it gets on plane.