Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    As high on boat as possible and still 5" p2p? Is it a long shaft motor?
    I would think do.. measured from bottom of motor to top of cavitation plate is about 25in
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

2. Member
    Look on the drivers side of the motor on the motor mounting bracket and there is a sticker with your model number, serial number and max rpms. That will tell you what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Look on the drivers side of the motor on the motor mounting bracket and there is a sticker with your model number, serial number and max rpms. That will tell you what you have.
    IMG_20190417_201733052.jpg
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

4. Banned
    For some strange reason I thought about your post today and realised you stated it was a 25" shaft motor. I hope Pat or one of the other setup guru's will step in if I'm wrong. But as far as I know the vast majority of bass hulls are designed to run a 20" shaft motor and with a long shaft motor the setup will never be 100%.

5. Member
    It's a 20" shaft motor by the label he posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    It's a 20" shaft motor by the label he posted above.
    Sorry, I must have measured wrong. Thankfully the sticker was there.

On a side note my new prop came (24p), when comparing to old it looks different. The old prop flattens out before the curve where the new one does not. I wonder if the guy who worked on it last messed it up? All 3 blades look exactly the same.

IMG_20190421_121629544.jpg
    Last edited by johnsobo; 04-21-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

7. Banned
    Prop should have cup all the out to the ear. Try your new prop I will bet you see a new ride.

Hey guys first off I would like to say thank you for your help. I got the boat out today finally with the new prop (24 fury). This time out I had the boat full of gas, livewells full two guys, and gear. The new prop is wonderful, the boat nose did not rise very high it got on plane very quickly and the RPMs where at 5920 at 50.5 miles an hour and it held those RPMs and speed as far as I wanted to run.

I did look into adding a Jack plate but was told by at least three marinas that since I had cable steering I cannot use a jack plate as the cable would probably kink.I am not a boat mechanic so I do not know but I am very happy with the way things are now so I am just going to leave it, I am not even going to get a foil.
    Thanks John
    2015 Nitro Z6
    2015 Mercury 115 4S CT

9. Banned
    Not sure about kinking a cable the only thing with a jackplate is the set back. Most boats can accommodate 4"-6" jackplate with no issues anything over that the cables need to be replaced with a longer pair to compensate for the motor being moved back.

Good to hear it's better.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsobo View Post
    Hey guys first off I would like to say thank you for your help. I got the boat out today finally with the new prop (24 fury). This time out I had the boat full of gas, livewells full two guys, and gear. The new prop is wonderful, the boat nose did not rise very high it got on plane very quickly and the RPMs where at 5920 at 50.5 miles an hour and it held those RPMs and speed as far as I wanted to run.

I did look into adding a Jack plate but was told by at least three marinas that since I had cable steering I cannot use a jack plate as the cable would probably kink.I am not a boat mechanic so I do not know but I am very happy with the way things are now so I am just going to leave it, I am not even going to get a foil.
    Thanks John
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    I know you have seen improvement via the prop, but make sure you measure prop to pad on the actual pad in front of the step on a Nitro. You may actually have the motor too high still. Also, when you move the motor, make sure you use 4200 (not starting an argument over what to use just avoid 5200 or silicone) to seal her up inside and out or you WILL get water intrusion to the transom (even on new boats). Just a friendly reminder.
    I have a boat.

I can also add some info...i had a nitro 640 a few years back and wanted to add a jack plate. It had manual steering cables also. Was told the angle that the cable came out of the rigging hole in the transom would put too much angle on the cable. It was already at an awkward angle and stressed the cable. Over time the plastic cover on the cable broke and caused corrosion inside the steering cable assembly and eventually the steering broke. Somewhat lucky i was not going fast but was 7 miles from the ramp. I put the throttle in gear at idle and sat on the back of the boat turning the 90 hp motor by hand till i got back...not fun.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    I can also add some info...i had a nitro 640 a few years back and wanted to add a jack plate. It had manual steering cables also. Was told the angle that the cable came out of the rigging hole in the transom would put too much angle on the cable. It was already at an awkward angle and stressed the cable. Over time the plastic cover on the cable broke and caused corrosion inside the steering cable assembly and eventually the steering broke. Somewhat lucky i was not going fast but was 7 miles from the ramp. I put the throttle in gear at idle and sat on the back of the boat turning the 90 hp motor by hand till i got back...not fun.
    I've done that with a 150 Merc on the Missouri River one time. Also used a cast iron skillet to steer it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12