Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT188 to AVX1980

Any owners gone from an rt188 to a Vexus avx1980? Looking for some real world feedback besides the obvious speed difference.

2. Member
    I don't think I would want to. $10,000 more for a extra ft. in length and maybe 8-10mph. Not worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    I don't think I would want to. $10,000 more for a extra ft. in length and maybe 8-10mph. Not worth it to me.
    That is the dilemma I am in

4. Banned
    More than $10,000

5. Member
    I have seen them side by side, its not just an extra ft. or the mph, its the fit and finish. I own a Ranger aluminum and if I had it to do over again I would own a Vexus hands down, I like my Ranger but the Vexus is next level as far as the tin side.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikcarl61 View Post
    I have seen them side by side, its not just an extra ft. or the mph, its the fit and finish. I own a Ranger aluminum and if I had it to do over again I would own a Vexus hands down, I like my Ranger but the Vexus is next level as far as the tin side.
    +2. A few of the Vexus features I like are the Livewell, Rear deck storage, battery compartment, more of a design and finish category. I also have previously owned an RT 188, it was a great boat and I had zero issues in the 3 years of ownership.

My personal favorite aluminum boat out right now is the LUND Renegade, but I don't have any Lund dealers close by, but I do have a Vexus dealer within a short drive. Got the new boat fever.

I rode and fished out of a RT188 and a Vexus AVX1980 last week at Santee. No comparison, in my book. The Vexus is far superior in every aspect.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    No one is arguing the quality or finish of the Vexus. Some people buy work trucks, some people buy Denali's.

9. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    A true comparison would be a RT188 vs the AVX189, these are the most similar boats.
    When you step up to the AVX1980 you enter whole different class of boat. With a 150Hp engine, and modern fiberglass boat styling.

Ranger RT188 Overhead
    cq5dam.web.1920.1920.png

Vexus AVX189 Overhead
    orig_8ae9de735b3f19f7a806bfc9641eb5b8b62c850d.jpg

10. Member
    Why wouldn't you compare it to an AVX1880???? There is only a two inch difference and the other specs are about the same as far as physical measurements....

Vexus are very nice boats, but they have a stout price tag when you negotiate an out the door price. I also found the Vexus dealer not nearly as willing to deal on the boat as the Ranger dealers in my area. Maybe it is because the Vexus dealer has a monopoly on the boat and the price is high. Ranger has many dealers within this end of the state and has to be more willing to make you a deal on their boat.....Vexus, not so much. They have one dealer so he can do as he likes as far as working with you on price or your trade. They are nice, but the 1880 with options is a lot more when you look at the real price you can negotiate IMHO.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    A true comparison would be a RT188 vs the AVX189, these are the most similar boats.
    When you step up to the AVX1980 you enter whole different class of boat. With a 150Hp engine, and modern fiberglass boat styling.

Ranger RT188 Overhead
    cq5dam.web.1920.1920.png

Vexus AVX189 Overhead
    orig_8ae9de735b3f19f7a806bfc9641eb5b8b62c850d.jpg

EXACTLY!

12. Member
    So you want to load the boat up with options but keep the base price point..................right

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    So you want to load the boat up with options but keep the base price point..................right
    Not really. Not at all. This is what I do...

I use a copier and printer and print a list of options I want. Then I give the exact same sheets to the dealers and I let them tell me the out the door price.... but your method might work too. It didn't work for me though. Different dealers and manufacturers have different markups they use.... some deal and some don't is what I found.

Some have to deal to sell....some are the only game in town or in state and they dont have to.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

14. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    Not really. Not at all. This is what I do...

I use a copier and printer and print a list of options I want. Then I give the exact same sheets to the dealers and I let them tell me the out the door price.... but your method might work too. It didn't work for me though. Different dealers and manufacturers have different markups they use.... some deal and some don't is what I found.

Some have to deal to sell....some are the only game in town or in state and they dont have to.
    You are a smart man Sir.
    IMHO, the OP should go deal on and buy an RT198p and be done with 'er...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Had a RT188 and now a 1980. No comparison. The Vexus fit, finish and ride/handling is a huge step up. Zero regrets and 100% satisfied. Vexus set the bar with their boats. 1880 is closest in size to the 188, however side by side and overall performance, the 188 isn't a comparable. Again, just my opinion having owned both.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

16. Member
    floorplan-overhead_149147.pngjust for more information, it seems that the crestliner vt 18 which is 4000 less than ranger might not be a bad choice
    Last edited by BBW; 04-12-2019 at 11:58 AM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    floorplan-overhead_149147.pngjust for more information, it seems that the crestliner vt 18 which is 4000 less than ranger might not be a bad choice

If you have a great dealer nearby and can get it for 4K less I would agree.

