Grandkids first fishing trip

My grandson called and wants me to take him fishing for the first time. He’s seven and has never voiced any interest in fishing till now. Where would you go in central Virginia?

2. Member
    Fishing from boat or the bank?
    Semper Fi

3. Member
    May want to look for a stocked pond somewhere close by
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Fishing from a bass boat.

If you have access to the Hot Side of Lake Anna I would definitely go there if you're just wanting to catch some fish.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    A friends did very well with his son at Great Creek Lake last weekend. Might be a good options.
    Semper Fi

7. Member
    Right now, I'd suggest heading over to where Rt 5 crosses Herring Creek and fish for Shad (baby tarpon) from the bank. I haven't been there in several years, but the land on one side was privately owned, I think they charged around 5 bucks a day to park and fish from the bank. The other side was also good fishing, but seems like it had limited access. On good days, when they were running hard, easily 70+ a day. Light tackle, and Crappie jigs. Fly fishing with nymphs will destroy them....
    I'd Rather be Fishing

8. Member
    For April, James river or Chesdin.

James is full of hickory shad and white perch right now. Need to be up in Richmond for shad, but the White Perch can be any/every where. And herring should be here soon. Sabiki rig jiggled near the bottom and catch perch 1-6 at a time. If you see other catching shad, then cast small spoons (gold, silver,white, yellow), shad darts or 1"-2" crappie grub in white, yellow or lime. Carolina rig them for easy casting. Also, the catfish and stripers are hungry on the James. Can be caught anywhere with a fresh piece of anything on the bottom. Shallow water or deep.

Any of these will work. No need to pay $3-6 each. Herring do prefer a red bead. Order a bunch you can have them this week. 1 oz sinker on the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sabiki+rigs&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Chesdin. Crappie. Minnows with a cork or cast a 2" grub on 1/16 oz plain lead head. Docks, wood, beaver huts. Go now.

9. Member
    Herring/perch. Spillway at Dutch gap power plant. Spillway at Falling creek. or any place your finder shows a school of fish. Drop sabiki to them and ruin the kid for life. Plus you may find them on the down current side of anything that sticks sits in the river. Barge tie off poles, pump stations etc. I don't have good luck behind jetty walls, bit anything that has water flowing around both sides can have a school next to it. Including all that wood right beside the Dutch Gap ramp.