Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I remember someone used to make a spinnerbait that had an L shaped blade on it that had a lot of thump. Was it a bps bait? Tornado?

2. Member
    Yep there was a tornado spinnerbait that BPS sold.

We started making our own years ago because nothing out there did what we wanted. I fished at night from the time it became reasonable (late March) until the fish stopped feeding at night (November). 80% of the time I was fishing a spinnerbait, as were most of my friends. Stan Sloan makes a decent bait, but it isn't perfect. Replace the blade with a Hildebrandt of the same color and size to make it better. A few may disagree or take exception to these remarks, but here is what years of fishing them with several good fishermen involved has proven to me....

The wire needs to be stiff. The stiffer the better. We use .040 wire on our baits. Lighter wire might seem to vibrate more, but that's not the case. You want to feel every turn on the blade.

Hildebrandt blades only. Either the gold plated or chrome depending on the light conditions and the color of the skirt. More light=chrome ..... Less light =Gold.

Sampo swivels. No other brand is as smooth or as free. The blade needs to turn freely.

Size the bait to the depth. We used 3/16 ounce up to 3/8 ounce. Nothing heavier needed.

Watch a crawfish move. They go in spurts. Fish the bait that way. Short lifts and a tight line back to the bottom.

Also, the "thump" you are referring to isn't what you should be looking for. You want the blade to feel "crisp". There is a difference.

Hope some of that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    3/4 oz Spinnerbait, swap lead blade to Hillenbrandt Size 6 Colorado. You'll have carpal tunnel in 2 hours of throwing it..
    Agreed, local baitshop makes a black/red spinner bait with a brass #6 Colorado blade, it works. Use a Menace Grub as a trailer.

Or buy some #6 blades as above. Get some black spray paint.

Black because most fish are going to see it silhouetted against a lighter sky looking up at it. Single big Colorado blade for strong slow frequency thump. Heavy weight to counter the lift of the big Colorado blade and keep it down. Somebody already makes it for you in Eufaula.

http://www.strikezonelure.com/nite-bite.htm

6. Member
    I use the jewel Jolt, that thing will shake your teeth loose!

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Jewe...page-JJSB.html

7. Member
    I bought frames with .045 wire & put them together myself. I used sampo swivels. I used deep cup colorados on drop baits & a standard number 6 or 7 black chrome blades on my slow rollers & they worked great.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Black because most fish are going to see it silhouetted against a lighter sky looking up at it. Single big Colorado blade for strong slow frequency thump. Heavy weight to counter the lift of the big Colorado blade and keep it down. Somebody already makes it for you in Eufaula.

http://www.strikezonelure.com/nite-bite.htm
    Good looking stuff they have there.

I would never have thought to fish a spinner at night time. Strange things have happened though like catching catfish on senco’s at night time so it might be worth a shot. Is this best used in clear lake types of waters or anywhere there is water?
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    I would never have thought to fish a spinner at night time. Strange things have happened though like catching catfish on senco’s at night time so it might be worth a shot. Is this best used in clear lake types of waters or anywhere there is water?
    Obviously, very stained water is not good for any bait. Spinnerbaits are so good at night for 2 reasons ...... They imitate crawfish (when fished properly) and they are easily located by the sound. Best nighttime bait on the planet as far as I am concerned. And they are a great bait for bigger fish. Also, the bigger fish tend to feed more at night than in daylight, and crawfish generally move around more at night. Best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    At night fish home in on the lure from vibration. Sight, if at all, is a silhouette against the surface and moon lit sky. Water clarity is of little importance.

This is "basically" how I prefer to fish a spinnerbait at night. However, I don't like to "RIP" the bait off the bottom, but rather to move it in very short hops and falls .... simulating how a crawfish might spurt himself across the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    At night fish home in on the lure from vibration. Sight, if at all, is a silhouette against the surface and moon lit sky. Water clarity is of little importance.
    My experience says differently. I have seen nights (more than once) when the fish shunned a gold blade on a crawfish pattern, but ate a purple skirt and a chrome blade. I think light conditions have a ton of effect on what they prefer.

Where are you fishing near Prattville? Martin?
    Last edited by Hair Jig; 04-29-2020 at 08:54 AM.

No, mostly Jordan on the Coosa. And the Alabama river.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    My experience says differently. I have seen nights (more than once) when the fish shunned a gold blade on a crawfish pattern, but ate a purple shirt and a chrome blade. I think light conditions have a ton of effect on what they prefer.

Where are you fishing near Prattville? Martin?
    I was always told if there hitting the blade go up or down a shade in color helps. I stick with 3 colors brown,orange,chart. With a gold hoppys #5 w/ a chart.#11 chunk purple/pink!black #5 hoppys black nickel blade on full moon with no clouds w/ #11 black chunk On cloudy nights brown/purple w/ a barn red #11 chunk either ripping the bait on river channel swing points or slow rolling on riprap banks
    I,d rather be tried by 12 than be carried by 6

16. Member
    I have done a ton of night time bass fishing in my 67 years, and I have had the best luck on a 1/2 ounce, solid black Santone spinnerbait with a big gold blade. I’m not sure what the size is, but it’s about the size of a half dollar. I have caught some really nice bass with this bait, and usually use a trailer hook when possible.
    Last edited by deadwood; 05-04-2020 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Spelling error

18. Member
    Take a #7 or#8 Colorado blade, preferably a Hildebrant Blade. Next to the factory hole, drill and use this new hole. The OLD Hatchet blades were the best thumpers you could get. The old ones were thick stamped brass, nothing like the tinny blades today.

19. Member
    We put 42 bass, 13 keepers with 5 over 3# in the boat last Wednesday night. E Factor 3/4 oz night time spinnerbait. It's not on their website, but Steve will make em if you ask him. He's made them for me in 1/2 and 3/4 with any blade I want. I have a couple with a #8. Haven't used those yet. Hands down one of best spinnerbaits(any style) I've ever used. Great company that provides a service.
    http://www.e-factorlures.com/
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123