A little confusing sorry!!

Mercury 250 4 stroke # 2B594282. How can I test to see if my motor is charging my starting battery while running?? No I don't have vessel view but I am just watching my volt gauge on the boat and it doesn't seem to move when I am running. I noticed a couple times that when I adjusted the trim while running I got a low voltage warning on my Solix unit and also when I started the motor. It was showing 10.9 low voltage warning on my Solix I have a new X2 31 series battery which was fully charged when I left. I was only out for 6 hours. Never turned on the livewells and running two Solix 12's. I made a few runs during the day probably about 15 minutes of run time. When I got home before charging the battery I put a volt meter on the battery and it read 11.98. The voltage supply on solix showed 11.3 at the same time the volt meter would show 11.98. Is that about normal should I be worried its not charging? Sorry if this is confusing! Thanks

2. Member
    I have been reading some older posts is there a fuse under the cowling to check that might be the reason for it not charging?

3. Member
    I started mine up on muffs in the driveway and voltage went right to 14.4 or 14.5 at idle. I check it with a volt meter on multi meter. But mine was a 150 Verado. Did you turn down the back light on both of your Solix's? The back lighting is a very big part of the current draw on a battery.
    Ches.
    2013 Lund 2010 Pro Guide, 150 Verado SN:2B024387
    2X Helix 12's Mega G2N's, Lvl. 2 Merc Monitor

Have you taken the cowling off? We've seen a few alternator belts come apart on V8's.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ches. View Post
    I started mine up on muffs in the driveway and voltage went right to 14.4 or 14.5 at idle. I check it with a volt meter on multi meter. But mine was a 150 Verado. Did you turn down the back light on both of your Solix's? The back lighting is a very big part of the current draw on a battery.
    Ches.
    Thanks will give that a try and see what happens. No I didn’t turn down my Solix but the more I think about it I really don’t think it’s charging. It doesn’t make sense that while runnning at 4500 rpm that if I hit the trim it shows a low voltage.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    Have you taken the cowling off? We've seen a few alternator belts come apart on V8's.
    Thanks will take a look at that. No I didn’t take the cowling off. Is that something I would see right away when I take the cowling off? I am hoping for a quick easy fix like a fuse or something before I have to bring it to a mechanic.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Test voltage at the cranking battery, before starting... and then 5 minutes after starting engine (with engine running).

If there is not a notable increase in voltage, test voltage at the large RED output wire on the alternator, while the engine is idling and report results.

Since the engine is under Warranty, this is normally something you would have an Authorized Dealer Check. There are, however, some items that would not be covered, so the above test will help to determine the situation.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Test voltage at the cranking battery, before starting... and then 5 minutes after starting engine (with engine running).

If there is not a notable increase in voltage, test voltage at the large RED output wire on the alternator, while the engine is idling and report results.

Since the engine is under Warranty, this is normally something you would have an Authorized Dealer Check. There are, however, some items that would not be covered, so the above test will help to determine the situation.
    Don thank you for the reply! I will do that today. Could it be one of the fuses under the cowling? or is that wishful thinking!

9. Member
    Might want to try a couple different meters also. There can be a good deviance between digital meters.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffnugly81 View Post
    Might want to try a couple different meters also. There can be a good deviance between digital meters.

Its true that meters can vary, but its not important for this particular test. What matters is the voltage reading prior to starting the engine, in comparison to the voltage reading while engine is running after a 5 min idle. Both readings should be done with the same meter so that any variance between meters is eliminated.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    Its true that meters can vary, but its not important for this particular test. What matters is the voltage reading prior to starting the engine, in comparison to the voltage reading while engine is running after a 5 min idle. Both readings should be done with the same meter so that any variance between meters is eliminated.
    Correct. If your meter is so poor it can't measure 12 - 14v and you feel it's necessary to use 2 or 3 to verify battery voltage or alternator output you need to buy a better meter.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    So I was away for a couple weeks and finally able to confirm if there was a charging issue. I did a volt meter test before running the engine and then again after a long run with the engine still running. The volts were lower after the run so I knew it was definitely not charging. Took off the cowling and 21xTriton hit the nail on the head! The alternator belt was in pieces! So now I need to find someone who can replace and the earliest is looking like 3 weeks!? Hoping I don't need to wait that long.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Belt replacement isn't that hard if you have the installer and a new belt.

Make sure you clean up and remove all of the old belt material (so it doesn't end up inside the engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor