Smith Mountain Lake ( Last Weekend April) Big Bass Tour

Can my BBC buddies help out a member that has never been on this lake.My son wants to go down and fish the Big Bass Tour the last weekend of this month.Looked at Priceline.com and looks like there are a ton of places to stay near Richmond but I know that all of them cannot be boat friendly.Any suggestions from you guys on where or where not to stay would be greatly appreciated,also any suggestions on baits that's good this time of year.If you guys would rather PM me that's fine.Does anyone know what the water temp should be the last of this month?Thanks guys,good luck and good fishing
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

2. Member
    Richmond isn’t anywhere close to SML
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    Steer clear of Richmond. Lots of rental properties on the lake. Closest town is Bedford Va.. By the end of April just about any bait will catch some bass. I enjoy topwater baits in the morning then probably a shakey head under docks in the PM. Bring your son and come on down and have some fun

4. Member
    Lake inn is closest but you’ll need a chiropractor the next day. I’m staying in Rocky Mount this weekend

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmlRanger View Post
    Richmond isn’t anywhere close to SML
    Sorry I meant to say Roanoke.Up too late
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

There are plenty of places to stay...Roanoke, Rocky Mount, Bedford, even a couple of motels on the lake, or a cabin at the state Park.

https://westlake-waterfront-inn.com/
    https://www.halesfordharbourrv.com/?...mqNWKgQ15Kfd3o
    http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-pa...cabins_camping

Look for a cabin in the State Park if still available.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wentbroketryingtogopro View Post
    Sorry I meant to say Roanoke.Up too late
    Roanoke isnt a bad drive, about an hour. To the furthest part of the lake
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

9. Member
    My uncle has been past now for around 10 years.For what this is worth I regret never going to Smith Mountain and fishing with him.He always loved going there from the last week of april all through may if my memory serves me correctly.I am thinking he said for the most part that the smallmouth would be coming off the nest while the largemouth was going on the nest so the fishing would always be pretty good for him.He loved topwater fishing and especially fishing the "fluke".I may be off some on the times but if I am maybe some of you guys can chime in and let us know.I just know when april and may come alone he spent a lot of time on claytor and smith mountain top water fishing.Thanks guys and good luck fishing this year
    keep working,your neighbor thanks you

Smith is my home lake... it has PLENTY of bass in it... but you shouldn't be surprised if you don't get ALL the info to catch bass on here... alot of tight lipped people but those are the 1s that will be fishing in that tournament including ME and my buddy. Come on down and enjoy a great lake and fishery

Water temp will probably be mid 60s to lower 70s depending on where you're at on the lake. I saw 65 last weekend in some places.

Check out the Baymont Inn in Rocky Mount. Nice affordable place to stay and about 30 minutes to the nearest ramp.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO