No fuel/water separator?

Recently purchased a new boat and there is no external fuel/water separator in the battery compartment like I see on other boats. I talked to some other sho owners that don’t have external fuel/water separators and they have had zero problems with 500 plus hours on their boats. Just was curious if this is a must have to add to my boat and how hard is it to add?

2. Member
    Not hard just finding a spot where separator mounts level horizontal. I added mine and have to cut a wedge to get mine sit level horizontal and keep in mind space when changing the filter.

3. Fishing is a Passion
    Multiple Bass boats owned, never had a separator and never any issues related. Could just be dumb luck.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

4. Member
    I was told by mechanic when I bought the boat to add one. Good measure of protection fight against trash and water..

5. Member
    Consider it as a cheap form of insurance.

Now some don't have a boat mounted fuel filter and some don't carry external insurance. One side does not fit all.

Mercury in same cases recommends against the use of a supplemental filter on the basis that it can cause an undue restriction to fuel flow.

I would add one ASAP! I want all that crap in the fuel out of the system well before it hits the motor mounted filters. It’s only a matter of time Until your fuel gets low and you suck up sediment/water in the tank.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    I wouldn't own a boat without one. I have installed them on my last three boats. It's an easy job if you are very inclined and it's pretty cheap insurance. Just make sure you get one that will provide more than enough fuel flow in gallons per hour for your engine.

8. Member
    Yamaha makes the separator housing and has a 10 micron filter. Cheap insurance compared to a motor rebuild.

9. Member
    This happened to me twice. First time was about 30 years ago and was fishing a tournament on lake erie in 3 footers. after 2 days of practice motor would start and run then shut down. run very rough when it would run. We ended up splitting up with partner and fishing with other guys in the club. When we got home I found bunch of water had gotten into the fuel tank via the air vent and the motor was picking it up from the bottom of the tank. Fast forward 30 years and was fishing st clair in same kind of conditions. You guessed it. Same exact thing. This time we disconnected fuel line where it enters the front of motor and used the bulb to pump out this white nasty fluid. Took a little while to get it running again but it cleared up. Now I didnt have a fuel separator either time and I dont know if it would have helped with that much water but I now use them just in case. Anyone fishing all day in rough water should definitely take your fuel separator off and empty it when you get home especially if you see your vent going below water line while you are out.