I've been in a Vexus 189 on the showroom floor. I haven't been in one on the water. From the showroom floor I don't see a dime difference in price unless you just have to have poles with a warranty. I see a gamble on the Ranger transom or the Veus company in that scenario. I'd likely bet on the Vexus warranty if I were in the situation. I've made it my whole life without power poles. I can have my dealer install one and keep my warranty. I just don't see trading for the Vexus 189 or 1880. Unless the Vexus really surprised me on the water I'd still buy the RT188. The 189 I looked at would have cost more. They are both real nice aluminum boats. 4K nicer than a Crestliner is a personal choice.

You are not looking at the same boats between a 1980 and a 188. You'll likely have to step up to a 19' glass boat to compare to that one if what I read about how they ride is true. If it's a dilemma I assume you can afford it. I've thought about a 19' Cat Panterra Classic. That's maybe 20-25K difference? Then again that's not a fair comparison with a 150 since it would have a 4S v8. My little RT188 is paid for, it's simple to own, its just easy, and I kinda like it that way. I'd say do what will bring you peace.
    Last edited by n2ratfishin; 04-12-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    If you have a great dealer nearby and can get it for 4K less I would agree.

I've been in a Vexus 189 on the showroom floor. I haven't been in one on the water. From the showroom floor I don't see a dime difference in price unless you just have to have poles with a warranty. I see a gamble on the Ranger transom or the Veus company in that scenario. I'd likely bet on the Vexus warranty if I were in the situation. I've made it my whole life without power poles. I can have my dealer install one and keep my warranty. I just don't see trading for the Vexus 189 or 1880. Unless the Vexus really surprised me on the water I'd still buy the RT188. The 189 I looked at would have cost more. They are both real nice aluminum boats. 4K nicer than a Crestliner is a personal choice.

You are not looking at the same boats between a 1980 and a 188. You'll likely have to step up to a 19' glass boat to compare to that one if what I read about how they ride is true. If it's a dilemma I assume you can afford it. I've thought about a 19' Cat Panterra Classic. That's maybe 20-25K difference? Then again that's not a fair comparison with a 150 since it would have a 4S v8. My little RT188 is paid for, it's simple to own, its just easy, and I kinda like it that way. I'd say do what will bring you peace.
    It will.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

19. Member
    Just getting back into the bulletin board and noticed this so my response is for those that have yet to make a decision...here's my experience...

I began my tin boat experience back with the RT178C loved it but after two years I decided I needed a bump it up to the RT188 (mainly bass fishing) though I was contemplating the RT198P but disliked that they painted the hull because one of my favorite nearby fishing lakes doesn't have a dock and just a launch ramp and didn't want to have a hull that showed a bunch of scratches so I opted to just go with the RT188 instead; have a rough start from the onset as there were quality issues with the fit and finish that couldn't be overlooked and not the experience I had loved and promoted with my former purchase. After working through those issues I finally had the boat I could be proud of. It was a great boat (VMAX engine) but after another 2 years later and a decision that I really needed to be on a pad hull with a faster engine I elected to evaluate the current state of Ranger boats (including entry level glass boats) and the new Vexus boats which I had been hearing about. To be frank one of the issues I have despite fishability of the boats is their appearance...if I am gonna buy a new boat I want it to look like it's a new boat and not an afterthought. I was unimpressed and frankly taken back by Ranger putting out a boat (both of my past boats were Charcoal Gray) that would have new "green decals" and seat color trim and yet still have the motor stay red trim (assuming Yamaha VMAX or Merc)...looking closer at the paint, I still saw imperfections in the paint process and again contributed to my decision process. I was impressed by the Vexus fit and finish (not quitely without flaws as my first Ranger boat was but they were tiny and not show stoppers). The space, the appearance, and conversations I had with others were later proven out...THERE IS NO COMPARISON between RT188 and AVX 1980 and are night and day different. You could argue that wouldn't be a fair comparison, I will grant you that but most people compare against what they presently own and what they intend to step up to...that's my yard stick and frankly I view my decision tree as gates to pass; the Ranger RT198P didn't pass the fit and finish gate nor the appearance gate and the Ranger glass boat once I loaded it with what I wanted, price me out of what I was willing to spend so I ended up with the Vexus AVX 1980 Summit White with the matching Evinrude Etec G2 150. This thing is a beast, it's very stable, every time I get on a lake I always get compliments (as I did with my former Ranger Charcoal Gray boats) and above all it's night and day when comparing on boats up on water. With regard to compartments and storage there are trade offs but I still lean toward the Vexus design. You give up under seat storage but get better seats that are way more comfortable for long fishing days. If I had a complaint about the Vexus its that I have to be more careful weaving between stumps to avoid banging against my Vexus logo appliqués. All in all, there is no comparison and if anyone was truly evaluating Vexus, go and knock tap on the boats you are evaluating and notice the difference in metal thickness, look at the paint finish, and think about the layout and fishability of the boat. Have them show you the battery compartment and think about serviceability.

Owned Ranger RT178C, RT188, and presently enjoying my Vexus AVX 1980 Summit White Bass Boat with matching Evinrude Etec G2 150

20. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    There are many holes that could be shot in the last post, but, what the hey...

Congratulations on your purchase, and I hope she brings you years of enjoyment!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast