5 Star Marine - Trim Repair

Has anybody used 5 Star Marine in Florida to rebuild a Trim for a OX66 VMax? I like the 2 year warranty that is offered.

I used the other guy. I wouldn’t hesitate to use 5 star.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

3. Member
    Did you use 5 star marine and if so how was the outcome
    Alfred Reid

5 star does great work. Your unit will come back looking and working like new. If other parts are needed they will call you.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

5. Member
    Thanks for the feed back they already called me in response to inquiry
    Alfred Reid

6. Member
    He has alot of good reviews but I have had a terrible experience. My motor was dropping down slowly and I tried everything but after reading the reviews I decided to send it in to him. Price was good at $470.00. It took 2 hours and alot of swearing to get the unit off. I mailed it in and got an email that the cost would be $160.00 more than expected due to parts needed. I said OK and got the unit back in less than 2 weeks. He recommended cutting the wires instead of undoing them as it would be easier so I did. I got the unit back and it looked like it was brand new. It took quite a while to re-install and part of it was that he but the wrong size wire connectors on the cut wires. I worked around that, lined everything up and bolted everything back together and it worked like new. Then 2 months later the same thing started happening and you can imagine how pissed I was. Gave him a call and had to argue about getting a return shipping label. Anyway went through the process again and when I received it back I put the correct butt connecters on which was a good thing as there wasn't a whole lot of extra wire left. When I finally got it re-installed it worked fine again. For two months again. This time it dropped from all the way up to all the way down in less than a minute. I damaged my prop in shallow water which is how I noticed. This time I was enraged. I called and said I don't want to go through the pain of uninstalling and reinstalling the unit and asked for my money back. I sent him 3 videos of the motor dropping down but he said I'll have to send it back in again. He said it could be a valve or some other crap but I really didn't want to hear it. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice same on me. I have no faith that sending it back a third time will make a difference. In shallow water I trim the motor up and lock it. He seems like a nice enough guy and I understand things can get overlooked but I just do not want to tear the back of the boat apart for a third time.
    When all else fails, go fishing.

7. Member
    They rebuilt the trim unit on my Yamaha 175. I sent it in saying it was leaking down slowly like the above post. I got it back in just under two weeks, put it on and motor still leaked down. They apologized and paid for it to be shipped back down and fixed it right. It’s only been a month or so and it’s till working fine.

8. Member
    Keep an eye on the timeline. The warranty seems to only apply to the original repair, not the second or third repairs which seems a little odd. No warranty on any repairs needed after the original repair.
    I would send mine back if it was just a matter of unbolting and bolting it back on and re-wiring but I have to remove the steering cable, the right side mount, and remove the lower mounting bolt on the left side just to gt at one of the mounting bolts for the unit. Worst design i have ever seen. Then there is the wiring. Not much left after cutting it twice and cutting off the wrong size butt connectors that were put on before being sent back. He put on 14 but should have been 10.
    When all else fails, go fishing.