Banned

Might be a stupid question

Do I need to be concerned with the 2 bolts that my swing away tongue hinges on? Not posing the question for any particular concern. My Shoreland'r trailer uses 2 bolts as the hinge for the swing away tongue. Just wondering if these will see wear and tear. The clevis pin doesn't wear, just wondering if the bolts will and no, I can't check them because, if anything, they will need to be cut off to check for wear. Trailer is a 2013 and is towed every weekend 8 months a year.

2. Member
    Evaluate the slop in the hinge on an ongoing basis. Is it getting worse with time?
    In my experience the bolts/pins are usually a higher grade of steel than the trailer material they pass through and the sloppy fit is a result of wear in the hinge material.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

3. Member
    As long as you are in for one question, I have a second stupid one...what would be good to lubricate the bolts/hinges/pin with, my pin is getting a little hard to put in and out...was thinking a little lube would be good, but since it goes in and out, also don't want a greasy mess on the pin..
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

4. Member
    Teflon dry lube in a spray can.
    The propellant delivers the lube and evaporates quickly.
    Lowes, HomeDepot, etc.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

5. Member
    I hate the slop in these breakaway tongues. I always put a grade 8 bolt in place of the pin and tightn it down.

6. Member
    I`ve seen pictures of when they fail. Check them yearly. CHEAP INSURANCE. $.02

7. Member
    Found one of my swing tongue mounting bolts cracked last year. Check them as well.
    Please release me,let me go.

8. Member
    Thanks!
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

9. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by champ210 View Post
    I hate the slop in these breakaway tongues. I always put a grade 8 bolt in place of the pin and tightn it down.
    I'm with Wade. If you don't need the swing away, put the bolt in and tighten both down and keep them tight.

10. Banned
    Thanks for the replies.

11. Member
    Im surprised we dont hear about tongues snapping off .. Last 2 boats I had had a little play in the hinge but out by the coupling it was about 1/2 inch of movement. That cant be good for it bouncing all the time.

12. Banned
    The hinge side on mine has no play, but the pin side is sloppy as hell. Has been since day one. If I didn't need to swing the tongue to fit the boat in my garage I'd just bolt it in place.

But, so far, it hasn't gotten worse. I don't see any noticeable wear on the pin side. It's just sloppy. Wonder if I can fab up a better pin with a bolt that fits snugly.