Harley Pan America

I was out riding with my FIL this weekend (he has a Harley Tri-Glide) when his coolant and check engine light came on. We stopped and checked the coolant level which was good. Then we called the local Harley dealer and they said to ride it on in. It was not over heating. So, he rode it about 30 mins on into the dealership and left it. The sales person there that I had been talking with prior to buying walked out and took a gander at my new BMW F800GS and showed me a picture of this

https://themotorcycleobsession.com/2...-america-1250/

I didn't know Harley was working on an adventure bike? They said it should be in the show rooms this fall as a 2020 model. Harley has a long hill to climb to draw in adventure bike riders. I know it was tough for me not to buy a reliable Honda Africa Twin over the BMW. I looked for a left over F800 vs the new F850 knowing BMW seems to have the bugs worked out of the old technology. I also wanted something fun and less than 500 pounds. This left out most Harley's.

Hope Harley knocks it out of the park!

Seems to me they will build and try to sell anything to keep the brand alive at this point. What these manufacturers don’t seem to realize is they are pricing themselves out of business. Prices are just climbing so fast. New Road King I looked at was over $20,000. Too much for the average guy or gal with all the bills we have these days. At least that’s the way I feel.

3. Member
    I’ve bought three new HD’s over the years Pat. I don’t think you are alone thinking that. HD has weathered many a storm. I sure hope they make it through this one. The ADV segment is red hot right now, hopefully they are not too far behind the power curve.

was looking at one of the Road Kings when I bought mine. granted it was a used bike and was still 10k for a used bike.
    the new ones were way north of that.
    its no different than the Auto market. any of you all priced a new truck...

Yeah, Have seen new trucks topping 70 grand a few times if you throw in a diesel... Just finally found my daughter a used vehicle. Had 6 grand to spend and it still took days to find something decent...

6. Member
    Likewise for boats and many other products, insane!

7. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    It really seems as though when Willie G retired the bikes have really gone south as far as styling goes. Hate they did away with dynas.

I think they are on the downhill run. Seems they are scrambling to grasp on to an identity right now. The bikes of yesterday just don’t appeal to the younger crowd, sadly.

Two years ago I bought my last bike I’ll ever own brand new. Really like the roadglide. Nothing from HD I’ve ever ridden compares to that bike. It’s so smooth it’s scary.

8. Member
    I always said if I owned another HD it would be a Roadglide. My FIL’s bike ended up being a bad water pump. I never dreamed it would be a water pump on a Harley, just not something that comes to mind. It happens.

Every used Harley I looked at had aftermarket loud pipes. My local dealer thought I was nuts for wanting stock exhaust back on them. I never changed the exhaust on my last one. You know you’re getting old when....

9. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    The M8 engine is the most powerful, smoothest, engine yet. The torque is insane. The first year I had it I was coming back from Arkansas bikes blues and bbq and was on 71 hiway north with the cruise set at 90. Passing everything on the road. Got to Nevada and pulled in for lunch. As I was eating I saw a guy I had passed. He had a semi hopped in twin cam 96 or 103. He was bragging at the gas pump how he had to hold his bike back for his group to keep up. I was thinking to myself - didn’t I blow by you about 35-40 miles back? Lol. I normally don’t ride that fast but was in a hurry to get home. The road glide with the 107 will roll.

Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Fowl View Post
    The M8 engine is the most powerful, smoothest, engine yet. The torque is insane. The first year I had it I was coming back from Arkansas bikes blues and bbq and was on 71 hiway north with the cruise set at 90. Passing everything on the road. Got to Nevada and pulled in for lunch. As I was eating I saw a guy I had passed. He had a semi hopped in twin cam 96 or 103. He was bragging at the gas pump how he had to hold his bike back for his group to keep up. I was thinking to myself - didn’t I blow by you about 35-40 miles back? Lol. I normally don’t ride that fast but was in a hurry to get home. The road glide with the 107 will roll.
    So you know then what my Vulcan 2000 will do with 2053cc (125ci) does.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

11. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    So you know then what my Vulcan 2000 will do with 2053cc (125ci) does.
    no idea about a metric. I assume that’s some sort of motorcycle? I thought this post was strictly about HD.

Harley’s first attempt to offer an Adventure bike so bikers can finally got to bars with gravel parking lots!!

Joking!!

I hope they do well, but it needs to have good brakes & suspension, handles well, good ground clearance, reliable and most importantly which Harley has a hard time getting right, LIGHTWEIGHT, not some 700lb Hog!!

Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Fowl View Post
    no idea about a metric. I assume that’s some sort of motorcycle? I thought this post was strictly about HD.
    Nope, OP opened it up when he mentioned BMW, eat my rice burning dust.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115