Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    +2. A few of the Vexus features I like are the Livewell, Rear deck storage, battery compartment, more of a design and finish category. I also have previously owned an RT 188, it was a great boat and I had zero issues in the 3 years of ownership.

My personal favorite aluminum boat out right now is the LUND Renegade, but I don't have any Lund dealers close by, but I do have a Vexus dealer within a short drive. Got the new boat fever.
    You have Lookout Marine (LUND)in Somerset Ky thats not that far away. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

3. Banned
    I'm good!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toadhead View Post
    Just getting back into the bulletin board and noticed this so my response is for those that have yet to make a decision...here's my experience...

I began my tin boat experience back with the RT178C loved it but after two years I decided I needed a bump it up to the RT188 (mainly bass fishing) though I was contemplating the RT198P but disliked that they painted the hull because one of my favorite nearby fishing lakes doesn't have a dock and just a launch ramp and didn't want to have a hull that showed a bunch of scratches so I opted to just go with the RT188 instead; have a rough start from the onset as there were quality issues with the fit and finish that couldn't be overlooked and not the experience I had loved and promoted with my former purchase. After working through those issues I finally had the boat I could be proud of. It was a great boat (VMAX engine) but after another 2 years later and a decision that I really needed to be on a pad hull with a faster engine I elected to evaluate the current state of Ranger boats (including entry level glass boats) and the new Vexus boats which I had been hearing about. To be frank one of the issues I have despite fishability of the boats is their appearance...if I am gonna buy a new boat I want it to look like it's a new boat and not an afterthought. I was unimpressed and frankly taken back by Ranger putting out a boat (both of my past boats were Charcoal Gray) that would have new "green decals" and seat color trim and yet still have the motor stay red trim (assuming Yamaha VMAX or Merc)...looking closer at the paint, I still saw imperfections in the paint process and again contributed to my decision process. I was impressed by the Vexus fit and finish (not quitely without flaws as my first Ranger boat was but they were tiny and not show stoppers). The space, the appearance, and conversations I had with others were later proven out...THERE IS NO COMPARISON between RT188 and AVX 1980 and are night and day different. You could argue that wouldn't be a fair comparison, I will grant you that but most people compare against what they presently own and what they intend to step up to...that's my yard stick and frankly I view my decision tree as gates to pass; the Ranger RT198P didn't pass the fit and finish gate nor the appearance gate and the Ranger glass boat once I loaded it with what I wanted, price me out of what I was willing to spend so I ended up with the Vexus AVX 1980 Summit White with the matching Evinrude Etec G2 150. This thing is a beast, it's very stable, every time I get on a lake I always get compliments (as I did with my former Ranger Charcoal Gray boats) and above all it's night and day when comparing on boats up on water. With regard to compartments and storage there are trade offs but I still lean toward the Vexus design. You give up under seat storage but get better seats that are way more comfortable for long fishing days. If I had a complaint about the Vexus its that I have to be more careful weaving between stumps to avoid banging against my Vexus logo appliqués. All in all, there is no comparison and if anyone was truly evaluating Vexus, go and knock tap on the boats you are evaluating and notice the difference in metal thickness, look at the paint finish, and think about the layout and fishability of the boat. Have them show you the battery compartment and think about serviceability.

Owned Ranger RT178C, RT188, and presently enjoying my Vexus AVX 1980 Summit White Bass Boat with matching Evinrude Etec G2 150

As a former RT188 owner myself, your post hold validity since you have personally owned both brands. Really wanting a Lund but I have a good Vexus dealer not far away & that may be the deciding factor for me. Might check out the Vexus equivalent of the RT188, but I was thinking that model didn’t offer a recess trolling motor pedal?

This dealer usually has a big in house boat show in January/February ish, eager to check out the new choices.

If there not a big gap in $ also consider a glass Phoenix 618.

Congratulations on your Vexus, hope she gives good service for many years.

5. Banned
    Personally 30 grand is about the cut off for a aluminum boat . I have a rt 188
    loaded and if I need something more going back to glass. With that being said I will stay with the rt 188
    cant see spending that kind of money on aluminum.
    J D

6. Member
    Ditto JD. My RT188 was at the upper limits of what I wanted to spend, right at 30K OTD including the Merc Platinum extended warranty.

There are several great glass 18’s out there if I’m spending near 40K.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Ditto JD. My RT188 was at the upper limits of what I wanted to spend, right at 30K OTD including the Merc Platinum extended warranty.

There are several great glass 18’s out there if I’m spending near 40K.
    i really like the rt 188 but if I was spending anymore I would go back to glass.
    Just can’t see spending 40 grand or more on any aluminum boat period.
    J D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12